PDA

View Full Version : Help!! new to acrylic painting!!

newtopaint
09-10-2001, 05:33 PM
I am in desperate search of a site that offers drawings or pre-printed canvas's, so that i can paint them in uniform. i cant draw but i am trying very hard to learn to paint.. please let me know if you can help

Thanks all!

bug
09-10-2001, 08:25 PM
Just a suggestion; maybe you should consider just working on a few abstracts just to get the feel for the paint. Abstracts don't always require drawling skills at all. Try looking at most of my work on my site you'll see what I mean. You can get some nice pictures with just shapes and you get a feel for using the paints. Good luck.:) Please post some of your work soon whatever you decide to do. :D

perry31415
09-12-2001, 12:36 PM
Hi Newtopaint,

I'm kind of oldtopaintbutwithalengthyhiatusandnowback, but that would be a silly name.

What I would recommend: have fun, relax, follow some of the great tutorials on this site, enjoy the results (even if you hide them under the bed later).

I found it fun to do water colors on wet paper, watch the colors spread through the fibers of the paper, blend together in beautiful accidents, enjoy the patterns, make flowers (or anything!)

If you aren't having fun, then you might as well be at work (shudder).

newtopaint
09-12-2001, 05:20 PM
Thanks Bug and Perry!
I will try and get a picture from my digital camera so you guys can see my first painting from Jerry Yarnell's First painting book series.I know thats cheating, but i have to learn somewhere!!! Let me know what you think!! Please go easy on me He He!! But tell me where to improve!! I'll post it tonight hopefully!!

Newtopaint :-)

vallarta
09-12-2001, 06:04 PM
You might well consider taking a photo, or a picture out of a magazine, of something you can relate to. Then draw on the picture a series of horizontal and verticle lines equally spaced. Then go to your canvas or paper and do the same with the SAME NUMBER OF LINES...EQUALLY SPACED. THIS IS CALLED SQUARING UP. THEN USING THE LINES AND THE PHOTO COPY THE PICTURE ON THE CANVAS. DRAW WITH A PENCIL...THEN SHADE THE PICTURE WITH CHARCOAL. THEN USE SOME HAIR SPRAY AND SPRAY YOUR WORK AND LET IT DRY FOR AN HOUR OR SO. THIS WILL PROTECT YOUR DRAWING.

WHOOPEE....you now have your very own...paint by numbers. MOST IMPORTANTLY IT WILL BE YOUR PICTURE......

try it!

vallarta

dollardays
09-15-2001, 05:28 PM
I like Vallarta's suggestion above. The painting will mean more to you and you will try harder if it's something you really like and want to keep. :)

Good luck. I learn a lot from books, too. Not being able to afford instruction.

Nora