PDA

View Full Version : Albert Handell Workshop

Shari
05-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Just a quickie post before I am off to the fourth day of my workshop with Albert. The most amazing thing for me has been watching his demonstrations. Yesterday he did a demo of his watercolor underpainting/pastel technique. I knew I was watching a true master in action. Afterwards, there was silence and many people were in tears, the beauty of this painting was astounding! To watch it manifest was like magic. I briefly had the thought that I should give up painting now, but I realize of course, that is silly! I love the way his hand dances over the paper before he even starts, feeling the curves and sweep of the landscape. His hands dance over the paper with pastel too, lightly touching down once in awhile, his touch is very light. His on site demo on Tuesday in Lithia Park was also awe-inspiring. He picked a scene where the water was rushing over the rocks and there was a lot of foliage around. I noticed how he left out most of the foliage, and concentrated on the water flowing over the rocks. He says "simpler is better" and not to make the picture too busy or put in too much information. He showed the point at which he made the decision which to focus on, the foreground, or background. His wife, Anita, is a gem, such a sweetheart. I am soaking it all in, will report back Friday.

Shari

DFGray
05-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi
thanks for posting this
awaiting more
regards
Dan

Deborah Secor
05-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Shari--Do me a favor, if you have a chance, and say hi from Deborah Christensen (he won't recognize my married name...) You have to tell him how you and I know each other! I keep telling folks he's a great teacher when the student is ready--and it seems you are ready! Have a blast.

Deborah

Pinecone Conniff
05-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for this sneak peek into a Handell workshop! Wow! What awesome inspiration...soak in everything!!!
Annette

Dyin
05-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Glad you're having fun, thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the things you learned... :clap:

Khadres
05-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Wow! Now you've got me REALLY looking forward to the mini-workshop I signed up for at the Expo! It really is inspiring to see a real master at work!

llis
05-07-2004, 08:40 PM
just jumping in to say that I just got back from an Albert Handell workshop too. This one was in Dawsonville, Georgia and it was an all inspiring workshop for sure.

One thing that I really enjoyed was having two teachers! Now Albert and Nita's work are not the same... of course we all are unique... but seeing two different approachs and getting two opinions as they came to each location to review the work was great!

Albert is a trip and a half. He can be soooo serious, and then let out with the funniest thing. He is a delight to be around socially and as a teacher, their could not be one that wanted the best from all his students... helping them understand and make giant leaps wherever they are with their art carees.

I like too how both of them stayed focused on the workshop agenda. At one question and answer session some asked about marketing and they both quickly pulled the discussion back to the making of art rather than the selling of art. Their pat answer was "that's an entirely different workshop, and their are many experts you should study those things with." I'm here to help you with making art let's use our time talking about making art. :D

Anyway... I'm working on water and reflections... guess I'll be doing that for quite sometime. What fun! I can't wait to go back to another Handell workshop. Tell Nita I said hello...and I put the Handell workshops up on the www.pleinairgeorgia.com site. :D

Shari
05-07-2004, 09:27 PM
The workshop ended today. You are so right Ilis, Albert is very funny and made us all laugh a lot. We had about five hours of critiques today. I basically observed this workshop and didn't paint in it. I am going though a very difficult time physically right now, so I am being gentle on myself and I am not painting right now because of it but I learned a lot just being there. I am awaiting back surgery after which time I will be able to do all the things I love again!!! I am so grateful that Anita was there, I adore her work very much. I am posting a couple more finished demos of Albert's. The first one is an oil painting demo and the second one shows his watercolor/pastel technique which will be on his new video that is coming out in a few weeks. I get the sense that he is a true master and it was great to be in his class. He did a tree drawing demo today which was fabulous. I really understand now that I am at a crossroads and need to make a comittment to my art if I am going to improve. He suggested that I just spend time doing still life for awhile, since I haven't worked much from life. Here are a couple more pics:

Shari

llis
05-07-2004, 10:27 PM
so...how many of his demo's did you buy? :D

Just teasing... I would love to have them all, and they are certainly worth every dime... it's just that my pockets aren't that deep..... or ever have been.

You know... you probably learned so much more just by observing. I never thought about doing that! I just might do that next time... but after watching his demo's and nita's..... I just get the itch to paint.....thinking, yeah right... I can do that!

I know how you must feel tonight... exhausted, but happy. :)

bnoonan
05-08-2004, 10:02 PM
first I hope you feel better soon and are able to paint what you've learned.

Second - thank you for sharing this. I'm scheduled for one of his workshops and I can't wait now that i see what you have done.

Aren't demos just so helpful?

B

MChesleyJohnson
05-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Albert's technique is interesting to me because he paints from small to big rather than from big to small. I get the overall design, do a block-in, etc., whereas Albert will start with this center of interest -- and get every aspect of it PERFECT -- and then move out from there. At any point you can stop him, and he will have a nice little vignette.

<sigh>