PDA

View Full Version : Girl in a Cap

justjean
05-03-2004, 03:48 AM
Well here's my first try at freehand painting in Painter 8, didn't quite get the look but I'm happy :)

Jet
05-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Jean,
it's a great start, just take it as a work in progress..
You might add some shading here and some highlites there..
..go on playing with it... it has a solid base already.

Regards

LadyAlba
05-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Now I have not seen this one! ;o) I agree with Jet it is a good solid base I would keep it and keep going back adding and playing with it. You are really getting a handle on painter......guess I am going to have to give up my crutch (PS) and dive into painter and painter only. lol

justjean
05-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks Jet and Lady A, I'm having a hard time with the brushes in Painter, found psp7 much easier lol, but I'll keep trying :)

themanda
05-03-2004, 06:05 PM
this is totally the pot calling the kettle black, but keep at it! i've tried and tried painter over and over again, but i just can't get the hang of it. when i see masters like gloria and joel with it, i want to be able to jump in there and do what they do, so i get frustrated too quickly with painter and just go running back to ps.

good luck!

baquitania
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
This is very good... all your general tones are there, now you just have to dig deep for the likeness. I think the hardest part is over, yer half way home in my opinion. And as for painter, *raises hand* count me as one of those people who prefers the photoshop interface...

I like painter... but it's not my favorite cup of tea. Thank god for you guys, I can just sit back and watch it done :D

Bobby

flowerfancy58
05-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Wow Jean, this is really VERY good!! I agree with the comments, and think maybe dabbing a few deeper shades here and there on her face would just about do it:).

gloria

JCoop
05-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Jean, I love the fact that you are working toward proficiency in Painter. Once you get past a certain learning threshold in painter, you'll never look back... and your are fast approaching that threshold.

I agree with the others... concentrate on reporducing the highlights and the shadows here and this piece will leap forward in impact.

GoldCoin
05-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Justjean...

Very nice, you did a wonderful job with her clothes. You are off to a great start with the face, I've found those direct front faces are soooo hard. Keep going...

ExpressMark
05-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Well here's my first try at freehand painting in Painter 8, didn't quite get the look but I'm happy :)

Hi, I wanted to coment about your learning process. I hope I am not to late, but you have been advised to change this piece, to go back and keep adding to it to encourage the learning process.

But before you do, let me suggest this. That you do nothing with the origional piece. Save it and keep it and be sure to date so you can look back and see how far you have come.

Work or play with a copy , this way as I said you always have your first works to go back and see your progressions.

Ok, that being said, I would like to suggest a tip on how to make the planes of the face have the depth, or 3D feel to them.

Think of the face each section of as a series of planes.... forinstance the bridge of nose perhaps is a light value, now look at its basic fundamental shape. Dont focus on exact details, but simply the most simple form or shape of the brdige of the nose.
Now look at the side of the nose in this case we will say there is a slightly darker color or shadow ... look at its shape... it is like a jig saw puzzle.. piece by piece keep connecting the pieces, dont worry if they are perfect at first you will have time to come back and reshape or define them more clearly.

Now lets just emagine you have continued this process accross the face... what you should have is a series of planes or color shapes all connecting though not perfect still conecting.... now take a blender of your choice one you are most comfortable with... I recommend Soft Blender stump 10 if you are using Painter 8 with an Opacity of 29%.
Gently begin to mold and define the shapes and creating the half tones as well. Suddenly your work is smoothing out, more dimension will unfold.

I am working on tutorial that breaks this down more clearly with example.

I hope though this might assist you in taking the obvious tallent you have and continue to move forward. Great things await you :)

ExpressMark
MBStudios

Chiers
05-04-2004, 04:09 AM
Well it's pretty much been said already but nice start here Jean. Now concentrate on the lights and the darks and watch the face take shape.

justjean
05-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Themanda,Bobby,Gloria and Joel I'll keep trying :)

Mark you where to late but thats okay I'll know for next time, tried your settings for the blender but I must have something set up wrong because the blender does nothing then goes fine for a bit and then I get a big swoop of movement.

I do appreciate the help that you all have offered , thanks everyone

Let me know if I'm getting any closer please :)

justjean
05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Forgot to say that I also adjusted the brightness and contrast :)

Jet
05-04-2004, 10:04 AM
OH, yes, you're more than close..
...although it has your own style....
it's not an identical copy but it has the mood of it alright !

Now that's a great advance .:clap:

Regards

JCoop
05-04-2004, 11:09 AM

Jean, this is truly a bold and meaningful leap forward. Great job! :clap:
You're on the right track.

justjean
05-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Chiers thanks :) I think I'm a little scared of colours but I'm trying LOL

fugitive
05-04-2004, 04:12 PM

Mark you where to late but thats okay I'll know for next time, tried your settings for the blender but I must have something set up wrong because the blender does nothing then goes fine for a bit and then I get a big swoop of movement.

Let me know if I'm getting any closer please :)Yes, you are doing good with the later one. One thing got me, the big Swoop. Sounds like the program, catching up, after processing. Painter is a memory hog, and can do weird things like letting you sit back and watch the brush catch up to where you've been. Make sure your Ram is enough, don't run too many proggies. Don't make the brush large.
Greg

fugitive
05-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks Jet and Lady A, I'm having a hard time with the brushes in Painter, found psp7 much easier lol, but I'll keep trying :)
I've use PSP since 3, and Painter, since 6, and PSP is so much easier to use. Version 8 has much better brushes than before, (whole new brush engine) and you can get a free one for sixty days, at jasc.com. My 3 painters are down now, and I can't use them, but when up, I only did texture painting in Painter, and did all edits layers, all of that in psp. Just an FYI.greg

flowerfancy58
05-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Jean,
I love the color adjustments you made with this:) Wonderful!!

gloria

justjean
05-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi Greg

Make sure your Ram is enough, don't run too many proggies. Don't make the brush large.
Greg

thanks for the info I'm going to up my memory to 512 this week so I hope that helps and I have PSP8 but I don't like it near as well as 7 , I first tried digital painting when I got my PSP7 Anniv. Ed and I guess I'm so comfortabe with it I keep going back to it :)

justjean
05-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks Gloria :)

fugitive
05-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Hi Greg

thanks for the info I'm going to up my memory to 512 this week so I hope that helps and I have PSP8 but I don't like it near as well as 7 , I first tried digital painting when I got my PSP7 Anniv. Ed and I guess I'm so comfortabe with it I keep going back to it :)Take it from one who knows, eight is superior. With it's new Scripts, you can do all kinds of jobs, automated. The Jasc people have their own Forum now, which has a lot if 8 info, and help.

Jet
05-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi Greg

thanks for the info I'm going to up my memory to 512 this week so I hope that helps and I have PSP8 but I don't like it near as well as 7 , I first tried digital painting when I got my PSP7 Anniv. Ed and I guess I'm so comfortabe with it I keep going back to it :)

Jean,
Check the prices on RAM going to 512 won't help much, and you'll have no slots left for next upgrade.Better go to 1024 on those 2 empty slots, that way you'll be ready for the whole '2G' approach at a later date.

As a 'must have', is a Graphics Accelerator Video Card, get the best you can afford. Remember that we need the PC to respond as fast as we are doing , if not the game starts to get boring and unproductive.

Hope you have the chance to go to 1024 RAM at least. you won't regret it a bit.

Have fun !! a fast paced fun , that is !

Regards

Cronious
05-05-2004, 06:26 AM

Sorry about jumping in late here. I think this is progressing really well.

One of the things I have recently found is you can set the sensitivity of your pressure for the brushes in painter. Here is how, It should help with the blenders to give you a softer begining when using low pressure on your tablet.

Edit > Preferences > Brush Tracking.

draw a sweeping using the lightest touch to produce a mark. This will set up the settings under the scratch pad when you click on the box a second time. Try your paint brushes in a new image, and adjust acordingly. A good brush to use for trying this out is the sagent brush in the artist catergory, as this responds well to different pressures.

Hope this helps

Crone

ExpressMark
05-05-2004, 09:28 AM

Not a problem on the blender, the tutorial will spell it out in more detail, but for now do this. Decrease the Opacity of that blender if you have to... to as little as 11%. This will give you very little movement however should you need a little more movement then increase it till the desired result is found.

I change my often between 11% to 23% and as much as 29% when shaping. Note at 29% you should get movement but at that level it is designed to blend and shape without the dirty look of the smudge tool.

But you can blend the life out of it if you over shape with it. So lets say you are finalizing your on your last lars of color if so use a lower percentage like 11 to 15% for a smooth feel to it.

There is more that I do in dynamic Blending which my tutorial spells out.

If possible I will try to have it up today or tomorrow none the less keep your eyes open for it as it will be soon.

Oh btw you can see an example of the very method in my latest piece of which I am showing a step by step of the piece.
Its Titled "Delicate Flower"
ExpressMark
MBStudios

justjean
05-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Sorry about jumping in late here. I think this is progressing really well.

One of the things I have recently found is you can set the sensitivity of your pressure for the brushes in painter. Here is how, It should help with the blenders to give you a softer begining when using low pressure on your tablet.

Edit > Preferences > Brush Tracking.

draw a sweeping using the lightest touch to produce a mark. This will set up the settings under the scratch pad when you click on the box a second time. Try your paint brushes in a new image, and adjust acordingly. A good brush to use for trying this out is the sagent brush in the artist catergory, as this responds well to different pressures.

Hope this helps

Crone

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Cronious it worked :) :)