PDA

View Full Version : Scratch board question??

kptad2
05-01-2004, 12:22 AM
hi i wasnt sure if this is the place to post this but ill give it a go ..
ok i recently bought a already printed scratchboard thingy.. sort of like paint by number.. anyway i was wondering if you can do this technique on differnt surfaces other than clayboard?? and pretty much get the same affect as if you did you use the board?

myorca
05-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Hi KP,

I imagine that you could do some scratchboard techniques on other surfaces however those surfaces would not be as good as what claybord provides. I believe you would run into problems with chipping, peeling and not getting a good quality scratch into the surface depending on what you used to create the board/surface.

I exclusively use claybord because I love the feel and the outcome of the product. (wish I got paid for saying this stuff!!!) :)

Bob

kptad2
05-01-2004, 11:40 AM
hey thanks for the answer.. i thought i would post up here adn see what kind of answers i got .. i think i wil play it safe with the boards but im gonna venture into trying other surfaces .. juts to see what i come out with .. .. :D :D curiosity is getting the better of me here .. :D

sassybird
05-01-2004, 06:52 PM
I used to do scratchboard on bristol that I painted myself. It was always difficult to keep from bending and cracking the ink. A few months back a friend told me about the clay board. I have seen some amazing work done on them, so I bought a few. I have yet to try them, but I respect the opinions of scratchboard artists here on WC! I would go with the clay board if I were you:)

kptad2
05-04-2004, 10:19 AM
ok what do you guys think about foam boards? is that pretty close to clay as i can get until i can get some clay?

myorca
05-04-2004, 12:18 PM
You are thinking about scratching on foamboard? I dont think that is a good idea as you will probably end up puncturing the surface as you scratch. There is a ton of "give" to foamboard.

What is it exactly you are looking to do? Just plain scratchboard work? If you are just going to do scratchboard, I would stick to using claybord. A few others here I believe may use Esdee scratchboards which are not masonite but a paper product, but for me personally there is nothing out there like claybord.
Bob

kptad2
05-04-2004, 12:26 PM
ok had to ask .. just was wondering if there as any other alternatives to clay board for scratching .. thanks for all the imput on this subject i really apprieciate it .. kim

myorca
05-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi Kim,

Do a search on scratchboard on any search engine. There will be a TON of different manufacturers from "Scratch-art" brand to Esdee Scratchboards. There are others besides Claybord.

Bob

kptad2
05-04-2004, 05:54 PM
hey bob , im so lovin your work, your site the whole sha bang... i will definetly spend $$ on the good stuff .. i love this place i always such good advice and suggestion.. thanks for pretty much walking through my questions.. my next post will be of the pre printed tiger and her cubs.. i also thinkl these animals and all of them are in danger of being loss to us and they are so captivating to me .. their beauty , and even how dangerous they can but that is how they are .!! :clap: i really enjoy your bio. thanks again ..... kim :angel: