PDA

View Full Version : just curious

jackiesimmonds
05-05-2004, 05:15 AM
Not sure if I am allowed to ask this here, but if not, I daresay the post will be deleted!

Next Spring, I may be running a painting holiday in Greece, on a gorgeous little picturesque island. I haven't done any of my courses for the last two years, due to physical problems, so this is a rare reappearance! I am joining forces with another tutor; I will be offering painting advice, and she will offer masterclasses in drawing too, she is Royal College trained, and will be a wonderful addition. I am curious to know whether anyone here might be interested in coming along, and since I do not have your addresses, I thought I would simply put out the word, and if anyone IS interested, they can pm me for more details later - we are still in the planning stage right now.

That's all!

Jackie

meowmeow
05-05-2004, 08:06 AM
It sounds fantastic Jackie! I wish I were more adventurous when it comes to travelling but I don't see myself going to Greece alone. Hopefully some others will be able to go. It sounds like a terrific opportunity!

Sandy

Dark_Shades
05-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Sounds a great Idea..... unfortunately I dont like flying.... but hey! :) .... you could always try a dummy run or something...... will be in the South of France in about 6 weeks if you want a try out :D

jackiesimmonds
05-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Sounds a great Idea..... unfortunately I dont like flying.... but hey! :) .... you could always try a dummy run or something...... will be in the South of France in about 6 weeks if you want a try out :D

Good try, DS!!! :)

Mikki Petersen
05-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Now that would be something! A trip to Greece AND a Jackie Simmonds workshop! Unfortuantely, we don't travel where we cannot pull our travel trailer. But what a trip of a lifetime that would be! I'm sure you will get a lot of response! Good luck with the venture...you are such a good teacher in writing, I'm sure you must be a great mentor in person.

jackiesimmonds
05-06-2004, 02:32 AM
Now that would be something! A trip to Greece AND a Jackie Simmonds workshop! Unfortuantely, we don't travel where we cannot pull our travel trailer. But what a trip of a lifetime that would be! I'm sure you will get a lot of response! Good luck with the venture...you are such a good teacher in writing, I'm sure you must be a great mentor in person.

hmmm - well, I hope I get better response in general, than I have had from WC-ers - only one intrested person, apart from those who just wish they could come!

I have tried promoting WC to painters in the UK ..even got it mentioned in The Artist mag .... will clearly have to try harder!

J

fugitive
05-06-2004, 06:03 AM
I'll go, if you send me 3000 pounds;-)

sundiver
05-06-2004, 08:26 AM
hmmm - well, I hope I get better response in general, than I have had from WC-ers - only one intrested person, apart from those who just wish they could come!
J

Maybe you could put a notice in the Pastel Journal.....

I'm one of the "wishers". A pastel workshop..in the Greek Islands...with Jackie... I couldn't ask for more, except I doubt if I could cough up the airfare, and if it's in spring I'll be teaching. :crying:

Deborah Secor
05-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Now if we could get you to set up a series of workshops here in the States, there might be a totally different response!

Maybe we could all work together--how about a workshop here in NM where you and I (and maybe Maggie--she should be home soon, BTW) teach on three different days? I like the team-teaching idea. As an instructor it takes the pressure off, it means we all benefit from working with one another, and the students get a very rich experience.

Greece would be a real treat. I'm itching to get to the ocean! Just dreaming here... don't mind me! <sigh>

I think ads in the PJ would be a great idea. It lets more folks know.

Deborah

Maggie P
05-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Now if we could get you to set up a series of workshops here in the States, there might be a totally different response!

Maybe we could all work together--how about a workshop here in NM where you and I (and maybe Maggie--she should be home soon, BTW) teach on three different days? I like the team-teaching idea. As an instructor it takes the pressure off, it means we all benefit from working with one another, and the students get a very rich experience.

Greece would be a real treat. I'm itching to get to the ocean! Just dreaming here... don't mind me! <sigh>

Deborah

I'm back! and visiting WC!, though somehow my password got deleted in my absence. I guess if you don't use it you lose it!

I'm teaching a 12-day workshop in Greece myself, Sept. 21-Oct. 5, if it fills. I have a few people signed up but need a couple more. I think people are still nervous about travel in general due to possibility of terrorism. Personally I feel if we all stay home, they've won, and I'm determined to continue to travel while I can.

Jackie, I've had great results with ads in the Pastel Journal. I even had a person show up in my Scotland workshop because he'd seen my ad there. I'm promoting this unselfishly, since I no longer have any ownership interest; I just know it works.

Deborah, a group teaching session sounds fun, though I think 2 days for each instructor would be better.

It's good to be home...

SweetBabyJ
05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Welcome Back, Maggie- wondered whether or not it was time to send out some hunky Nat'l Guardsmen to come rescue you!

A Grecian painting holiday would be great- dream of a lifetime kinda thing. Unfortunately, my money's already set aside for Kitty's workshop in Sept, and the consequent fishing trip for spouse. Take tons of pics, both of you, to share with us here- we'll be voyeurs.

Mikki Petersen
05-06-2004, 02:14 PM

Deborah

Sign me up for that one...where do I send my fee. Our retirement travel budget does not stretch to overseas destinations...but New Mexico is well within reach.

jackiesimmonds
05-06-2004, 02:17 PM
I am not sure that Pastel Journal is right for trips overseas, is it? Probably great for workshops in the USA.

As for the idea of my coming to the USA to teach - am always open to suggestion, but remember, the fare is quite a bit of moolah, and I have to take that into account.

OK, let's see if this tempts anyone...........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2004/1805-Frikes.jpg

:evil:

Mikki Petersen
05-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Jackie...that's not fair! What a gorgeous photo. Just what I think of when I think of the Greek Isles...sigh! Where are all the European WCers? This is much more reachable for them than for us lowly Americans. As you said, the travel expense is prohibitive. Wonder if I could talk my son into taking me...oh well...

Frcontr
05-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Now I'm intrigued. Not only am i not afraid of flying, I dare some terrorist to get in my face. This fat old redhead would show him what a Danish temper is all about. I have broken bones on fat heads before who tried to steal my purse. I might be dangerous if I ever learned sef defense. I just have to see what this fall brings. I'm helping to launch a new all traditional photograpic arts magazine. If all goes well I might need the vacation.

Deborah Secor
05-06-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm back! and visiting WC!, though somehow my password got deleted in my absence. I guess if you don't use it you lose it!

I'm teaching a 12-day workshop in Greece myself, Sept. 21-Oct. 5, if it fills. I have a few people signed up but need a couple more. I think people are still nervous about travel in general due to possibility of terrorism. Personally I feel if we all stay home, they've won, and I'm determined to continue to travel while I can.

Jackie, I've had great results with ads in the Pastel Journal. I even had a person show up in my Scotland workshop because he'd seen my ad there. I'm promoting this unselfishly, since I no longer have any ownership interest; I just know it works.

Deborah, a group teaching session sounds fun, though I think 2 days for each instructor would be better.

It's good to be home...

Maggie--you can't be just visiting WC! Glad you're back. Let's meet for coffee & talk!

Yep, two days each. Think we can make enough fro Jackie to pay her way here? Hmmm, never know.

Jackie, that photo is alluring.... I'd sure love to come! I think ads in the PJ appeal to people who are interested in overseas workshops. You may want to list this workshop in the OCTOBER issue. The workshop listings are very reasonable, not to mention display ads. I know--I used to sell advertising for this magazine! ;)

Deborah

Deborah

jackiesimmonds
05-07-2004, 02:08 AM
I think ads in the PJ appeal to people who are interested in overseas workshops. You may want to list this workshop in the OCTOBER issue. The workshop listings are very reasonable, not to mention display ads. I know--I used to sell advertising for this magazine! ;)

Deborah

OK I will do that, thanks Dee. I do not take the magazine, but perhaps they have an on-line presence and I can look at their ad rates. (Might advertise my videos too if the rates really are reasonable. last time I looked at advertising in a US magazine, I was a bit shocked by the ad rates. The Artist mag here is much cheaper, but then again, the circulation is much lower.)

thanks again
Jackie

sundiver
05-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Deborah

Lol, it would cost me just as much to go to NM as it would to Europe!
How 'bout Prince Edward Island? :D It's landscape/seascape heaven there, too. (You're all welcome, btw, workshop or no)

But a workshop on a Greek island- oh, man, I'd love that. If I lived over there I'd find a way- take the bus, maybe.

Deborah Secor
05-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Well, Wendy, now we must arrange a tour for Jackie! She needs to visit PEI (and so do I!) and other places in between. LOL--we'll keep her hopping!

I have an acquaintance who grew up on PEI and I saw some wonderful photos! What a beautiful place for a workshop--or just to paint. Do many artists go there?

Deborah

sundiver
05-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Well, Wendy, now we must arrange a tour for Jackie! She needs to visit PEI (and so do I!) and other places in between. LOL--we'll keep her hopping!
I have an acquaintance who grew up on PEI and I saw some wonderful photos! What a beautiful place for a workshop--or just to paint. Do many artists go there?
Deborah

PEI has been the recipient of a "reverse brain drain". All the rocket scientists moved away, and artists, artisans etc, moved TO the Island. There are lots of galleries, etc., and it's a very fun place in the summer.
Your acquaintance is probably my 17th cousin, or else has cousins who know my cousins. :D That's the way it seems to be when you grow up on an island.

Meisie
05-08-2004, 04:23 AM
And those artists etc who did not more to PEI came to Vancouver Island and the other little islands around here. So what we need is a tour for Jackie from PEI to BC ( did someone say from 'sea to sea' :D )

Meisie
who would also love to revisit Greece...but next year is a bit too soon....

Kathryn Wilson
05-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Ahhh . . . John and I have been looking at gorgeous photos from Greece - all those wonderful blues and white stucco. We've just had a trip of a lifetime - but sure would love to try Greece. Will look for your ads in Pastel Journal - I think that would be money well spent. Advertising pays!

E-J
05-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Jackie, if you'd caught me two months ago I'd have jumped at the chance to take a workshop with you on a Greek island - but I have signed up for a week's pastelling with Cath Read in the south of France this September and my budget won't stretch to another workshop quite so soon. Good luck - hope you find lots of takers.