PDA

View Full Version : Hi folks.

Moosehead
05-08-2004, 02:01 AM
Hi everyone. This is almost a copy of my 1st post, which was in the "newbie" forum, earlier today. I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks, and finally thought I should introduce myself. WC is fantastic. I took up acrylic painting a few weeks ago. So far my instruction comes from books and WC. I really haven't been involved in any type of art since childhood. Its much like golf which I took up a few years ago. I'm not that good at it, but I love it anyway. I am going to attemp to attach 4 of my paintings. I welcome any comments and critiques. These are all acrylics. "Barbados-North Shore", and Bears are on 16x20 stretched canvas, the barn is on 12 x16 canvas board, and the beach is on 12 x16 panel. The photography isn't great-the beach horizon isn't really sloped as it appears. Thanks all.

cunparis
05-08-2004, 03:34 AM
Hi everyone. This is almost a copy of my 1st post, which was in the "newbie" forum, earlier today. I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks, and finally thought I should introduce myself. WC is fantastic. I took up acrylic painting a few weeks ago. So far my instruction comes from books and WC. I really haven't been involved in any type of art since childhood. Its much like golf which I took up a few years ago. I'm not that good at it, but I love it anyway. I am going to attemp to attach 4 of my paintings. I welcome any comments and critiques. These are all acrylics. "Barbados-North Shore", and Bears are on 16x20 stretched canvas, the barn is on 12 x16 canvas board, and the beach is on 12 x16 panel. The photography isn't great-the beach horizon isn't really sloped as it appears. Thanks all.

I can't believe you've only been painting for a few weeks! Your paintings are great, at the rate you're going (if you can keep it up) they'll be awesome. I like the variety of styles, and I think you did a really good job with the sky in the impressionistic one.

Michael

ExpressiveAngie
05-08-2004, 09:18 AM
I agree with Michael 100 %.

Moosehead
05-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks to both of you. As for the variety of styles, I guess I'm trying different things out. The barn is a monochromatic, inspired by another monochromatic posted here (same palette-different subject). As a rule do more experienced painters tend to stick to one type of style, or do they continue to use various styles (eg some more impressionistic, some more realistic)? Also, I was wondering if it is considered ok to sort of mix styles in the same painting. With the "bears" I was trying to render the bears fairly accurately, but as you noted, the sky is more "impressionistic".

cunparis
05-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks to both of you. As for the variety of styles, I guess I'm trying different things out. The barn is a monochromatic, inspired by another monochromatic posted here (same palette-different subject). As a rule do more experienced painters tend to stick to one type of style, or do they continue to use various styles (eg some more impressionistic, some more realistic)? Also, I was wondering if it is considered ok to sort of mix styles in the same painting. With the "bears" I was trying to render the bears fairly accurately, but as you noted, the sky is more "impressionistic".

I think you can do whatever you want! If it looks good to you and you enjoy yourself that's what counts. Now if you want to sell her paintings in a gallery then you might have to start listening to what other people think you should do but until then you set your own rules.

I've been experimenting with different styles and it's quite fun. Now I've settled into what I think "my style" will be, but who knows if I get the urge to try something new I definitely will. My goal is to work on a collection of paintings of them same theme, in which case I need to stick to the same style. So far I'm working on that.

-Michael

Eugene Veszely
05-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Welcome Moosehead.

Lots to see and learn here :)