PDA

View Full Version : water-soluble pastels?

DuncanBerenice
09-10-2001, 12:32 PM
I recently bought my wife a book on using water-soluble pencils, and the author has mentioned water-soluble pastels. Has anyone heard of these, as I haven't, and if so where can I find them in the UK please

many thanks

Duncan

4vincent
09-11-2001, 07:16 AM
I haven't really heard the term "water-soluble", as far as as a marketed product for pastels, but they have been used with water, alchohol, and/or turpentine to make preliminary washes for blocking in. Of course, this can cause buckling of paper supports; I prefer alchohol or turps since they dry faster. Ken

lismith
09-11-2001, 09:32 AM
I'm probably not qualified to answer this since I only started with pastels myself and still learning... but I *think* that any 'soft' pastel would be water-soluble, and of course oil pastel would not be.

DuncanBerenice
09-13-2001, 04:45 PM
thanks ken and lismith

I never thought that you could use pastels like that, maybe I'll try that when I start doing pastels

Duncan

crazi4art
09-14-2001, 05:03 PM
hey,
i can help you. i have used a cheap brand of water soluble. they are really soft and easy to use. you can use them be their self or you can dip them in water them use them or you can do your picture and go over some parts with water on a paint brush. they are really cool and fun to use. it is really easy to blend colors with them and they are so soft! i like them. i haven't done much work with them but i like to use them everyonce in a while. i hope this helps you and if you have any more questions i will TRY to answer them. bye,
shivani

DuncanBerenice
09-14-2001, 05:09 PM
thanks shivani

very much apprieciated thanks, I'll look for some next time I go shopping

Duncan

crazi4art
09-14-2001, 08:22 PM
sure no prob. i have to say that they are fun to use when you just want to do something but you don't know what. i enjoy playing around with them and making the paper have different effects! have fun,
shivani

Bobbie
10-02-2001, 02:04 AM
It's my understanding that all pastels - not oil, of course - are water soluble. You can do so many lovely things with pastels AND with an underpainting of almost any medium your heart desires. I've used watercolor, guache, & acrylic - so far. They add a little something extra to your painting - with any of these techniques you must be sure to use paper that can take water without buckling - Canson paper can not be used unless you use only the very slightest bit of water or it will just wrinkle and crumple up.

DuncanBerenice
10-02-2001, 03:53 PM
thanks bobbie,

it looks like i'll have to put on my creative head lol and get going with experiments, think i'll study my wife's home study course in painting and then get cracking and get some painting and drawing done.

Duncan