PDA

View Full Version : Category in image library for "Interiors"?

gofish
05-03-2004, 06:48 PM
I would love to start doing some interiors (indoor rooms with furniture, people, objects etc., where the whole room is portrayed not simply a still life in the room, I guess the whole room is considered the still life, ha!)

I've seen some wonderful work done in pastels with interiors as the subject. Jody dePew McLeane, Sandra Burshell, Bill Creevy, and Margaret Glass are a few pastel artists who do interiors. I plan to start taking digital photos to have something to work with. I looked in the image library but there is nothing there that I can find ( I looked in the Buildings and Still Life categories). There is certainly not a category of photos for indoor pics.

Anyone interested in asking for an Interiors category or posting some photos? I would be happy to post my own shots, once I accumulate some ;), on the photo image page, but it would be nice to have a separate category for it.

Full disclosure: Actually, I started a pastel today based on a photo from a book of photos taken in colorful rooms created by an interior designer in Tuscany. I knew better than to use this as the subject for a painting, but I rationalized that I'm still only practicing, still so new to pastels and all, it would never be good enough to do anything with, blah, blah, blah. It's coming out better than I thought, and my teacher gave me the lecture I have given myself many times,= no, don't ever use anything but your own or public domain photos. So, (sheepishly), I'm determined to break this habit before it really begins.

Any ideas, or comments from forum members/posters?
thanks,
Georganne

Dyin
05-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Two artists here, bnoonan and Redsy, both have done some really nice interior scenes lately. Have you tried hitting the info button at the library? I think there's a place to post requests and ask for new categories. It'd be a nice category...have you thought of going on one of those local home tours? Seems towns of any size has those...where you get to parade through some lovely homes...might make some nice pics. Redsy used a restaurant interior, so there's lots of options for taking your own pics.

Maryeve
05-03-2004, 07:13 PM
YES YES YES..I would love to see more of this too, I LOVE LOVE LOVE a roomscape, hmm, maybe ...no, not maybe, This will be the next on the agenda! :clap:

Im just not the greatest photographer, so I need some help from the image library myself!

MKathleen
05-03-2004, 07:17 PM
:) Hi Georganne, have you checked with the Image Library Moderator? I certainly would think if it's possible they would add that category. As you are interested in works of art including the entire room--why not start your own 'Project' it's very easy and I'm sure you'll get a good response. Here is a link to the 'Projects' where you can review other projects and instructions on how to start on of your own.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/

gofish
05-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks Dyin, those are very helpful suggestions. I'll look in the library under bnoonan and Redsy to see what is there.
Home tours are a very good idea for grabbing interior photo shots, and I was mulling that over myself. I would like to tour older homes as opposed to new homes, and there are some great older homes here in Tampa. So, I plan to do some snooping, and to carry my camera with me a whole lot more! I'll keep you posted.
Georganne

gofish
05-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Maryeve, I would love to see an interior "roomscape" done by you, your portraits are breath taking and I loved your recent giraffe :).

Let's see what I can come up with on collecting some photos, and maybe I'll even start a project thread as MKathleen suggests.
I'll even post my illegal WIP, :evil:

MKathleen, thank you for the referral to the image library moderator, I will certainly ask for an interiors category.
I've never started a project before, but I'm game, so I'll try it even though the painting I'll be posting is not fully my own.

thanks,
Georganne

Deborah Secor
05-03-2004, 08:17 PM
An "illegal WIP"!?! Sound scandalous...

I think you're okay as long as you
a) don't post the resource photo for others to copy
b) give credit to the photographer
c) don't sell it to anyone

I'd love to see a category like this. I started a series of roomscapes, too, so it interests me to see what you might be doing! Post that WIP. It would also be a good project. Great idea..let's do it..well, you do it and I'll be your cheerleader... ;)

Deborah

Mo.
05-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks Dyin, those are very helpful suggestions. I'll look in the library under bnoonan and Redsy to see what is there.
Home tours are a very good idea for grabbing interior photo shots, and I was mulling that over myself. I would like to tour older homes as opposed to new homes, and there are some great older homes here in Tampa. So, I plan to do some snooping, and to carry my camera with me a whole lot more! I'll keep you posted.
Georganne

Hi just a note, you won't find paintings of interiors in the image library, to find Bnoonan's painting do a general search on her name, I don't think Redsy has done any interiors, but djstar sure has, she did some cafe interiors a short while back, I think Dyin is mixing up the artists. :)

Mo.

Dyin
05-03-2004, 08:36 PM
ooops, you're right Mo...it was dj for sure...sheesh, must have just gotten done looking at Redsy's latest...does this mean the wet noodle??? :eek:

gofish
05-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Dee, I'll shoot a digital image of my "illegal WIP" :rolleyes: tomorrow and try to post it.
I posted a request for an "Interiors" category to be added to the image library, I'll post it in this thread when I get a reply.

As to starting a project, I'll read up on that procedure and start one.

Mo, before reading your post I searched the image library and found nothing under bnoonan or redsy, as you knew would happen. I'll do another search (in the forums) and take a look at djstars interiors. thanks.

Dyin, wet noodle, yep.

Georganne

gofish
05-05-2004, 09:53 PM
In order to support a new category, 12 or more photos of this type need to be uploaded before a new category can be created.

This prevents categories from being created *in the hopes that someone will come along and fill them...*

Let me know when you have 12 or more uploaded, and I can create the category and move the photographs for you.
Ivy

The above post is the answer to my request for a new category called "Interiors" or "Roomscapes".
Well, at present, I don't have 12 photos but I'm going to start working on it. Anyone have interior photos they would be willing to upload? Let me know if you do have any and I'll start counting them up to 12, at which point I will contact the librarian to establish the category.

I'll be out of town until the middle of next week, but when I get back, or before if I have time, I'll start a community project and also ask for photos there if I can.

Soon,
Georganne

Deborah Secor
05-05-2004, 10:32 PM
I have a few, especially if you don't mind people in them. My intention is to remove the folks and leave the rooms. One is outdoors but because of umbrellas it seems like a room... I have some shots of a friend's home and would need to check with her to see if it's okay to use them. And I have two of my own living room that are candidates. Let's say I have four, to be safe, but I may be able to put in a few more.

So glad this might be happening! Thanks for doing it, Georganne.
Deborah