PDA

View Full Version : WIP as requested + a couple paintings

mjt
05-07-2004, 04:29 PM
HRH Goldie aka Christine in the acrylics forum asked me to do a WIP.

I posting 4 images to the forum: the first 2 are the WIPS, and the second 2 are paintings that are not a part of the WIP.

The full explanation of the WIP along with images of the process can be found by clicking this link: http://www.centuryguild.com/wc/wip.htm

Each of the 4 paintings posted here are 5X7 acrylics on board.

regards, Michael

Margie L
05-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Beautiful-MJT- The color glows. Love the texture. :clap: Thanks for the wip.

Hoofmama
05-07-2004, 05:21 PM
mjt--I love your work. Thanks for the tutorial. I think I want to try out your technique on my next project. So little time, so much to learn...
Thanks for sharing your talents.

Deano
05-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Wonderful works, Michael. They all bear your style, yet are different from your last series. And I know that is your goal as the artist. For a long time you used the fan brush to lay in loose work, then as dry brush...any particular reason that you dropped this? In the third painting, I love how the forground rushes at the viewer in ever wider broken brush marks. That tree is outstanding and the sky is super. I'm a complete fan of your work. Thanks for the WIP. :D

mjt
05-07-2004, 11:38 PM
The color glows. Love the texture. Thanks for the wip....Marjorie
You're welcome and thanks for the comments.
I think I want to try out your technique on my next project. So little time, so much to learn...Hoofmama
Sure, give it a shot. Let me know when you complete a painting. It's not as much to learn as you think. Just keep it simple!
For a long time you used the fan brush to lay in loose work, then as dry brush...any particular reason that you dropped this? In the third painting, I love how the forground rushes at the viewer in ever wider broken brush marks. That tree is outstanding and the sky is super. I'm a complete fan of your work. Thanks for the WIP. ...
Fan brush.....I go through phases. Have not used a fan brush in months. I'll dig it out again. With the wip I allowed the #5 round to get kind of sticky so that the bristles were spread in all directions. I then used it as a fan brush to get a lot of random strokes.

You mentioned the strokes in the foreground of the 3rd painting.....There are lots of ways to convey depth in a painting. Big strokes in the foregound with progressively smaller strokes in the mid to background (just like in nature) create an illusion of depth and even fore-shortening if the direction is correct.

Thanks for looking.

Michael

chal
05-08-2004, 11:32 AM
I am a big fan of your pieces Michael and I will definately be checking out those tutorials!

Thanks for sharing!

Cara

HRH Goldie
05-21-2004, 04:27 AM
Brilliant mjt,
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this wip. :clap:
It's really going to help me understand the techniques and concepts of abstract landscape. I don't know how I missed this posting but never mind - I'm here now.
Typically my printer has died so I've had to save it for the moment - as soon as its either fixed or we've got another one, I will give my first abstract a go.
Out of interest do you ever do abstract seascapes? :D
Christine

mjt
05-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks Cara for your comments.

Out of interest do you ever do abstract seascapes?...Christine
I've never painted one. Your question raises another question.....what's an abstract landscape (seascape)? I do like to paint very loose expressionistic pieces. I think of them as more abstract than realistic in appearance. I've stated often on this forum that the principle difference between an abstract and a realist piece is how the elements of the painting are arranged.
Michael

HRH Goldie
05-22-2004, 08:34 AM
That's me told then! ;) :D
Christine