PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 3 May - 9 May

Stoy Jones
05-03-2004, 01:54 AM
By request, I posted this thread for E-J who is on holiday, enjoy!

Welcome to the Weekly Pastel Sketches - a thread open to all members of the Pastel forum, from newbie to pro and from oilies to softies!

Inspired by Craig Nelson's book '60 Minutes to Better Painting', its aim is to encourage all of us to fit some painting practice into our week and hone our pastel skills by doing relatively quick studies taking anything up to an hour. Set your timer for 25 mins, or 45, or 60, or somewhere in between ... kick up some pastel dust and when your time is up, STOP, and share your efforts with us here!

Regular sketching to a time limit sharpens your observation and forces you to make rapid decisions as you explore new pastel techniques, free from the pressure of thinking you have to produce a masterpiece. Feel free to post as many of your sketches as you like. This thread is all about getting your fingers gunky and having a go!

Happy sketching

Stoy Jones
05-04-2004, 08:17 PM
*Bump* :D Any takers this week?

Stoy

Deborah Secor
05-04-2004, 08:25 PM
No sketches for me... this weather is so beautiful I can't bear to be in my dark studio! I'm just praying that I can somehow quietly move my hubby's stuff out of the 'spare' room and slip my easel in there! Think he'd notice??? Lotsa light in there!

I guess everyone else is doing more than just sketches. Thanks for posting the thread anyway, Stoy. :)

Deborah

Mo.
05-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi Stoy, well done to you for keeping this thread moving, I'll start you off with this little sketch I did yesterday, it's of a friend, Jenny, who came visiting and agreed to let me sketch her as we all sat chatting, about an hour, maybe just over..... pastel pencils indigo and sanguine.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2004/5154-jenny.jpg
Mo.

Stoy Jones
05-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Lol! Thanks Deb for popping in. I would have a go myself, but terribly busy and tired :( from my art classes and work schedule, I'm cutting back after this is over..in a few weeks if I make it..lol! Surely your hubby will understand, we all need a little light to work by :)

Mo, thanks for posting and what a cool piece you have there! I can't get anyone around me to sit still for a few minutes to paint, unless it is in class! I like the folds in the jacket and the strands of the hair...nice touch not going any further to put in seating details. Nice feel to the whole thing!

Stoy

stonewhiteclown
05-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Hi there!
Mo, you sketch is delicious! Just wondering what took more time - face or jacket. Sure, features need precision while jacket needs time, I figure :cool:
Good thing to find someone to model...
Well, Stoy, I'll post my two recent efforts, that'll help you to keep thread afloat :)
This is chesnut blossom, done from life, under 1 hour I think. Silly me placed it upside down :(
Oil pastels on Ingres with gouache underpainting (background) 10x8.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2004/30926-chestnut_flwr.jpg

stonewhiteclown
05-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Lillies of the valley, from life, 50 minutes I think.
Oil pastels on Ingres 5x5.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2004/30926-lillyotv.jpg

Stoy Jones
05-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Alex, thanks and great looking pieces! Had no idea your chestnut blossom was upsidedown, could be in need of water... :p :D Lillies of the Valley turned out looking fine!..but that glass! Nice effect there...looking very "glassy". Beautiful!

Stoy

pampe
05-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Plein aire today

about 40 minutes....8 x 10 inches

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2004/4054-rocks.jpg

Stoy Jones
05-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Great looking sketch, Pampe! Is the path or ground the color of the paper showing? Gotta love those rocks!

Stoy

Deborah Secor
05-06-2004, 10:41 PM
I finally have one to show..! This was a very quick little 9x12" on dark blue La Carte, done to plan whether or not to do a larger version. I'm not sold on that idea yet, but still thinking about it. So nice to get pastel under the nails again.

Deborah

Stoy Jones
05-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Deborah, this is a great sketch! I take it is a fading light in a valley...how do you decide on something like this? I love the green in the foreground, all that texture makes it look grassy for a field. Nice!

Stoy

sundiver
05-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Deborah, Mo, Alex and Pam: Nicely done plein airs, figures, and all!
I envy those who have flowers to paint in rl...spring has been so slow coming here.
I have 3 or 4 plein airs I would post if scanner would co-operate (it won't). Nothing special anyway. I'll try to get the digicam from work.
Keep up the good work, people! :clap:

pampe
05-07-2004, 11:21 AM
thanks,all

Deb, I like that a lot!
I hope you do a larger one.

Stoy, yes the ground IS the paper

E-J
05-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Stoy, thanks so much for keeping the sketch thread alive! :)

Great work from Mo, Alex, Pam and Deborah. It's especially rewarding to see so much being done directly from life! I did four plein airs this week which would all qualify for this thread but as they're already in their own thread, I don't want to clutter the place up by re-posting them.

Alex, I had no idea that Ingres would hold a gouache underpainting.

Wendy, hope to see your plein airs soon!

prestonsega
05-09-2004, 03:05 AM
Stoy....My computer was down all week (still is ,,,,I'm on my sister's laptop), but I did a plein aire 1 hour sketch this week( timed down to the second)! I am rather pleased with the outcome and would love to show it. The only problem is that I still haven't the ability to post!!!! I will post it when circumstances allow. Thanks for running the weekly sketch in EJ's absence!

stonewhiteclown
05-09-2004, 04:37 AM
Alex, I had no idea that Ingres would hold a gouache underpainting.
Why not, it's stretched... Layer in thin, too. But I don't like it anyway, next time it will be watercolours.

E-J
05-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Why not, it's stretched... Layer in thin, too. But I don't like it anyway, next time it will be watercolours.

I love Ingres as a sketching paper but thought it might be too flimsy for a wash. Looks like it worked well for you, though!

Preston, I'm finding that one hour is the ideal time for a plein air sketch. Look forward to sharing yours!

stonewhiteclown
05-09-2004, 10:54 AM
I love Ingres as a sketching paper but thought it might be too flimsy for a wash. Looks like it worked well for you, though!
I have heavier Ingres, that one is pretty good. But you are right, one posted here is sketch type and actually teared under staples while drying :)

pampe
05-09-2004, 12:55 PM
I think 1 hour is about right too...longer and you lose light and fiddle too much! :eek:

Stoy Jones
05-10-2004, 03:04 AM
Stoy....My computer was down all week (still is ,,,,I'm on my sister's laptop), but I did a plein aire 1 hour sketch this week( timed down to the second)! I am rather pleased with the outcome and would love to show it. The only problem is that I still haven't the ability to post!!!! I will post it when circumstances allow. Thanks for running the weekly sketch in EJ's absence!

Thanks Preston, will watch for you when you can post!

Stoy