PDA

View Full Version : Bismark

ripvanblair
05-05-2004, 06:18 AM
I've got a couple of paintings to do of naval actions, I was wondering what the marine forum thought of this, I've been thinking about the best approach to these , I've done some warships before, but never heavily engaged in action, this is an A4 size loose painting of a proposed much larger one, I'm trying to convey the absolute shock and noise of 15" naval gunfire. This is the battleship Bismark returning fire from the Hood and Prince of Wales, it is loosely based on photos taken from the Prince Eugen on that day , a very fateful day for the Royal Navy as a couple of salvos later the Hood blew up killing over 3000 men only three survived----------many thanks--------Alan
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2004/3667-bismark_03a.jpg

Marty C
05-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Hi Alan,
This is great and would make a worthy large piece. it would be almost impossible to convey the shock and noise of a full 15 inch broadside - I have been at RAN open days where they have demonstration fire from 3 inch guns and the noise and shockwave from that was enough to stun. A full 15 inch salvo would be just horrendous.
The colour and form in this definitely say naval action, and big action at that.

bobsart
05-05-2004, 09:35 AM
How detailed are you planning to get with this?

ripvanblair
05-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks Marty I've seen and heard some smaller calibre gunfire myself, but I've never heard the real big stuff going off, as you say must have been stunning

Thanks Bob it will be a bit more detailed than this, I'll need to see when I get started on it
many thanks--------Alan