PDA

View Full Version : I've got a week to find motivation.

Chistery
05-03-2004, 03:17 AM
It's been so long since I've gotten out my pastels. My mother's birthday falls on Mother's Day this year, and she is expecting things from me. With Senior Project finally over and the school year winding down I may be able to start drawing again, but for now, I have a week. This is actually the decoy, she asked to a picture of her dog, but I aquired a photo of her daughter and baby boy which if I do a decent job drawing I know will be much more appreciated. This was a nice little warm up, but I dont know how well it worked. I do not feel very motivated, vacuuming the house is looking pretty good right now.

Meisie
05-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Love your dog!!

Meisie

bodhigirl
05-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Get thee to a bookstore!!

There is a book called Art & Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland. It is PRICELESS for anyone who struggles with motivation, confidence, or doubt. It completely changed the way I look at what I do, and whenever I stall..I read it again for a swift kick in the tail.

Hope that helps!

Heather

jackiesimmonds
05-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Get thee to a bookstore!!

There is a book called Art & Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland. It is PRICELESS for anyone who struggles with motivation, confidence, or doubt. It completely changed the way I look at what I do, and whenever I stall..I read it again for a swift kick in the tail.

Hope that helps!

Heather

Rushing off to Amazon..............I often have to work through confidence and doubt. Doesn't totally stall me tho...the best thing is to choose a change of subject, gets you motivated in no time, cos it gets the adrenalin running!

Stop vacuuming, get thee to the picture of the mother and child and just DO IT.

lozz
05-03-2004, 09:15 AM

Well said! Just do it Chistery! Once you start, the momentum will kick in and you'll be well away!!!

BTW nice job on the pooch!

best wishes and looking forward to seeing the outcome! HINT! HINT! :)

lozz

K Taylor-Green
05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Motivation can be elusive at the best of times, but when under a deadline?!
But if your dog piece is any indication of your work, she will love the mother and child piece. I agree with Jackie, just bite the bullet and do it! Once started, I think you will be surprised.

Deborah Secor
05-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi and welcome to our neighborhood!

Mmmm, motivation can be one of the trickiest parts of art, eh? However, this dog is wonderful. I think you should put this one aside, paint the portrait, and then keep on painting. Trust me, you'll make more dust painting and need to vacuum afterwards so why waste time doing it now when you can paint? Besides--you have a deadline, a reason to paint and it will be far more valuable over time than housework. (Can you tell I've used this line of reasoning often? ;) )

Is the dog oil pastels or softies? What size is it? What paper? I love the colors you've chosen.

Deborah

Khadres
05-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Don't worry, I do the stall thing way too often, myself. I often wonder WHY we do that with things we LOVE to do?? I used to do it with writing, as well. The old "Oh! I should dust the rungs of that chair over there before I let myself paint/write/whatever."

Nice dog and I'm wondering same as Dee....OPs or softies?

Mikki Petersen
05-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I only run into the "stall" when I'm doing something for someone else. I believe it is performance anxiety...the fear of failed expectations. I agree with Jackie that the only way through this is to DO IT! Force yourself to sit down, start sketching the outline, get your fingers dirty and try to let go of the need to please Mom for the moment. Do this for your pleasure and Mom will love it! The Dog painting prooves you have the ability. So get on it! We are expecting a WIP by tomorrow...

BTW, whenever I need to vacuum, I find myself in front of my easel instead :evil: !

Dyin
05-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, I adore the colors you used in the dog! And a great expression. Here's how I get motivated. I take my time to enjoy each step. Pick the right support. Decide the base color. Decide the crop. Do the composition figuring. Do the sketch. By the time I get to doing it I'm all excited because I know exactly what I want...then it's just fun getting it to work. If that doesn't work I have plenty of friends who enjoy kicking me in the butt when I need it :D

Paula Ford
05-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Rushing off to Amazon..............I often have to work through confidence and doubt. Doesn't totally stall me tho...the best thing is to choose a change of subject, gets you motivated in no time, cos it gets the adrenalin running!

LOL, as soon as I saw what Heather wrote about that book, I was also off to Amazon and ordered that book and also another one very similar!!

LOVE your dog, it's beautiful and the colors are outstanding!!

Paula

gofish
05-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Art and Fear = great book, funny, inspiring, and so true. The authors are photographers by trade, but we are all artists and they know, only too well, all the pitfalls that accompany the urge to create or the lack of it. There is always something in this book that hits home. I give copies as gifts. My own copy is dog eared, tabbed, underlined, and frequently referred to. :)

Here's an example:
"Talent is a snare and a delusion. In the end, the practical questions about talent come down to these: Who cares? Who would know? and What difference would it make? And the practical answers are: Nobody, Nobody, and none."

Or this:
"...while artists always have a myriad of reasons to quit, they consistently wait for a handful of specific moments to quit. Artists quit when they convince themselves that their next effort is already doomed to fail. And artists quit when they lose the destination for their work- for the place their work belongs."

And finally:
"Uncertainty is the essential, inevitable, and all-pervasive companion to your desire to make art. And tolerance for uncertainty is the prerequisite to succeeding."

Hope you find these excerpts tantalizing!

The dog is a good start, and nicely done, but the portrait is the goal so go for it.

Georganne

Pinecone Conniff
05-03-2004, 11:24 PM
My favorite motivator in my studio is a grande iced mocha from Starbucks...so get your favorite treat & have FUN painting!! ;)
Annette

SweetBabyJ
05-03-2004, 11:31 PM
If that doesn't work I have plenty of friends who enjoy kicking me in the butt when I need it :D

See? She mentioned me!!

Motivation is a dual-edged sword- when you NEED it- a deadline, a project you aren't crazy about but which could bring money, an idea which is not-quite-ready for borning- motivation is usually found under the sofa cushions which you are cleaning so you don't have to paint. When you're brimming with motivation, other people in the house walk on tip-toe and manage to get their own meals- 'cause you're not paying any attention- everything is flowing and working and it's a joy.

They should bottle the stuff and let us self-medicate PRN.

Chistery
05-04-2004, 04:41 AM
boy! I wasn't expecting this. Father's brakes went out again, he borrowed my car leaving my day hectic, woken up an hour early with 3 minutes to get out the door to be dropped off at school, took the hour long public bus ride home(which takes 8 minutes driving, which logically doesn't work for me), got a call that I had to pick my sister up from day care because my step mom would be late, and I had no car so I had to walk(quickly), rushed around to do homework and dishes and laundry, and then jump in my stepmom's car when she got home, went to work for four hours, and finally got home at 11. Figured I might as well visit this place to relax a bit and I am bombarded by you people, but thank you, and I will get started on it tomorrow, when hopefully I will have more time.

I spotted a couple questions, so; its oil pastel, my father got me a set of those soft ones a couple years ago and I tried them once, couldn't the things, so messy, and I like control. Size, hmm 10'' by 8'' maybe, I dont know, I just started in the corner and drew towards the middle. Type of paper, I laugh at such a thought as knowing what kind of paper. I would call it cheap acid-free old paper found at the bottom of my dresser. Cheap pastels too, I don't much care for the expensive stuff, I find it difficult to work on. ugh, why so chatty, no one should have this much energy at midnight after a day like mine.

Here is the photo I was talking about, the crop is what is sticking me on this one, I do not feel inclined to follow compositional rules and such.

Karris