PDA

View Full Version : 1rst painting complete

newtopaint
09-12-2001, 05:43 PM
Hi Everyone,
Here is my first painting completed frome the Jerry yarnell series Book 1. I had trouble with the large tree and the leaves on the backround trees. I seemed to have NOT followed his directions to well. But i just have to keep practicing. If any of you have advice as to where i can improve and what to do, please tell me. I used Grumbacker acrylics.

Thanks to bug and Perri for your replies!!

Go easy on me! He he!!

Karen :-)

vallarta
09-12-2001, 06:12 PM
You did a fine, first painting, copying from Yarnell's book. In doing so I now suggest you look at the painting and ask yourself a series of questions. DO I LIKE THE COLORS? HAVE I MADE THE PICTURE LOOK REAL? IS THERE EVIDENCE OF SPACING BETWEEN THE NEAR THINGS AND THE FAR THINGS? ETC.

WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU DON'T LIKE, THEN RESOLVE NOT TO DO IT AGAIN AND PERHAPS PAINT THE PICTURE OVER.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND ACRYLICS ARE HARD TO WORK WITH. THEY DRY VERY FAST. I suggest you use a combination of 50% acrylic medium and 50% water to mix with your paints. This will slow down the drying time a bit making it easier to handle.

I suggest you also go to your library and check out 4-6 books on painting...oils, acrylics, landscapes. Scan thru the book and see if they answer some of your questions. A good painter is always trying to LEARN. PAINTERS experiment, fail, and then experiment again. We learn from each bump in the road. Keep up the good work and above all KEEP PAINTING.

vallarta

newtopaint
09-12-2001, 06:50 PM
Thankyou Vallarta for your encouragement and for your help! i will keep painting even if i become discouraged at times, i will remember your great advice!

Thanks. newtopaint

Rose Queen
09-12-2001, 08:07 PM
Well, please don't get too discouraged, because this is a very fine first effort. I really like the reflection and sky colors and I think you did a nice job composing it. You definitely have something, so keep working at it! :clap:

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

bug
09-13-2001, 08:55 AM
Very well done. Love the effects you achieved. Only thing that sticks out to me is the 3 plants there in the water they look as if sitting on top. maybe a bit of reflection would help with that but otherwise really nice job. :clap:

More importantly did you enjoy yourself? That is what really counts, I paint to please myself if others like it all the better but enjoying it will help you keep at it and get better as you go.
:D :D :clap:

crazi4art
09-13-2001, 04:33 PM
if this is your first you are awesome. my first painting would never look this good. great job!

Sumafra
09-13-2001, 11:52 PM
Congratulations. I can't believe this is just your first painting. For a first painting, it is really something. Don't give up, you're doing great.

:clap: :clap:

perry31415
09-14-2001, 09:44 AM
Wonderful first painting. Wonderful painting.

My first painting won first prize in an art contest. I was nine years old at the time.

That was the peak of my art carreer (sigh).

What helps me to have a fresh eye is to look at the painting reflected in a mirror.

Although whenever I do this my wife gives me a funny look. Oh well.

Have fun, otherwise it becomes work (shudder).

PCool
09-15-2001, 08:47 AM
First time out? Geez! You have nerves of steel. I do not know you, but I am proud of your work already. Keep painting and studying. I am the only living witness to my first painting.

vallarta
09-15-2001, 07:35 PM
I have put you on my "buddy" list. Feel free to write me anytime.

Beware of the color purple. I know Jerry Y uses it a lot...but if you notice he uses it more for mixes then he ever uses it for colors.

Purple by itself often "overpowers" and gives the painting a color scheme that not many react to positively. For your next painting try to use purple only in a mix if you use it at all.

vallarta

newtopaint
09-15-2001, 08:26 PM
Thanyou all for your encouragement and for your help!!! This a great place to be and so warm!! thanks to each and EVERYONE of you for taking the time!!

Sincerely, Karen :-):clap:

Tony Perrotta
09-17-2001, 05:41 PM
Hi I've been learning to paint for about 3 mo. now. If my work turned out like that now I would be very happy. Great Job. You should be proud of yourself!!!!!!!!!

Tony

dollardays
09-18-2001, 08:45 AM
This is nothing to be ashamed of, especially for a first painting. I think it's wonderful. You can learn a lot by copying someone's art that you admire and any painting that you take time to complete will teach you more about color, which is probably the toughest thing to learn in painting. I'm just beginning to paint myself and I read a lot of books. Great work- post some more! :) Nora

ReallyColorBlind
06-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Karen,
What a great first painting, and I'm glad you had the courage to post it. I'm new to the world of painting and haven't finished a complete painting yet.

May I make one comment. I switched from acrylics to oil because I couldn't handle how fast acrylics dried. The only thing that jumps out at me, is the saturation of color (this was my main struggle with acrylics). The water might benefit from a few more shadows and reflections, I'm not exactly sure of how to change things to make your painting better though. As I said, I'm about as new as they come when it comes to painting, so maybe someone else can give you more constructive ideas (or tell me that I'm way off base on what I'm talking about).

All in all though, you did a fantastic job. If my first painting turns out as well as yours did, I wouldn't hesitate to display it.

mf.sutton
06-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Karen, not only is this a great first painting, is it a very good painting anyhow, you must keep on doing the right things and as has been suggested work out whatever you dont like and dont do them again, anyway keep painting and posting I will be looking out for new work from you - mike

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 12:25 PM
i like it. it's unique. it's your's. it's your first. we can only go forward from there.

and i'm partial to vibrant coloring. :D

surreal
06-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Your use of color is excellent!

surreal:)

donsha
06-16-2002, 03:32 PM
This is a wonderful first effort, I wish my first effort had been as good. I agree about acrylics being hard to work with due to their drying out, but the vivid colours of acrylic are so well worth the effort. Your first painting is great you should be very proud of it.

Look forward to seeing more of your work soon.:clap: :clap: