PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy??

SilverFeather
05-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi, I've been away awhile studying CP but pen&ink will always be my favorite medium.
Just wondered if anyone here does any calligraphy work. Or is this the appropriate place?
I took a class in it years ago and have recently decided to try it again.
I want to do the illumination and decorate the pieces with pen and ink and colored pencil.
Will post some here when I complete a piece if anyone is interested. :)

sassybird
05-05-2004, 07:22 PM
I would love to see them, Carol. It must be nearly 30 years since I have done any calligraphy. It certainly takes patiences, but can be so beautiful. Please post your work here for all to see.

Jakeally
05-06-2004, 05:56 AM
I tried to learn it a while ago ..... didn't have much success but I loved trying :D I really look forward to seeing some of your work.

tybalt
05-06-2004, 07:09 AM
I would love to see your calligraphy work. I've always been fascinated by illuminated manuscripts both ancient and modern. So don't hesitate to post.

SilverFeather
05-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I need it because this takes lots of practice.
Tybalt, I love the intricately decorated Illuminated Manuscripts too. I doubt I'll be that good but it's fun!
Sassybird, Chris, get out those old pens and try it again. I have fun just practicing the different strokes that make up the letters!

I really enjoyed it when I took the class but it was so long ago. I was inspired to take it up again when I read a poem. Hopefully I'll post that in a few days.
In the mean time here's one I did for a friend of her name. It's a terrible photo but you can get an idea.
:)

Jakeally
05-07-2004, 03:33 AM
Just lovely .... Your spacing is perfect :clap: :clap:

artdude
05-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Looks GREAT Carol :clap: :clap:
We have another member (jjsangel) who has done decorative letters that I think you will like. She works with ink and colored pencils. I will leave a couple of links to some of her posts below :D:)

Letter V P&I Only Version (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173622)

Letter U-Under the Sea (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156838)

Murray

--------------------------

SilverFeather
05-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks Chris! That's the first attempt at it in years. I have to get used to the spacing, forming of letters, etc. all over again. There are so many styles!

Thanks Murray, I remember seeing jjsangel's work here a while back but couldn't rememeber her name. It's beautiful illuminated alphabet. I'm glad you reminded me.

Will post a better one next week...hopefully, if it turns out as a I hope.

mel-ink
05-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Hi Carol! Really like that calligraphy piece...I dabble in it a bit myself now and then. It's a lot of fun! One book I use a lot is "The Art of Calligraphy" by David Harris. Looking forward to seeing your next post!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

iridemft78
05-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Calligraphy is definately on my 'want to learn' list (along with pottery, printmaking, woodcarving, glass blowing......). Thank you for sharing and I would say this is a great forum to show your work in. One of my favorite things at The Cloisters in NYC is the ooooooooooooold illuminated manuscripts on display. Keep 'em coming!

prairie painter
05-12-2004, 03:50 PM
very nice work! I love the feather detail in it. I tried calligraphy a couple of times but my hand jerks unpredictably, so the results left Much to be desired :rolleyes: But your is beautiful!

rapolina
06-08-2004, 08:01 AM
ciao carol!
i love calligraphy!
very nice job, please send more!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
rapolina. :)

SilverFeather
06-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks rapolina, prairiepainter, iridemft78, melink!
I have a couple more calligraphy pieces in the sketch stages.
As soon as I catch up on my other work I'll get them done and post hopefully they are getting better! I hadn't done it in so long but always enjoyed it.
I appreciate you looking and your encouragement :)

Mel ink, I'll have to check out that book. I have one, The Calligrapher's Companion that I refer to a lot.

:)