PDA

View Full Version : potpourri....

mjt
05-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Hi,

I'm including a selection of some recent paintings....16....from about a week ago. All are 5X7 acrylics on board except for the 2 panels which are 4X14 on watercolor paper.

Since WC does not allow the attachment of more than 5 files I'm including a website link to an index page. Click on any of the thumbnails for a larger representation.

http://www.centuryguild.com/wc/gallery_050304.htm

Michael

Helen Zapata
05-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Nice sets, Michael. Tons of sun streaked color. I bet your customers will grab them up.

I like the panels best... they are just so interesting!

Helen

Deano
05-05-2004, 12:38 AM
You are as creative as you are productive, Michael. 5 groups and each group is distinctive from the others. If I remember correctly, the first three groups are more abstract than your past landscapes...must be from the fact that you've done those abstracts lately. I see also that you're letting some under painting show through in the foregrounds. Great stuff, Michael! Is that fanbrush work on the foreground rocks(#5 in group 4)?

surreal
05-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Hi Michael,
Your paintings are very lovely.
:)

Do you ever use palette knives to paint with?

What size brushes do you paint with?

Thanks.

terriv
05-05-2004, 04:48 AM
Very pretty! I love the way you have all those loose lines going this way and that. They really give motion to simple landscapes. In my opinion, landsacapes without a dominant focal point that are "overly blended" end up dull and lifeless. Your's are extremely vibrant. Neat sizes to be working on too. I really like small paintings because one can own many and still find a place to hang them.

mjt
05-05-2004, 12:45 PM
I like the panels best... they are just so interesting!...Helen
I think everyone likes odd sizes. It's a good way to differentiate yourself from the ordinary.
If I remember correctly, the first three groups are more abstract than your past landscapes...must be from the fact that you've done those abstracts lately. I see also that you're letting some under painting show through in the foregrounds. Great stuff, Michael! Is that fanbrush work on the foreground rocks(#5 in group 4)?..Deano
The first group is quite abstract. At some point I'll mix an "abstract landscape" into an abstract painting.
I often allow some underpainting to remain in the foreground. Foreground is a necessary element to a landscape painting. It helps to establish value contrast and depth. But, there is no need for detail becuase it is not an area that should attract the eye of the viewer.
No fan brush was used. The underpainting was done with a 1/2 inch bristle bright.
Do you ever use palette knives to paint with?
What size brushes do you paint with?...surreal
I experimented with palette knives last summer. In general I really don't like the look of a palette knife painting....too harsh and too many hard edges. If I painted on canvas with acrylics a palette knife might be useful during the underpainting stage. Canvas seems to absorb so much paint. The extra thickness obtained with a palette knife might help.
Sizes: Underpainting....1/2 inch bristle bright, 1/4 inch sable flat, small round (#1), and script liner (#1).
In my opinion, landsacapes without a dominant focal point that are "overly blended" end up dull and lifeless....terriv
I'm with you! The majority of the landscapes I see in galleries tend to be what I call "plain wrap vanilla" paintings. They are flat and lifeless. The plein air genre in particular is loaded with paintings in this category (probably one reason why there appers to be a significant decrease in sales of plein air art in galleries). I try to paint a style of impressionism that I would call "romantic expressionisism" with a strong emphasis on focus, and, contrast of value, hue, saturation, and warm/cold.

Thanks for all the comments.
Michael

surreal
05-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Michael,
I asked if you used palette knives since the surface of a few of your paintings looked as though they may have been created with the use of palette knives.

mjt
05-05-2004, 11:38 PM
I asked if you used palette knives since the surface of a few of your paintings looked as though they may have been created with the use of palette knives...Nina
Hi Nina....I like to paint on a smooth surface. If I'm painting on masonite I spray on a coating of either gesso, or, more commonly a coat of Killz....a waterbased stain killer found in most paint stores. I've tried brushes and rollers but they simply are not smooth enough.

During the painting process I do develop texture in 2 ways:
1. paint build-up
2. lot's of dry brush strokes.

Michael

HRH Goldie
05-06-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi mjt,
As you know we have posted before so I was looking forward to seeing your work.
Group 1 seems to have an eventide light to it and in contrast group 3 appears to me to suggest the dawn time.
I am so inspired by your work and I have a huge (for me) canvas that is staring blankly at me. It is crying out for me to do something different but I am frightened to start or know where to start. Do you not fancy posting a WIP in acrylics?
I'm currently trying portraiture in class and I think it is safe to say that this is definately not my genre - however it is a learning curve and as I am painting in black and white it is very educational from a tonal point of view.
Need I say well done on yet another superb collection. :clap:
Christine

Helen Zapata
05-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Christine

Here are a couple of threads with WIPs by mjt. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168463

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155799

Helen

mjt
05-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Here are a couple of threads with WIPs by mjt....Helen
Thanks Helen....saved me from looking for these.
Note to Christine: The 2nd link is probably more representative of how I paint. The first link was really an experimentation.
Group 1 seems to have an eventide light to it and in contrast group 3 appears to me to suggest the dawn time....Christine
When I paint I really do not start with much of a pre-conceived notion time of day, or, for that matter, I have no idea where I'm going with a painting when I start. I simply let it develop by "chance" and then work with the shapes, forms, lines, and colors that that evolve that I like. THis is probably not an easy concept for you to imagine. If you watched it happening (in person) it would make much better sense.
I am so inspired by your work and I have a huge (for me) canvas that is staring blankly at me. It is crying out for me to do something different but I am frightened to start or know where to start.
I'm glad you're inspired! Here's a few suggestions:
1. Relax....this is not life or death!!
2. You did not mention the size of the canvas. I recommend going small...no bigger than 8X10. You will learn far more doing 10 8X10's in 10 hours that you could possibly learn doing one 30X40 in 10 hours!!!!
3. Paint a "basic" underpainting quickly. I generally have the entire surface covered with paint in the first 5 minutes or less of actual painting (it may take longer in real time than 5 minutes because I sometimes wait for the first of the darks...which tend to somewhat thicker with paint..to dry before I continue with the underpainting).
4. Make the underpainting muddy( greyed color). Many instructors teach that an underpainting should have "accurate" values....darks to light. I strongly disagree! I don't worry about lights until I'm well into the painting.
Do you not fancy posting a WIP in acrylics?
I have posted a few. WIPS are hard for me because I paint fast and in a rhythm. Most of my 5X7's are done in 30 to 45 minutes. I'll try to shoot some new pics when I paint again.

I'm currently trying portraiture in class and I think it is safe to say that this is definately not my genre - however it is a learning curve and as I am painting in black and white it is very educational from a tonal point of view.
I've never painted black and whites. But, I suspect that it could be a good exercise.

I'll be back to you.
Michael

HRH Goldie
05-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Zapata, Thanks very much for pointing out these WIP's :cool:
There is just something about the light values in mjts paintings and these address that. I was watching Kinkades work on QVC the other day and whilst his 'painting of light' is accomplished I agree with mjt in that he is not the only one. I too have been learning the importance of the 'dead layer'. It enabled me to successfully execute my best landscape to date and I am raring to go and looking for another image to suit my talents.
I was hoping that mjt would be able to do a WIP on abstract and I'll tell you why. mjt already knows but I have said to him that many abstracts do nothing for me but I'm totally inspired by his works. The fluidity he has is sadly lacking in a lot of works I've seen. Of course I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are many people like the rigidity of the other stuff. Speaking for me I am intrigued as to why I cannot for the life of me paint so loosely and freely - if you see what I mean.
Thanks again for info Zapata it will come in useful
Christine

HRH Goldie
05-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks mjt for the info - I must have been typing out zapata's reply as you were doing yours so I've only just read it.
I shall go and measure the canvas in a bit - its downstairs and unfortunately computer is upstairs in the study.
I get on the computer only in short spurts as it is the most used item in the house. What with a computer addict husband and two kids at school - one doing sats and the other taking his final GCSE's,
I will check back later.
Thanks again
Christine

mjt
05-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Do you not fancy posting a WIP in acrylics?.....Christine.........I'll try to shoot some new pics when I paint again......mjt
Ok Christine......I painted a couple pieces this afternoon taking a few photos along the way. I'll get the WIP posted later today or tomorrow.
Michael

HRH Goldie
05-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi Michael,
If its abstracts you're doing then I'm dying to see them. I hope I haven't pressured you into a WIP :o
I would have waited lol!
Looking forward to your next post - In the meantime I am amusing myself by painting a new variety of a single poppy head.
Christine

artistodon
05-07-2004, 01:33 AM
Beautiful paintings Michael. You have really mastered landscapes. I love the contrasts of bright colors and darks.
Don :)

mjt
05-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks Don for your comments.
If its abstracts you're doing then I'm dying to see them....Christine
A couple landscapes rather that abstracts. I'll get them posted today.
Michael

katz
05-07-2004, 01:18 PM
HI Michael.
Beautiful colors and technique, as always. :)
Gay