PDA

View Full Version : My first painting

1065tomh
05-07-2004, 04:39 AM
HI
Im a beginner in painting and also a new member at wetcanvas . After many hours with books and videos of Mr E.John Robinson I finally decided to have a go... This painting is done after memory with what I remember from all those videos. I just love Marine art even if I live at the country a long way from the nearest ocean. Would love to hear your opinion. Should I continue in this hobby or should I find myself some better things to do...? :)
Love you all with Greatings from Norway!

(sorry for any language misunderstandings)

VeronikaB
05-07-2004, 06:38 AM
My goodness, don't tell me that you are new to painting! The waves are absolutely fantastic. :clap: I especially like the one in the middle with the translucent top. Is it done in oils?

I have one of EJR's books (got it last week) and I'd like to give waves a try too. Your picture encourages me to do so. Thanks for posting it.

1065tomh
05-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Thx a lot for nice comments. :)
This is actually my first oilpainting.
I had a go for watercolours and got 2 pictures made before it ended up as trash...so actually this is my third painting but the first in oils... believe it or not!
I have made a few watercolour paintings the last few weeks so maybe I post them as well to get some comments! Good luck with your painting!!
I recommend to study E.John carefully. This man knows what he is talking about! Good Luck with your painting!

LisaArt
05-07-2004, 07:59 AM
OMG..This is fantastic..and a firt time painting. Water is very difficult to do. Great work. :clap:

VeronikaB
05-07-2004, 08:07 AM
I had a go for watercolours and got 2 pictures made before it ended up as trash...so actually this is my third painting but the first in oils... believe it or not!

Of course I believe you. :)

Do post your watercolours too. The watercolour forum is much larger than this one and there are many nice people to comment and help, if necessary.

I like Robinson's book a lot, too. He pays a lot of attention to practical details, which I find very important.

Eugene Veszely
05-07-2004, 11:20 AM
I think you have learnt much from Mr E.John Robinson !!!

Well done!! :)

1065tomh
05-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Thank you for nice words who give me lots of encourage to continue painting!
Running to the shop to bye myself a new canvas...
And Yes....E.John is my "Guru" :)

sendin
05-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Hello to you in Norway -

I think you are on the right track and should certainly continue to paint. I think you would make E. John proud. He lives just north of us here in Northern California and I was honored to have one of his very early paintings hung in our living room for a short while. I have three of his books and should probably get one of his videos too. His work is extraordinary and he's a very good teacher.

I hope you continue to paint seascapes and post them here. You have a great talent. You might also check out Vernon Kerr and Tom Rissacher who are also great seascape artsist from this area.

Thank you for posting your painting. Please post more!

Denny

1065tomh
05-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Hi Sendin and thanks for great words! I have seen some of your pictures posted here and they are fantastic. I wish I lived "over there" to study these waves and to maby meet E. John in person! Ive got 7 videos and 2 books with him and they are just great!
Next step will be to study the colour of water and rocks at my home place who is rather different from the West Coast of USA. Im living far away from the sea but close to the biggest lake in Norway. No great waves but a lot of water. Looking forward to see more from you to!
Whats happend to the origanal E.John painting?

xavier
05-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Heck of of first start I'd say.You will now of course, have to
move to the shore if you expect to improve on this excellant
first start~ I wish you great success!

laudesan
05-08-2004, 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=VeronikaB]My goodness, don't tell me that you are new to painting! The waves are absolutely fantastic. :clap: I especially like the one in the middle with the translucent top. Is it done in oils? QUOTE]

What Veronika said^^ .. :)

What size is this???

1065tomh
05-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Hi
After alll your good comments I will already this weekend go down south to the coast of Norway to take some photos and study the sea to paint some more seascapes. I totally agreed with you Xavier. I need to study the sea to be a better painter

And laudesan..Thanks for kind words. Its all done in oils on canvas. The size is 55x45cm

"Encouragement is a great man isnt he... :D "

saguarosue
05-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Oh my, I am envious! This is just lovely! I too am a beginner. One seacape in acrylics and now one nearly finished in oils. I seem to only want to do seascape painting. I have a love affair with the ocean...but live on the Sonoran Desert, perhaps explains my love of salt water :) I think you have talent, please continue to develop it.....

weckster
05-09-2004, 03:55 AM
Keep on going! I'm new to this and I couldn't do this! LOVE IT :clap:

PETERH
05-09-2004, 06:57 AM
Very nice Tom! You've got off to a great start!

I'm also fascinated by "wave-painting" and I appreciate the difficulty. For me, the realism is not so important as the "feeling", if you know what I mean.

Would love to see your watercolours.

1065tomh
05-09-2004, 04:20 PM
HI
Once again...thanks for all kind words :o who give me a lot of guts to keep on painting. I spend this weekend at the south of Norway to study the sea and waves. The weather was so warm and nice so I didnt see a wave. The ocean was like a mirror... I was sitting all a lone when a Swan came floating by and I made a hole lot of photos of it. Maybe the next painting will include that guy?

Tom

ripvanblair
05-16-2004, 05:03 AM
This is terrific I like the sense of movement in this painting-------well done----------Alan

Marty C
05-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi 1065tomh,
This is a marvelous piece and the fact it is your first oil makes it even more special. You obviously have a great talent and I am very much looking forward to more.
Your value variations, colour gradations and wave form are all excelent, you have learned much from E John. :clap: :clap:

1065tomh
05-17-2004, 01:06 AM
HI
Thanks Alan and thanks Marty C for kind words!
Your right Marty. I have learned a lot from E.John. I have started another seascape painting...but it will take some time to finnish this I guess but I will post it here when ready
Tom

Dark_Shades
05-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Beautiful work ........ let me add my applause to the rest :clap:

imlayte
05-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi there Tomh, This is excellent work. You studied very well. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Howard

1065tomh
05-21-2004, 03:42 AM
Thanks Dark shades and Howard!
Tom

yogi
05-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Your first oil painting is awesome! Indeed, post more work whenever you get a chance. Keep on a paintin'! And, welcome to WetCanvas!

1065tomh
05-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Hi Yogi
Thanks for lovely comments... I will be back with some more. I promise.
In the meantime you can find some watercolours of mine at the watercolour forum

Tom

zombeezee
05-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Ive read a book by the same man and adore his work. I had a go following one of his tutorials and posted it here a couple of months back. Nothing like yours. You really did pick all up. Perhaps you could have a look at my poor attempt and give me some tips. DO you think the video is better than the books? Maybe thats what i should do next :rolleyes:

1065tomh
05-27-2004, 04:19 PM
HI zombeezee
I had a look at your seascape and have send you some tips and comments by e-mail

Thanks for nice comments and encouragement

Tom

itsmecherren
05-28-2004, 10:34 AM
If E. John Robinson saw your painting he wouldn't let you have anymore of his books. I think your painting is better than his. Cheryl

1065tomh
05-29-2004, 03:17 AM
WOW... cheryl...thanks...You have saved my day :o Well...be better not tell E.John then...I still need his books

Tom

mairrca
06-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Wow!!! Is that ever a fantastic painting. I have one of his books.... *pulls out E. John Robinson's book and dusts it off...*

Alan Cross
06-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Very nice first painting and yes by all means keep on painting and posting.
Alan :)

Moosehead
06-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Like you, I recently started painting (about 2 months ago). I am using acrylics. I can tell you I am not even close. This is fantastic. You should absolutely, positively keep it up. I'll tell you one thing, I'm going to try to find those "Robinson" materials.

1065tomh
06-03-2004, 12:43 AM
HI Jon
Thanks for kind words. Im pretty sure you will find the videos and books of Mr E.John very helpful if you like seascape painting. Good luck and keep painting. Looking forward to see some of your work

Tom

Arnold Lowrey
08-15-2004, 03:43 PM
HI
Im a beginner in painting and also a new member at wetcanvas . After many hours with books and videos of Mr E.John Robinson I finally decided to have a go... This painting is done after memory with what I remember from all those videos. I just love Marine art even if I live at the country a long way from the nearest ocean. Would love to hear your opinion. Should I continue in this hobby or should I find myself some better things to do...? :)

Tom
Youu have excelled yourself
This is a fine piece of work
Your composition is right.Look a t the changing colour of the sea though I think it might change a bit from front to back (colour not tonal value)
You are moving foreward like an express train. but this always happens when you are interested enough in the subject
Well done Tom
Arnold :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1065tomh
08-15-2004, 03:56 PM
:o
Hi Arnold
Im sooooo glad you took your time to comment my painting!! Thanks a lot :D I really appreciate it!!

katz
08-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Beautiful depth in the waves. Good job. If you enjoy painting, who's to stop you?
Gay

Diane Cutter
08-16-2004, 07:49 AM
How did I miss this one? Wonderful feel of the water rushing... Congratulations... I'd love to see the next ones.

Diane

Jeanetted
08-19-2004, 01:10 PM
You are just fantastic. Please keep up the great work. I am going to look for those books and videos...maybe I can learn something too.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jeanette

Emilia
08-20-2004, 10:32 PM
HI

Are you kidding???????? You bet, you should continue, no yes, nos, or maybe's about it. First painting? hmmmmm I can't wait to see what your second, third and tenth painting will look like.

1065tomh
08-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Diane, Jeanette and Emilia

Thanks for your lovely comments. Love you all :wave:

nowaihed
08-22-2004, 05:10 PM
HI

I love Marine Art, and this one is beautiful. The middle wave is so real, I feel I am in the sea. I put in my computer. :clap: :clap: :clap: Do you have more marine paintings by now, beause I see you put this months ago.
Leonor :wave:

NHyde
08-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Great job! Keep on painting and posting!

Cheers eh,
Nicole

PaulSV
08-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Wow, that is great! Being a beginner myself (less than 10 works), I am particularly envious! :) Good job!

1065tomh
08-23-2004, 02:54 PM
HI

Leonor- I have been painting watercolour for a while but I have started a new oil painting today... Seems like the first one was "beginners luck"...

Nicole- thanks

Paul- Thanks Paul. Keep on painting!

nowaihed
08-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Thx a lot for nice comments. :)
I have made a few watercolour paintings the last few weeks so maybe I post them as well to get some comments! Good luck with your painting!!
I recommend to study E.John carefully. This man knows what he is talking about! Good Luck with your painting!
I love Marine Art, It's a long long time since I last painted, but when I was young I did many marine pictures, I like your waves, :) oil to me is easier than watercolor paintings. I would like to see your watercolor ones!!! :wave: