PDA

View Full Version : Here's something you can actually do for New York

Rose Queen
09-12-2001, 05:20 PM
Here are two things that you can do today.

1) Give blood. If you can give blood, do it: no excuses. The effect of this crisis will ripple through the nation's blood supply for months. Although people are mobbing current blood drives in an effort to give immediately, it will matter just as much, or possibly more, if you do it a month from now. It doesn't matter where you live; your blood will help these victims.

Since the American Red Cross's 800 lines are overwhelmed, get in touch with your local RC for
information. Look in the phone book for it under "American Red Cross," or log on to their website at www.redcross.org. You can find the chapter nearest you just by entering your zip code.

2) Give money. Although there are several relief organizations, including the Red Cross, that will need help funding this disaster recovery effort, my heart has gone out in a particular area. www.Firehouse.com, a nationwide website resource for the firefighting community, has set up a memorial fund for the families of the firefighters who have lost their lives trying to rescue victims from the WTC disaster. This first group of FDNY rescue workers on the scene suffered devastating losses when the towers collapsed.

I would encourage you to donate any amount of money that you can spare to this worthwhile fund.

New York Bravest Memorial Fund
c/o Firehouse.com
9658 Baltimore Avenue, Suite 350
College Park, MD 20740

Make checks or money orders payable to the fund. Please do not send cash.

Do one or both of these things and I guarantee you'll feel a bit less helpless. Also, pass this message along to as many people as you can.

MissMouse
09-12-2001, 05:23 PM
I have an idea - how about we all do a special piece of art to sell or donate to auction off for this worthy cause.