PDA

View Full Version : trees in the park

RuthT
09-10-2001, 03:16 PM
Probably about 10"x7" Water color and yellow-brown ink pen.

Posted this in the trees project and water color forum. Not sure that it counts as a p&i because p&i is a small part of it; but since it is an integral part I thought my fellow pen and inkers might be interested.

Done a few years back and given to my niece so had to take image from an old photograph.

Christie
09-10-2001, 11:36 PM
I like this. It reminds me of autumn in Ottawa!

RuthT
09-11-2001, 08:31 AM
Thank you Christie :)

My reference source was a painting by my teacher.
The original was painted in a small neighborhood park in Toronto and included one of her friends sitting on a bench among the trees. I wanted to learn from the way she painted her trees, and her use of the pen.

artdude
09-13-2001, 04:03 PM
:clap: Very nice colored ink and watercolor work Ruth :clap: An overall good composition. Wish I could see tell what colors you used and where you used them :confused: It's tough being a colorblind artisit :eek:

RuthT
09-14-2001, 03:04 PM
Thank you for your encouraging comments Artdude :)

The ink work is up the sides of the two main trees and on up into their branches, a couple of lines on the bark, and on the little trees in the background right. All of which you can probably tell. The very dark parts are in dark gray watercolor.

It must be difficult at times not to see colors - can you see any colour at all?

When I am looking at a subject to work on, the first things I notice are the lines and the 'motion', which is why I thought I'd try pen and ink. I think I am attempting the wrong subjects; I'm going to try something with lines and leave the shading aspects until I get a bit better.

Your answer to chickadee came just at the right time. I'd planned to go to Loomis and Toles today the get some paints and some pens and ink. Got a .25 and .5 as you advised - all I have to do now is start using them :D :D

artdude
09-14-2001, 07:05 PM
Hi Ruth :) Thanks for the walk-thru on your tree composition.
My color blindness is kind of unique. I can see some colors, but my mind can't regisiter what they are. In other words I can't put a name to most colors. The most common color problems are: greens and greys, reds and browns, blues and purples and a few other combinations. It's very confusing :confused:
Glad to hear you bought some new pens. Line work for now will get you used to controling the pen. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Take care :)