PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from the staff ...

scottb
09-11-2001, 10:19 PM
I don't quite know where to start.

I am simultaneously angry and sad. Those are two emotions that do not mix very well. The ex-military and patriot side of me is furious, while the human and compassionate side of me weeps. Like most of you, it will take quite a while before I can sort out even my own feelings on this.

I was busily working away this morning, when news of the World Trade Center/Pentagon bombings reached me at my desk. As I made my way to a television, I had flashes of being in Europe during the notorious disco-bombing period in the 1980s. Of course, that pales in comparison to what great tragedy has befallen us today. Nevertheless, I spent the remainder of the day on the phone, and watching the events unfold on television.

However, I took great solace in what I found here in the Cafe forum, after being absent from it all day (and most of the night). I visited several other boards, including Yahoo!'s, and quickly found myself engulfed in hatred, anti-semitism, anti-this, anti-that. When I visted our little Cafe tonight, I found a much different tone. I discovered sincere prayers, thoughts, and *genuine* concern for our WC family members in both NY and Washington.

I commend you all for taking the high-road - the humanistic road. There will be plenty of time for reprisals, sabre-rattling, and action - no matter what side of the fence you are when it comes to this issue, I am proud of this community for not polluting these message forums with such unproductive banter.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the folks around the world who have been (and will become) affected by this ...

Cheers.
Scott

MissMouse
09-11-2001, 10:33 PM
You are so right Scott - what a wonderful caring community to belong to, cyberliving at its best. It is time for bed here in New York and I wish everyone sweet dreams and a restful night.

Ivyleaf
09-11-2001, 10:34 PM
It's great to be part of such a wonderful community. The chat room has been busy all day, if anyone wants or needs to talk, please do stop in, we are here for each other.

Sandi
09-11-2001, 11:00 PM
((((((Scott)))))) Your description of trying to cope with the strong anger and sadness you feel also describes my own. I can't even begin to imagine what yours must be like. Having to suffer through flashbacks from such horrors would be unbearable at times. Just know that you and all war veterens are in my thoughts and prayers as I pray for the rescue workers, families of the victims and all who have suffered. Thank you for opening my eyes to the trauma seen and unseen.
Love ya Scott for making WC the best place on the net in good and bad times alike. You're the best!!

paintfool
09-11-2001, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the wonderful words Scott. Yes we have built a very supportive famliy here at WC Thanks to you. Today was the first time ever that i logged onto WC and cried. The outpouring of love and prayers from our members abroad is more of a comfort than they know.
My husband was in Beruit at the time of the attack on the military base there and i didn't realize what an affect that actually had on him until i saw the look of desparation in his eyes today. It's proof that the scars of such an event run very deep. We are fortunate for having one another to lean on. Thank you all.
Cheryl

dcheek
09-11-2001, 11:20 PM
Scott thank you,

I too have mixed feelings, but eventhough I do not know them in person wanted to check and see if those in NYC and DC were, OK. I just heard from a friend that his brother is thought to still be at the Pentagon, not known how he is. Please give your thougths and prayers to Mike's brother along with all the others.

To all WC members I will include you in my prayers.

joemajury
09-12-2001, 12:53 AM
I am simultaneously angry and sad. Those are two emotions that do not mix very well. The ex-military and patriot side of me is furious, while the human and compassionate side of me weeps. Like most of you, it will take quite a while before I can sort out even my own feelings on this.

Living in Belfast, I have first hand experience of Terrorism, but you are right, all the condemnation and reprisals can be dealt with later, I literally bit my tongue earlier when I was on, to stop me saying what I felt for these people.
The time has come to think about the search and recovery of the wounded and dead, and to rebuild from this treeible tragedy.

Im sitting here at 0600hrs, i have been awake all night, worrying about the USA.

God bless America!

Joe

Bracero
09-12-2001, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Scott, for sharing your thoughts & feelings. For myself, I'm trying to hang in with the sadness & sense of loss, plenty of time later for the rage & thirst for revenge.

I'm really glad I don't hang out in bars anymore because I'm pretty sure I know what the level of discourse is there. And it ain't healthy.

jheinrich
09-12-2001, 10:17 AM
I don't go to other forums, but I'm glad if there is so much hate out there.

thanks to everyone for being there (here) right now ... it helps more than you know.

an entire page of people reaching out in the cafe to overcome ... it's a beautiful thing.

sorrowful and aching,
love,
jeanette*

Christie
09-12-2001, 11:40 AM
Scott, thank you for expressing yourself so well. Many of us do not have that ability. I would like to say that this site was where I turned because I was feeling battered and alone. The support and understanding that the people here give each other is a very healing thing.

Leaflin
09-12-2001, 03:41 PM
Thanks Scott for expressing your feelings.
I can't seem to put into words how I feel.
I have been reading eveyones posts.
The outpouring of love and compassion.

I haven't got to the anger yet.
Disbelief, endless feeling of deep sadness.

Gisela
09-12-2001, 11:15 PM
Hi Scott,
I sure understand what you mean. I've spent the better part of the last day and a half in tears. When my husband first tried to comfort me, I asked him if he wasn't sad, and he replied that he was just angry. He's an ex-Marine who served in Vietnam and your post helped me to better understand his feelings.
Thanks,
Gisela

Berrell
09-20-2001, 04:17 PM
Scott,
Thanks for this thread and your good words. This really is the place to be. Your good work here has been inspiring throughout. Especially now for me. Thanks

Berrell