PDA

View Full Version : brushes, oil and acrylic

CoolArtiste
05-05-2004, 11:24 AM
What's so bad about using a brush for acrylic painting after you've used it for oil painting, as long as you've cleaned it thoroughly? I've done it and I haven't noticed any ill effects.

terriv
05-05-2004, 11:59 AM
I have too. No problems here. Dawn dish liquid will remove all the oil.

I also only use cheap dollar store (I mean 5 brushes for $1) and Wal-Mart synthetic brushes (5 brushes for $7) because that's what I have. They work.

Richard Saylor
05-05-2004, 02:41 PM
I've had no problems using the same brushes for oil and acrylic. I do keep my brushes very clean, however.

dspinks
05-05-2004, 03:15 PM
I wonder if synthetic brushes, kept very clean, pose less risk than natural hair brushes, which might absorb and thus transfer trace oil residue?

Debra

cunparis
05-05-2004, 05:06 PM
What's so bad about using a brush for acrylic painting after you've used it for oil painting, as long as you've cleaned it thoroughly? I've done it and I haven't noticed any ill effects.

I think a lot of people go overboard in these forums with all these rules and stuff. Don't use student paint. Don't use cheap brushes. Don't mix brands of paint. Don't use hues. Don't do this and don't do that. It's the artwork that counts!

I recently switched to acrylics and i use my brushes and I don't see a difference. But with oils I always cleaned them with SOAP after cleaning with mineral spirits. I guess if you're a pro selling your paintings for big $ then you can afford lots of brushes but I can't!

Michael

Richard Saylor
05-05-2004, 05:14 PM
I think a lot of people go overboard in these forums with all these rules and stuff.
I'm certain I get more natural oils from my hands on acrylic paintings than I do from any microscopic traces of oil residue on my brushes. I wonder if these overly cautious people wear surgical gloves when painting. :D

dspinks
05-05-2004, 06:21 PM
No, I'm not a rich pro artist, and no, I don't wear surgical gloves. I will admit that I am very anal, and in these learning stages I am prone to be more of a purist segregator and rule follower about each medium as I learn them.

I realize that it's the philosophy of many that "rules are meant to be broken," but also, my philosophy is, "you gotta know the rules before you can break them." If you feel comfortable and/or brave enough to break the rules, then more power to ya.

Debra

Enchanted
05-05-2004, 07:50 PM

I think it's more a case of some brushes not being suited to a particular medium or to the artist's style of working than it is a "no no" to use one brush for all purposes. For example, in my case, I use hog bristle a lot for oil painting but could not stand to use them for acrylics and certainly would never think of using them for watercolors - other than for scrubbing out! Same thing holds true for some of the synthetics I use for acrylic painting. They would really tie my hands if I tried using them for oils since they are much too soft and springy for my way of working in oils. And the fine sables I use for watercolor are VERY expensive brushes that could be used for acrylics, but they would add nothing to the painting experience that I can't get from the much cheaper synthetic bristles. And I dread the thought of accidently letting acrylic paint dry in one of those expensive sables.

surreal
05-05-2004, 09:01 PM

I would not do it, Cool, because what I consider to be a thorough cleaning may not be thorough enough.
But that's me.

;)

terry roberts
05-06-2004, 02:21 PM
I use the same brushes for acrylics and oils. Although, these days, I am painting in oils mostly. I do know that acrylic paints are actually harder on brushes. When using both, it seems the turps or other solvents help keep those acrylic brushes cleaner than if you were dedicate them to acrylic painting only.