PDA

View Full Version : Well that's not a cat found in nature....

Leona
09-11-2001, 01:05 AM
http://vcl.ctrl-c.liu.se/vcl/Artists/Melissa-Swanson/syncweb.jpg

This was done as a requested picture for an online buddy... of her character Synchra who is a strange sort of mixed, not-at-all-possible-IRL breed of cat. Inked by hand, then run through Streamline to vectorize the links, popped into Illustrator for the flat color, then the wings and body were pieced together (and the wings were made transparent) in Photoshop. The flat cell shading was also done in PS.

I love this sort of digital coloring style because it is simplistic without being dull... and has a nice contrasty designy feel to it (I'm in school for graphic design/illustration... makes sense that I like this style, eh?)

Any comments/thoughts greatly appreciated... Oh.... and I know a background would have been nice... but as this was a possible t-shirt design I wanted to keep it more of a clean character illustration. Thanks again!

Leona

RedShoes
09-12-2001, 12:46 PM
No comments except that I love this! This is really cool. Love those wings. For some reason now I have that commercial in my head about Red Bull giving you wings! LOL. I can't image doing all that you did. I keep seeing things about photoshop. I am going to have to look into. Read a great children's book that was done completely in photo shop, "The Wild Waiyuzeeee".

sherville
09-15-2001, 08:07 AM
Oh wow! This is great. I am a HUGE fan of cartooning... one of the top 10 jobs I would love to have includes working for Disney :D
I have no comments to make agaisnt this, everything looks perfect - I like it without a background too :)
Photoshop is great for doing these sorts of things, isn't it? I used it to colour in every frame in a cartoon I made in college, it was about a penguin so the fact that it could do opacity was fantastic because it helped make the ice look... well, Icy :D
I have the Streamline demo but I don't understand how to use it... I was trying to clean up an inked drawing... I just made it worse, teeheehee!!
Your friend must have been very happy with the end result?
Thank you for sharing this, I would love to see more :)

Leona
09-15-2001, 12:33 PM
If you have the demo of Streamline, it rather sucks because you can't save anything in it. :( Evil Adobe people.

However, how I use Streamline is to convert inked drawings into clean vector drawings. Scan in at a really high res... at least 600... the bigger the image, the better the program will be able to convert it. Once you have your image scanned into the program, you can clean up any stray black or gray pixels with the eraser (actually, I'm not sure if the demo lets you do that... hrm... )...
Once you have the image cleaned up, go to File>convert... The program will turn your image in a vector based line drawing. At this point, I normally just highlight it all and drag it into Illustrator or PS...

You *may* be able to drag into another program with the Demo... give it a shot. I know you can't save,but I never tried dragging with it. :)

Thanks for the nice words you two... It took me a while to get the series of steps down that lead to work like this... Now, the longest part of a piece done in this style is the hand inking before scanning, and the cell shading in PS.

Thanks again!
Leona

sherville
09-16-2001, 06:53 AM
Thanks, I'll try cleaning up inked stuff the way you explained. Yeah, Streamline is pretty useless since it can't save as a demo, but If I ever work it out I can go about getting a copy of it...
Thank you for "tutorial" you gave me :D :)

digistyle
09-22-2001, 03:07 PM
I really like the colors used and the expression on the cat's face. Very nice.

digistyle