PDA

View Full Version : Rock & Wave WIP

Marty C
05-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi All,
After being away from the brushes due to travel committments I have finally got some canvases prepared and getting some paint flowing again. I have just started one so I thought I would make a WIP out of it. This is from a photo I took whilst down at the Masters competition at Margaret River, a wave breaking very near rocks a short distance from the contest site. It was a grey, gloomy day which was great as I wanted to do something with less colour and more atmosphere than the work I had been doing.
This is 100 by 75cm, gallery wrap canvas which I prepare myself, and acrylic paint. This is the underpainting, equivalent to the Flemish dead layer, where all the values and forms can be established. The grays are made of various mixes of burnt umber, ultramarine blue and titanium white. There is lots more detail to follow, particularly in the forefround area. I'll post as I get more done.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2004/16809-Grey_Scale1.jpg

Anita Orsini
05-02-2004, 09:30 PM
This is looking good so far and I am very interested in watching this progress. I have just recently been working in acrylic and am eager to see how others work. I like the contrast of the diagonals created by the rocks against the other horizontals lines.
Anita

katz
05-02-2004, 10:51 PM
This looks great Marty, I'm looking forward to your progress.
Gay

laudesan
05-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Pulling up a chair........

shrinkinviolet
05-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Hi Marty,
I'm going to enjoy watching this one develop. Is it my imagination or is the horizion sloping?
Judy

Eugene Veszely
05-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Marty good to see you back at it :)

ripvanblair
05-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Looking very good--------well done-----Alan

Diane Cutter
05-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Good start... but, yup... Unless you are using a fisheye lens, I think the horizon is crooked, as mentioned, sloping down on the right.

Diane

Dark_Shades
05-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Wow.... is pretty impressive already Marty ...... great movement ...... cant wait to see more updates on this

Marty C
05-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Hi All,
Thanks to everyone who has had a look and said hello so far. The horizon isn't sloping, I was pretty carfeul in measuring a level line for horizons. It may be the slope of the photo, often when I press the shutter button the camera tilts to the right, which is why I normally rest the camera on a solid object to take a pic of a work, but not obviously this time.
Second instalment. The first layer of colour. I washed in a very pale blue (mix of UM blue, titanium white and some burnt umber) over the sky. The sky will essentially be a blue/gray. In fact the whole work will be quite muted in colour, very different from my normal bright sunshine pieces.
I added Pthalo Aqua in several washes to the wave and used the sky blue/gray on the rest of the sea and in areas of the white water and also on areas of the rocks. I have started to increase the rock contrasts but I have a long way to go with rocks and foreground.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2004/16809-Ist_Colour1.jpg

LisaArt
05-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Hi Marty, I am really enjoying this WIP. It is beatiful so far. Beautiful waves and rocks. This is a great learning experience for me. I find water very hard to paint.

laudesan
05-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Loving this, and your instructions.. I am soo close to trying oil painting again..

Eugene Veszely
05-04-2004, 10:31 AM
LOL....Is it sold yet ?? ;)

Yax
05-04-2004, 05:58 PM
What a great start Marty...this is going to be a winner. Yax

Marty C
05-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi All,
Next instalment. I have worked on the rocks, using mainly burnt umber, Paynes gray, some of the sky blue mix, and grays from the underpainting stage. I also worked on the white water amongst the rocks, using titanium white and more of the sky blue mix. The rocks area is pretty well finished now and I have started on the most difficult area of the foreground swirling water. Still a bit to go yet but it feels like it is coming together pretty well. The colour in the photo is actually more muted than the real work, next time I will play with the software a bit and try and get the colour up. This gives you an idea of what is going on however.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2004/16809-2nd_Colour1.jpg

shrinkinviolet
05-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Marty, this is so wonderful. Again, thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I have already learned so much just from watching you.
Judy

laudesan
05-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Still here learning..:)

Eugene Veszely
05-05-2004, 06:36 AM
Marty...so when are these waves going to have someone surfing on them ???? :)

Marty C
05-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Hi All,
Last one. I worked on the foreground area, using most of the colours I had mixed on my palette - the sky blue/gray, some pthalo aqua, some burnt umber, couple of gray shades, and suggested shapes under the water, swirls and eddies, and a little foam. The final touch was some spray coming from the falling lip of the wave and a signature in the bottom. I may enter this one in the current Seascpe competiton of Australian Artist - it may give them a good laugh and maybe they'll feel sorry for me and give me a year's subscription.
Eugene - you probably won't see any surfers in my work. I reckon the waves are crowded enough already without me adding more to them!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2004/16809-Rocks_and_Shorebreak1.jpg

laudesan
05-05-2004, 07:30 PM
MArty this looks real good..

I am wondering if the wave needs darkening a little on the right side to give it more depth??

Good Luck with the comp, you should go for it!!!!!!!!!!

itsmecherren
05-06-2004, 10:37 AM
This is wonderful Marty. :clap:

Eugene Veszely
05-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Eugene - you probably won't see any surfers in my work. I reckon the waves are crowded enough already without me adding more to them!

Fair enough :) ...I'll have to take your word for it as I dont see the surf very often :(

Marty C
05-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks JJ, Eugene, itsmecherren -your comments are very much appreciated.

ripvanblair
05-07-2004, 02:57 AM
Excellent Marty you can just feel the surge from these breakers, the rise and fall of the water levels between the rocks, the fresh sea air, wonderful!!-----------well done-------Alan

HRH Goldie
05-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi Marty I've followed the thread to the WIP from the acrylic thread. Love the translucency of the water :clap:
Alan I took the liberty of taking a peek in your gallery. Apart from being bombarded with pop ups from your host or whatever you call them :crying: I loved your paintings - they are very reminiscent of illustrative books I read as a child. I could well see your work in a huge childrens book in the future because they are so colourful and vibrant and draw you in to a whole story.
Thanks for sharing
Christine

Marty C
05-10-2004, 03:44 AM
Hi Alan - thank you very much. Normally my chief critic (my wife) has lots of "suggestions" on my work. This time she couldn't think of anything to say, a very good sign things were going well! :D
Hi Christine - Thanks also, glad you found your way here.

Gillette
05-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Hi Marty
Have really enjoyed and learned a lot from following this WIP, and love the result. I look forward to seeing it published in Australian Artist, I'm sure you're on a winner with this one.
The different palette is most attractive.
Jane.

Marty C
05-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Hi Jane,
Thanks so much, but I very much doubt you will ever see this in any magazine. The works submitted in those Australian Artist contests are of an extremely high standard, a little above my humble efforts.

Eugene Veszely
05-12-2004, 06:41 AM
I was thinking you do better work than some of what I see in the Australian Artist as well...so you need to enter their Seascapes, Rivers and Lakes comp they have running now!!!!!

HRH Goldie
05-12-2004, 05:41 PM
I was so inspired to try big waves that I did and what a disaster :crying:
Although I wanted to take a more abstract approach or impressionistic rather than a realism painting, I just can't get the translucency of the water. Yet when I did a smaller painting of waves lapping it worked just fine. I didn't have any help with that apart from I could see where I had to go from the photo. Funny that isn't it? That I could do it on one painting and not on another. I thought it was maybe a colour thing so I rushed out and bought a pthalo turquoise but although it has helped its just not right. In fact its so not right I would be embarrassed to show you.
I therefore feel humbled in your proverbial presence. ;)
Christine

Marty C
05-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Christine,
Please don't feel humble, it is only a matter of practice and experimenting and learning from others in my case, not some huge natural talent believe me. I have much to learn and a long way to go before I can say I can do very good work. Larry Seiler always says you need to do 120 paintings before you do your first good one. I am only now hitting the right numbers.
You will do great waves too I am sure, first you have to do lots, I know I have.

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence marty ;)
Christine

stoney
06-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi All,
After being away from the brushes due to travel committments I have finally got some canvases prepared and getting some paint flowing again. I have just started one so I thought I would make a WIP out of it. This is from a photo I took whilst down at the Masters competition at Margaret River, a wave breaking very near rocks a short distance from the contest site. It was a grey, gloomy day which was great as I wanted to do something with less colour and more atmosphere than the work I had been doing.
This is 100 by 75cm, gallery wrap canvas which I prepare myself, and acrylic paint. This is the underpainting, equivalent to the Flemish dead layer, where all the values and forms can be established. The grays are made of various mixes of burnt umber, ultramarine blue and titanium white. There is lots more detail to follow, particularly in the forefround area. I'll post as I get more done.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2004/16809-Grey_Scale1.jpg

Jaw drops. If you hadn't indicated this was an underpainting I would have thought it was completed.

Marty C
06-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Hi Stoney,
You are too kind, at that point there was a long way to go, but I must say at that point my wife, who is a wonderful woman and I love her dearly but she is a merciless critic, loved what she saw so I knew that at last I was on to a good thing! :D

stoney
06-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Hi Stoney,
You are too kind, at that point there was a long way to go, but I must say at that point my wife, who is a wonderful woman and I love her dearly but she is a merciless critic, loved what she saw so I knew that at last I was on to a good thing! :D

I saw it as all under stormy skies which shades everything in gray.

This site has certainly been an eye-opener!

What people are able to accomplish in the various mediums is mind-blowing.

Godzoned
12-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the links to your WIP's all in the acrylic classroom (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232976&page=2) I am learning heaps by looking at them all one after the other. :clap:

LarrySeiler
12-06-2004, 07:02 PM
doin' a nice service for folks here, Marty...showing these and the steps! Good on ya!!!

:clap:

Larry

Pasadenabrush
07-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi Marty C. Being a newbie I am just absorbed with these threads. Such talent, hard work and knowledge. Since stumbling on these sites I have been in front of my computer every extra moment I have. I just finished watching and reading your golden rose and now your waves and rocks. I would have really liked to know how you made the rocks come together so well, as well as the waves. I'm beginning to understand a little more about washes, underpainting and tones, or tonal value. Thank you so much for your information and lessons on these two, as I move on to another of yours.
May I ask about purchasing the paints you spoke of. I haven't heard of Atelier or JoSonya, and had thought DiVinci were the best paints of acrylic and oils. I am in a small town and usually depend on ordering. Could you give me some info on the best catalogs or websites to order from.
Pasadenabrush

Andun
07-22-2007, 06:48 AM
I am giving my merit points to you again Marty for this wonderful WIP.Man...I'm telling you...I learn more from watching you than from any book.Please keep on giving us all this talent of yours.

Marty C
07-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, well, it's surprising the threads which surface now and again! This is from a few years ago, and I no longer work in acrylics. I'm an oil convert, but acrylic is still an excellent medium. Atelia are now called Atelier Interactive, an acrylic capable of being kept open and workable for extended periods by misting the paint.
I wouldn't be able to recommend a supplier for you Pasadenabrush, as you are in the US, and I'm in Australia, so I don't have any knowledge of your local, state or even National suppliers.
This page from the Chroma website allows you to search for stockists: http://www.chromaonline.com/chroma/stockists
We also have a product review section on Wet Canvas: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Products/censura.php?cmd=browse&category_id=237
This will allow you to research a number of acrylic paints, and you may find one suitable which a local supplier my stock.

buddingartist
07-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Marty congrats.

Simply beautiful and thank you again for sharing.

I am particularly impressed with what you have achieved with acrylics after working with oil for a while. I started with oil and now struggling with oil more particularly the blending and achieving the translucency.

Would you share how you do your washes in acrylic, more particularly,

do you use any medium or just water?
and what proportion of water/medium to paint do you use?
do you wet your brush with whatever medium? or
mix the paint into your medium on your palette?

Thank you again and good luck

Stardreamer
07-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Impressive as always Marty... Impressive. I jus think it needs a shark shadow in that wave. ;) You know, a lil white guppy. ;)

Marty C
07-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks, Michael!
Hi Buddingartist. I haven't used acrylics for a couple of years now. I only ever used water with acrylics. I did buy some medium, and the bottle is still unopened!
I used to dip the brush in water, and run it over the edge of the container, then load the brush with paint. This left the brush wet, but not saturated, and allowed me to work the paint without thinning it excessively. The key with acrylics is speed, and using the biggest brush you can. You don't want so much water or medium that the binder is broken in the paint, as this will result in a weak paint film. I imagine the new Interactive will solve many of the past acrylic blending problems.

buddingartist
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Tks a lot Marty.

Will give this a try. You truly are an inspiration

swampborn
07-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Marty,
I have this saved to my favorites so that I can really study it. I'm a slow learner. Fantastic WIP! Thanks for doing it. I paint with acrylics but this still has a lot of helpful info for me.
Gail

Marty C
07-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi Gail,
Then this should be perfect for you, as this WIP was done with Acrylics.
I have done other more recent grisaille WIPS, but they are with oils, and none were seascapes. I tend to direct paint seascapes, and do grisaille or verdaccio with still life and portraits.

Andun
07-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Ever consider doing a book Marty of WIPs? I think it would be a hit.I know I'd buy it:)

Marty C
07-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Never thought about it, Tony. Do you reckon I could give JK Rowling a run for best seller? :lol:

stoney
07-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Never thought about it, Tony. Do you reckon I could give JK Rowling a run for best seller? :lol:

And she's got one heck of a head start!