PDA

View Full Version : Pentel oil pastel info needed

stonewhiteclown
05-07-2004, 04:36 AM
Hello everyone!
I am offered a set of 50 Pentel Oil pastels (49 colours) in a WOODEN box here.
Made in Japan supposedly. Search in Goodle and WC! brings out only cheapo sets of 36 sticks max. That one is different, but I didn't had a look at it myself.
Any info, including hint at fair price is very much appreciated!

sundiver
05-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Pentels are student-grade . My school catalogues have the sets of 36 at around $10-$12 Canadian, so I would guess a 49 set would be another $5, making it around $10-$12 American, plus the wooden box. So you'd have to ask yourself how much the wooden box is worth to you! :)

stonewhiteclown
05-07-2004, 07:56 AM
I understand this estimations too, but the trick is that 50 sticks set isn't mentioned anywhere across searchable part of internet (including Pentel site itself), so it may be some discontiued product line?
Is there easy means to distinct artist grade from student grade?
They say there's a writing "for artists" on the box :D

Dyin
05-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Artist quality OPs are Holbein (which are unavailable in Europe), Carna d'Ache and Sennelier. The student grade usually have a lot more wax and are not as smooth and blendable. Have you check out the OP info thread in the Pastel forum library? It's a huge long thread but info on just about anything to do with OPs. Some of the student grade seem to work quite well for people. I started with a $6 set of Loew and it was enough to encourage me to get the better grade.

stonewhiteclown
05-08-2004, 05:50 AM
Thank you Sue and Wendy! I saw them yesterday. Turned out they are very similar to those in stock currently, small , only square not round; box looks very dated and notably is of cardboard :). On top of all people are competely nuts on price, lol.