PDA

View Full Version : a view from germany and the reaction here...

lori
09-12-2001, 02:46 AM
dear fellow american WCers...

as an american living in europe, i can not tell you how shocked i was to hear the news. i guess numb would be the word that best describes this feeling of hopelessness at the abilities of some people to be destructive...it is sickening.

as i wandered the streets last night past the american embassy, there was a group of americans outside just standing in disbelief. the embassay was barricaded against any attack, and the feeling was high alert. people just stared into space...

further on, we wandered past the marienplatz (old town square) where a show of support and solidarity was about to take place. anyone who visits munich i'm sure is aware of the glockenspiel clock tower, that at 9:00pm puts the münchenerkindl to bed for the night. on this night, taps were played before the usual mechanisms of dancing figures...an eery moment which was followed by a half hour of church bells tolling for the lost lives.

at 9:30 pm, there was a church service for the victims in america. there were about 300 people gathered with candles and hymns were sang in latin, german, and english. the support and overwhelming empathy was very heartening. as i stood amongst the many a feeling of grief overwhelmed myself and others that was shocking. i didn't know that i needed to cry...but i did. it was amazing the amount of empathy that was flowing; prayers were made and condolences from many nationalities all became a mutual place for us all to gather and meet.

i guess i'm writing this because its important to realise that when attacked we feel isolated and sought out, but the fact of the matter is, there are many people in support of america and are shocked and affected by this tragedy...i just wanted to give you a glimpse of the view from out here...

pax all...lori

paintfool
09-12-2001, 03:48 AM
Lori, this post gives me (and many others i'm sure) much hope for humanity and somewhat of a renewed sense of one world, one people. I think it's really important for us to not lose sight of the basic decency of man kind. Thanks for reminding me. I know your life is in Germany at the moment but i also know that your heart is here with us at this time. The people of Germany are obviously very kind. Thanks for this post. It helps to know this.
Cheryl

jheinrich
09-12-2001, 10:15 AM
thanks lori, and thanks to you all for the many posts and sympathies ...

I send mine out to the world, too.

love,
jeanette*

leesmith
09-12-2001, 11:00 AM
Lori, I cry as I read your post. Thank you.

To hear of support and empathy from your country and others is healing. Like Cheryl, even during this tragic time, it gives hope for humanity around the world.

Sandi
09-12-2001, 11:17 AM
Lori, I broke out in tears too. Thank you so much for your warm note. Like Cheryl, I really needed to hear that. You have moved the mountain of sadness, fear and anger aside a bit and restored a calm, joy and faith in my fellow man. I can't express the releif I feel from your kind words of support. (((((((((((((((((Lori)))))))))))))))))))))))))

LornaM
09-12-2001, 01:25 PM
it´s true. when i went out this morning and passed many germans on their way to work it was obvious that many had been crying, and probably up all night. i´ve been watching the news reports and they just showed a school in cologne that asked to be excused today. these high school aged kids held a mass in the cathedral. it isn´t true that americans are hated. almost everyone who has ever known an american well loves our country... i have a german penpal who writes everyday and her concern has been overwhelming. a british friend brought me flowers. all the best to everyone on wet canvas. heimo & Lorna

djstar
09-12-2001, 01:36 PM
That is what I am feeling.
I tried to read to a friend the Wtc post in this forum and couldn't talk.
I feel just like you do. HELPLESS. I am in here, safe uptown. Trying only to get a friend on a flight so I can go to Yonkers and a little more real life, but the white cloud in the south, just below the blue sky and the clouds is amazing.
We want to help.
We can't!
It is done, just to wait and to cry...
Just hug someone you love.
dj*

Leaflin
09-12-2001, 04:55 PM
Thank you for your post Lori.
Our hearts cry with sadness.