PDA

View Full Version : StillLife with the pearls

Kathleen-kat
09-10-2001, 03:19 PM
Hello, my name is Katherina. I'm from Russia, unfortunately my english is not very well, but I like this site very much.
I want to show you one of my still lifes, it was made with oil and has the size 45-52 cm
I would like to know the unbiassed opinion about my work.
Thanx. :)

Victor
09-10-2001, 03:44 PM
Yes, I like this one very much. The fan looks stiff as it should be. perhaps a few more shadows reflected onto it from the objects in front but overall a good painting.

Victor....:)

Sylvielu
09-10-2001, 04:04 PM
Your work is wonderful! I love the draped background and the perfume bottle. It reminds me of Poeme by Lancome.

Kathleen-kat
09-10-2001, 04:05 PM
I'm agree with you Victor, but the digital camera wasn't professional and because of this the quality of painting was lost.

henrik
09-10-2001, 06:35 PM
You have something good going there. I realize that the quality of the picture is not the best (there is sort of a milky feel to all that blue) so what I have to say may not apply in real life.

You have a fine composition, and I think you did a very good job on several of the details like the fan, brass on perfume bottle, the pearls to mention a few thing. I also like the way the patterns in the background pattern acts like a counterpoint to the patterns in the orange fabric and that both are releated to the pattern in the foreground pink.

Still I felt there was room for improvement...

My next reaction was that there was something odd going on between the background and foreground; there are about equal parts blue and orange and the division is sort of along the middle. Blue and orange are complimentary and this amplifies a flip/flop tendency between foreground and background. The background and foreground almost looks like they are from two different paintings as colors do not unite. There are some high contrast in the background (blue highlights on the fabric) that makes it come forward and as this amplifies the patterns in the folds it starts to compete with the patterns/folds on the orange fabric.
From the photo there seems to be a lack of contrast in the foreground - making the objects look somewhat flat.

So, I played around with your image (I hope you don't mind) to show what some changes would look like.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2001/stillife-hl2.jpg
Basically what I did was to increase the contrast in the foreground objects. I also worked on the shadows - look at the fan, and the pearls. I made the background much darker (maybe this is more true to the original?), and I also blurred it to sop the competition with the orange fabric. This pushed it back. As a final touch I made the blue a tad warmer (i.e. more purple) to make it harmonize better with the warm colors in the foreground. I also brought some of the foreground pink up on the left side, as well as adding a hint of background blue into the darker areas in the pink foreground.

An area that could receive some additional work is where the orange fabric and vase interact - their relationship could be established a bit better by working on the shadows (i.e. is the fabric in front of or beside the vase?).

dornberg
09-10-2001, 09:45 PM
i like the color relation

Kathleen-kat
09-11-2001, 12:53 AM
Thank you henrik for your comments, I take your point of view and it opens me another part of my painting, but I should say that the real composition was such alight by sunshine that the shadows was practicaly absent.

P.S.: Sorry for my english, it's not my nature language.:)