PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, another newbie here!

CazM
05-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been reading this forum and picking up some great tips, so now its time to introduce myself! I am very new to acrylics, i got a set for christmas and have been doing some experiments and making a mess ever since! But i think i am starting to get somewhere now. This is my second painting on canvas (the first was just a simple abstract landscape and not very good). Ive been doing this painting on and off for about 2 weeks. It still needs some more work but i ran out of black and white paint so i had to stop! So i thought i would take a photo of it. Any comments and suggestions on how to improve it would be welcome! :)

http://www.btinternet.com/~weird.fish/images/elly_canvas.jpg

Thanks Caroline :)

ExpressiveAngie
05-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Caroline - I have noticed you in here before and I am thrilled you posted this wonderful painting. I think some darks on the elephant would only enhance this lovely painting, please be sure to show any updates!

artistodon
05-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Hi Caroline,
I really love your colors. They are so rich and work so well together. The only suggestion I would make is to soften the edges of the elephant to it doesn't look like it is outlined. Remember objects don't have lines around them, just changes in shape, shades and values.
Don :)

Marty C
05-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Hi Caroline,
Welcome to Wet Canvas and to the Acrylics Forum.
Very nice effort for so early in your acrylics career. Form, defintion and detail are good. As Don said, some changes in value will increase the depth and realism but great work all the same.

CazM
05-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Thankyou for your encouraging comments! :) Its always scary showing your work for the first time.

I will add some more darks as suggested. I have noticed that Acrylics seem to lighten as they dry.

Don, i see what you mean about the edges, but i am not sure how to soften them. Do you have any suggestions? I will certainly think about that for my next painting and try not to do the same thing! :)

Thanks again, Caroline

HRH Goldie
05-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi Caroline - a fellow Brit!! :D
Nice study of the elephant - it looks like you have painted before - what did you use before getting the acrylics?
I'm curious to know why you think acrylics get lighter when they dry? The general rule of thumb is that they get darker, especially the deeper pigmented colours. What sort are u using?
Hope you are going to give us an updated pic when you get more black and white. ;)
Hope to see you around the forums a lot more.
Christine

CazM
05-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi Christine, ive used watercolours before but never really achieved anything great with them. I like to use watercolour as a background and then put pencil or wax crayon over the top. I have always been more of a drawing person than painting, maybe because i trained as a graphic designer. But i am really enjoying painting since i got these, and hope to improve and do more.

The Acrylics I am using are Daler-Rowney System 3. I dont know why but the dark greys on the elephant did seem to dry lighter than when I put them on. Maybe its different with the deeper colours like you say, I will have to find out.

Thanks for your nice comments! :)

Caroline

Faded
05-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Welcome to wetcanvas Caroline. This is very good, you sure it's only your second attempt? ;) Have you tried payne's grey yet? You might want to pick up a tube, it makes very rich greys. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
-Faded