PDA

View Full Version : acrylic glazes

cchapla1
09-11-2001, 07:12 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm just beginning to play with acrylic after many years and there has been alot of mention of glazing over acrylics. I know this is elementary, but what is used for the glaze? Does this add depth and sheen to the final painting? Thanks for any help. Carole:confused:

cuttlefish
09-12-2001, 02:12 PM
Acrylic glazes are made using translucent, staining color paint (Phthalocyanine greens and blues, Qinacridone and Naphthol reds, Hansa yelows, Dioxazine purple, et. al.) mixed with generous amounts of acrylic matte or gloss medium or gel (essentially paint without pigment) and some water. The addition of the medium distinguishes a glaze from a "wash", wherein the paint is simply thinned with water only or with a much smaller proportion of medium. Glazing does add a certain optical depth to the color, especially with successive layers of different colors. Any sheen depends on the type of clear medium you use, and will all be regularized when you apply your final varnish, unless you spot-varnish with varying matte/gloss mixtures.

timelady
09-12-2001, 05:05 PM
Recommended glaze medium to me was mixing 1/2 matt and 1/2 gloss medium. Works pretty well, though I haven't quite come to grips with it. (soft brushes seem to be key)

I also glaze over my acrylics with oils which I'm more experienced with and get lovely glowing finishes of colour. :)

Tina.

cchapla1
09-12-2001, 05:37 PM
Thanks Cuttlefish and Tina for the help. Now I'm ready to get out there and try these ideas. Carole:cat:

crazi4art
09-14-2001, 03:36 PM
hey,
i haven't used glazes before either so if you know any good names to use, please let me know cause i want to buy some thanks!
shivani

timelady
09-15-2001, 01:19 PM
I just buy my mediums with my paint, but here's the ones in my bucket:

Liquitex - Matte Medium, comes in a squeezy bottle

Windsor & Newton - Acrylic Matt Medium, comes in a jar (on the jar it says for a MORE fluid medium to use Acrylic Fluid Matt Medium)

Windsor & newton - Acrylic Fluid Gloss Medium, comes in a glass bottle (on the bottle it says to use Acrylic Gloss Medium for a LESS fluid medium)

I tend to use the Liquitex one most, only because it's in the squeeze bottle. :) I work *very* liberally with my paints and mediums so the bottle makes it easier to throw more on the palette.

Tina.

vallarta
09-15-2001, 07:48 PM
Glazes and scumbles are two techniques used in post underpainting work. Scumbles are generally opague and light....colors mixed with white paint and glaze medium....and glazes are colors mixed with glaze medium. You can put on many layers of glazes and scumbles....in no set order.

The darkest darks can be achieved with glazes of the darker complementaries. The most interesting lights with scumbles with soft overtones of glazes. Their use is really an art form and takes a lot of trying.

I suggest you try them BOTH...but dilute each so that they go on very thin. Then when they dry....decide what the next coat will be. Some of the old masters would put on as many as 17 coats...so dont give it a ONE-SHOT TRIAL.
vallarta