PDA

View Full Version : Magic A WIP

ExpressMark
05-08-2004, 08:09 PM
I am using a new method here. I did a pencil drawing of this, scanned it then removed the pencil and replaced the pencil with a very light blue.

The rest is self explanitory in the image as I am laying in the first layers of this very interesting CHaracter

So tell me what do ya think of this guy, kind of scarry or mysterious huh?

http://vbmarko.home.mchsi.com/MyImages/Magic.jpg

ExpressMark
MBStudios

Jet
05-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Good one Mark...something like a sketch in blue print...

Going up !!

Regards

JCoop
05-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi Mark... I know why this strikes me as a bit scary and mysterious... because it resembles Vincent Price, the master of horror. Don't you think?
I know this is going to turn out very interesting... I'll be checking back in on ya.

ExpressMark
05-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Hi Mark... I know why this strikes me as a bit scary and mysterious... because it resembles Vincent Price, the master of horror. Don't you think?
I know this is going to turn out very interesting... I'll be checking back in on ya.

LOL, He does sort of look like Vincent Price! Didnt notice that till you mentioned it. Oh well I am sure that will change or then again it might grow more like Him.

Cant wait to update this one as I really like the way its going.

Updates soon. Sometime I need to get the tute finished, I sort of got side tracked Sorry all!

ExpressMark
MBStudios

ExpressMark
05-09-2004, 02:33 AM
OK heres an update for tonight and more tomorrow!!!

I placed the first step at the bottom Left and will continue to do this so the steps are preserved and you can see how each feature comes to life.

The main thing is dont worry about perfect shape at first as you wil build as you build each layer.

BTW I have added a Bonus if you havent noticed. But next to the main figure is the palette I am using. Just in case you might want to try to simplify your palette or give these a try.

I am keeping them in groups, you can see the main flesh and also the shadows and highlights.

Enjoy!!!

ExpressMark
MBStudios

captan
05-09-2004, 05:44 AM
I am using a new method here. I did a pencil drawing of this, scanned it then removed the pencil and replaced the pencil with a very light blue.

Why? :confused:

ExpressMark
05-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Why? :confused:

Well easy answer but first let me restate part of that. Its not a new method, its simply a method I dont use on most of my work so its something new to those that are familiar to my work.

Anyway, the pencil can be somewhat dominating while working this method really replaces the the pencil with a clean canvas.
You see Im really not replacing it with a color, its it removes the pencil and where the pencil was is negative area, the blue simply shows that negative area instead of a checkerboard you might see I see blue.

I hope that explains the why, this allows me to work on the canvas direct without it making my color muddy when I am blending.
There are other methods, I find this to be the cleanest.

ExpressMark
MBStudios

captan
05-09-2004, 11:40 AM
ok, if I understood you correctly this is what you do:

1. scan pencil drawing
2. "erase" (I'd call it "redraw") the entire drawing with a blue brush/pencil tool instead of the eraser tool (I suppose that is what you meant by not showing the checkerboard (meaning it doesn't get transparent but preserves the "erased" areas nontransparent - in this case blue))

sorry I don't mean to offend if you by chance would think that - but drawing the same drawing twice like that seems like a waste of time to me - if all you want is make the pencil drawing less dominant all you need to do is (in photoshop):

1. scan pencil drawing
2. create new layer above the pencil one
3. use the paint bucket tool and fill the new layer with a blue color (or any color you want)
4. change the layer blending mode to "screen", "overlay" or "color" (whichever you prefer)
5. merge the two layers

and your pencil sketch has turned blue.

more steps, but much faster/easier I'd say...

a pencil sketch...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2004/14313-exampleBefore.gif

...turns into a colored pencil sketch...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2004/14313-exampleAfter.gif

not only do you preserve the transparency as it is (white stays white) - you don't loose any of the delicate shading and line play you can create using analog media (which is very difficult to reproduce digitally even with a tablet)

ExpressMark
05-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Actually that is not what I did or do.

I sorry if I wasnt clear. But let me try again, but first you would br right it would be a waste of time sort of to redraw but you dont need to.

I will probably make tutorial sometime to show this exact procedure. Great thing is you can get this done in painter with a couple of clicks without the need of opening Photo SHop.

What I am doing in sort is selecting the drawing so that every pencil stroke is selected and then deleting it.
Thats pretty much it ina nut shell and can be accolpished with with one button in Painter 8 then hit delete or Cntrl plus X

I dont redraw it! Sorry for the confusion I thought I was clear.

The blue you see is automatically placed there by painter in fact the blue is not effected by your blenders or brushes it is nothing more than an imprinted shadow of what was that you can paint over. Without the worries of going through multiple steps of layering and merging.

In fact it takes 2 steps one is choosing the selection method of which I will go into in a tutorial I am working on, the 2nd step is hitting Cntrl + X

Thats it go to painting. Pretty cool I think! Oh also very important to mention you lose no detail or delicate Shadows or lines :)

ExpressMark
MBStudios

captan
05-09-2004, 02:15 PM
oh I see, you use the "wand tool" (I guess?) - that is done almost exactly the same way in photoshop too (don't use Painter so that's why I always use Photoshop terms).

Is it possible to use the wand tool in Painter with anti-aliasing? - so when you fill the selection with color you don't get a "flat" fill with jagged pixelated edges like it seems to be on your image?

ExpressMark
05-09-2004, 02:42 PM
oh I see, you use the "wand tool" (I guess?) - that is done almost exactly the same way in photoshop too (don't use Painter so that's why I always use Photoshop terms).

Is it possible to use the wand tool in Painter with anti-aliasing? - so when you fill the selection with color you don't get a "flat" fill with jagged pixelated edges like it seems to be on your image?

Yes you can use the Wand tool in Painter with anti - aliasing however, I dont use the wand tool but I can accomplish the same effect that way.

There is a menu option that performs better than the Wand tool I feel. But I have done it with the Wand tool. All Painter has done is simplified the steps into a button click. Also, the end result I feel is better. I have and use photo shop too as well as PSP 8. Anyway, the part I like about Painters steps is the end result which is basically your drawing water marked sort of for lack of a better term on the background though it leaves the detail intact so you can paint right over it and it not mix with the pigment or color you place on the canvas.
Nor can you take your blending tools and effect it.

For instance if I was to take the smudge tool and run over the drawing as you see on my painting the blue area the smudge tool would have no effect.

This I like, keeps the painting very clean.

:)

ExpressMark
MBStudios

ExpressMark
05-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Heres an update

Step by Step image
http://vbmarko.home.mchsi.com/MyImages/Magic2.jpg

ExpressMark
MBStudios

Cronious
05-10-2004, 03:12 PM
You have a freaky mind.... love the imagination and the image :clap:

ExpressMark
05-10-2004, 03:51 PM
You have a freaky mind.... love the imagination and the image :clap:
Yeah it is a bit different from my norm. But, it is a fun deviation :D

ExpressMark
MBStudios

baquitania
05-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Thanks Captan for the mini-tut. Being a PS person myself I understood what you meant as easy as pie. Mark I have to say my lack of knowledge on Painter here only helps to confuse me when you speak... please please please finish the tutorial... the image is coming out great!

Bobby

ExpressMark
05-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Just updated the pic! Its starting to come to life now. I am laying the first layer of the background. This so I can begin work on the foreground and bring it to its next level.

http://vbmarko.home.mchsi.com/MyImages/Magic2.jpg

ExpressMark
MBStudios

flowerfancy58
05-11-2004, 05:08 PM
This is super Mark!! Looks like Vincent Price...... could have been a poster for one of his old movies, lol!!

gloria:)

ExpressMark
05-11-2004, 10:15 PM
This is super Mark!! Looks like Vincent Price...... could have been a poster for one of his old movies, lol!!

gloria:)
Yes, He does resemble Vincent Price, in fact afte JCoop mentioned I did a search and was amzed at certain pics of Vincent how much he looks like Him.

Totally but acceptable accident lol

Movie poster, you know it would be neat to get to paint like the Old style illustrators did.

ExpressMark
MBStudios

JulieBoyles
05-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi Mark! I've been meaning to get on here and tell you how much I'm enjoying this piece take shape! :clap: :clap: I really like the way you work your skin tones and how the face comes to life. OK, OK,, I'll admit the no eyes thing kinda freaked me out at first, but now I'm used to it! :p Anyway, I hope you'll update the progress soon. I'm anxiously awaiting the tut too!

Thank you,

Julie

Jin
05-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi Mark and captan,

Mark, it's very interesting watching your painting come to life, and helpful to a lot of us watching another artist work. Thanks for taking the time to share your work in progress.

You've made me very curious about your mysterious process! ;)

Since I couldn't resist trying to figure out what you meant, I've outlined a few methods that could be used, then listed the steps I would use to make the process more efficient.

I don't want to hijack your thread so here's a link if you want to read it all:

Other Methods to Isolate Line Work and Change it from Black to Blue (http://www.pixelalley.com/wetcanvas/isolate_linework_change_to_blue.html)

I look forward to reading your tutorial, just to see if I got even close.

In the meantime, enjoying your painting process is great.

Thanks again! :)

digistyle
05-17-2004, 11:45 PM
This is coming along great, Mark! Though I get the Vincent Price references, this has more of a Dr. Strange vibe for me (Marvel comics readers will get it!).

digistyle