PDA

View Full Version : Dreamtime Printmaking

colorme
09-12-2001, 06:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2001/bear.jpg
Bear Aura

Here's the print that i told sassy I would post here. We studied Aboriginal art, I don't know if anyone has heard of or seen Aboriginal art, I'm sure someone has, it's neat, they make x-ray paintings of animals, my art teacher told us to imagine a roadkilled animal sliced in the middle:eek:. She wanted our prints to have a story/myth, mine was the Bear Aura Era..lol, I made up a story about how the Aura Bears disappeared in Australia a long time ago..blah blah. It was quite a long story that didn't make sence but no one cared, so I had fun:). Sorry it's kind of busy, it was my first time working with linocut.

ps.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2001/blank.jpg
here is the linocut look at the end, we had to sketch the design first and then carve out each color, it's hard to exlpain..i'm sure you understand if you know about printmaking, and here's a dead cat i was going to do if I changed my mind about the bear.

sassybird
09-19-2001, 12:58 PM
colorme,

You did a great job on these prints. Did you do these in lino cut? Printmaking is my first love.

A few years ago I had an oppurtunity to go to Australia and work with the Aborigini artist to teach them printmaking techniques. But, I stayed here to get married.....lol Choices, choices. I will still make it over there one day even if it isn't in a teaching capacity. There imagry is so rich, you just can't help but be in awe.

colorme
09-19-2001, 09:54 PM
hi sassy, I did do this in lino cut:), I wanted to go to Australia like two years ago for a student exchange thing..but I never went because it was too expensive...the first time I saw Aboriginal art was in my art class and I liked it a lot, I like their colors and and how every sign and symbol has a meaning.

sassybird
09-19-2001, 10:15 PM
Did you know that most Aborignial art is dream art?

Leaflin
09-20-2001, 02:33 PM
I like your Bear Aura colorme. :)
Very colourful.

Mich451
09-20-2001, 02:57 PM
I like it.

I collect Australian aboriginal art. Mine are on bark and boomerangs.

colorme
09-20-2001, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by sassybird
Did you know that most Aborignial art is dream art?
Yea, we studied Aboriginal art for a week before doing this, I read somewhere that they don't like it when people call it Dreamtime.

thank you Leaflin:) and Mich- we printed this on brown paper so it would look like bark.

JulezNyoongar
10-31-2003, 04:58 AM
Aliwah,
Yes the word instead of 'Dreamtime'....,which is an anthropological 'guess-job', should be Tjukurrpa....which is a multi-holistic-phycological, metaphysical...you name it really....Australia has about 400+ tribal groups (that's what's left after continual colonialism) that practice interlocking philosophical engagement at the 'deep end' of humanist theory....and as an indigenous person who 'lives' in this Tjukurrpa...that includes artwork too....I have issue with something you said;
what was it?.....Oh Yeah..." Bear Aura Era...."??? That totem doesn't exhist here mate!!!.....that's one right out of your 'Non-Caring' mind...Maybe you should do some more surfin' on the net and look up our mob before you 'dabble' around the edge...it's a deep pool of knowledge over here and it won't drown ya...Ya gotta get ya feet more wet than that cuddah...your missin' out...
And...if i may be so bold, your pencil drawing looks like a 'road-kill' pussy-cat...cool.....you may need to do a better registration marker for your print...the edges don't exactly fit together....it takes practice....in order to get the colours to fit perfect-like and you didn't have enough black ink on your last print layer....you may have to sandpaper the lino before you do it again....that's if you wanna.....!!!!
Goodluck and have a little more tact/reguard/respect/interest...and less of the USA (United States of Apathy)....

and sassybird "Did you know that most Aborignial art is dream art?" Answer from my ancestors to you:"No it isn't?"

Cheers,
JulezNyoongar

lisilk
10-31-2003, 05:21 AM
And on a lighter note.... Color me, you may want to check out this project where you " interpret " other cultures creativity without having to be an anthropologist. :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=539

Li

sassybird
10-31-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by JulezNyoongar
Aliwah,
Yes the word instead of 'Dreamtime'....,which is an anthropological 'guess-job', should be Tjukurrpa....which is a multi-holistic-phycological, metaphysical...you name it really....Australia has about 400+ tribal groups (that's what's left after continual colonialism) that practice interlocking philosophical engagement at the 'deep end' of humanist theory....and as an indigenous person who 'lives' in this Tjukurrpa...that includes artwork too....I have issue with something you said;
what was it?.....Oh Yeah..." Bear Aura Era...."??? That totem doesn't exhist here mate!!!.....that's one right out of your 'Non-Caring' mind...Maybe you should do some more surfin' on the net and look up our mob before you 'dabble' around the edge...it's a deep pool of knowledge over here and it won't drown ya...Ya gotta get ya feet more wet than that cuddah...your missin' out...
And...if i may be so bold, your pencil drawing looks like a 'road-kill' pussy-cat...cool.....you may need to do a better registration marker for your print...the edges don't exactly fit together....it takes practice....in order to get the colours to fit perfect-like and you didn't have enough black ink on your last print layer....you may have to sandpaper the lino before you do it again....that's if you wanna.....!!!!
Goodluck and have a little more tact/reguard/respect/interest...and less of the USA (United States of Apathy)....

and sassybird "Did you know that most Aborignial art is dream art?" Answer from my ancestors to you:"No it isn't?"

Cheers,
JulezNyoongar

Let me address a few things in your post.

#1 We do not insult people in this forum. I will not tolerate it as a moderator, nor do the members take statements like this favorably that's one right out of your 'Non-Caring' mind...

#2 We do not tear peoples work apart. Constructive critiques are the way to talk about anothers work, not statements like this.And...if i may be so bold, your pencil drawing looks like a 'road-kill' pussy-cat... This is insulting, and also not tolerated well in ANY forum on wetcanvas.

#3 We do not attack the country that another person lives in have a little more tact/reguard/respect/interest...and less of the USA (United States of Apathy).... This is an international site with people from all over the world participating. YOU should take time to browse and aquaint yourself with the site before spouting off to the members.

#4 My statement comes from talking with many people from Australia including those of the indigenous population that I have known for over 20 years. As in the native American tribes there are different beliefs even within the same tribes among the indigenous people of Australia.

#5 Comments and suggestions are always welcome in the forums as they help the artists grow in their work. Any thing rude and condescending will summarily be edited by monderators or the owner of the site.

#6 Read the site policy again. You had to read and agree to it before your membership was accepted. Those policies are not suggestions they are firmly enforced for the benefit of all members.

#7 Do not think that this is a personal attack on you, as you attacked the artist and the United States. We do not have prejudice here, nor is it tolerated. If you wish to be a productive member of wetcanvas then you must follow site policy. Note the 3 strikes policy in the user agreement.

Tamana
11-03-2003, 03:14 PM
:clap: :clap:

I hope you keep at it!!!

Sassy - well said.

paintergirl
11-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Very cool Colorme...definitely has an aboriginal flavor to it, thanks for sharing this :)
Maybe you might share more on the lino-cutting when you have a moment? Sounds like an interesting process!

colorme
11-04-2003, 02:59 PM
okay thank you sassy :)

alll i have to say
1. this post is 2 years old, I was only 15
2. I was in 10th grade when i printed that
3. that IS a cat in the drawing, its one of about 20 animal sketches i made OBVIOUSLY not the sketch of the bear.
4. The bear aura came from my imagination, we didn't have to pick a real aboriginal myth.
5. I was not trying to disrespect anyone’s culture..goodbye

sassybird
11-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by colorme

sassybird
11-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by colorme

You never showed any disrespect for anyone or their culture :) And, I hope that goodbye was just a closing sentiment to your post. You keep on posting!

paintergirl
11-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Keep on posting Colorme, I enjoy your style...and maybe you will share some info on the lino-cutting when you have a moment? :D

Jakeally
11-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Absolutely...... we would love to see more of your work:cat:

pampe
11-05-2003, 09:12 PM
very nice piece

good totem animal, that