PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush Painting - Twilight 48" x 60"

ADCook
04-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Okay, so I'm new at this posting thing. I think this is actually a first for me, but here goes. (I'm a new member too).

The attached image is from my most recent painting titled Twilight. It's an airbrush painting on canvas measuring 48" x 60". It's somewhat representational of the new series of paintings I've been working on. Just thought I'd share it with the artists of WetCanvas. I'll post more as they're completed.

Thanks for letting me share.

hinddee29
04-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Hello and welcome here. You have some outstanding paintings.
Really love this one. This is the type of painting I want to do.
I came draw them just need to learn how to airbrush them.
How long did this take?

Shane

ADCook
04-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Shane,

Thanks for the kudos. Twilight took about a long week to paint. I didn't keep track of time, but I'd guess about 60 hours or so.

We teach airbrush workshops at my studio in Portland, Oregon if you're ever interested in attending.

Maryl Lehman
04-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi A.D.! Welcome to this forum! Your painting is beautiful and very well done (I just hope my boys aren't looking over my shoulder!! ha). I haven't checked out your website yet but I can imagine it's awesome! What kind of paints do you use, may I ask?

~Maryl

Maryl Lehman
04-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Hi again A.D.! I just realized where I saw your name before! Just yesterday I read your article on "Creating the Perfect Ultra-Smooth Canvas for Airbrush"---I loved it (and also printed it out for future reference!), but it sure seems time consuming. I'm sure it would be worth it in the end though. One of these days I'll have to try it.

P.S. Do you want to be called "A.D." or A.D.Cook, or by something else? Just don't want to call you anything you don't like!

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Hello and welcome to WC!. Nice painting. Can you share the process of its creation with us? I viewed your website and it looks as if you have a lot of airbrushing years under your belt! I just started trying portraits and so I am interested in how other airbrushers do portraits, specifically color ones.

Thanks,
Tim

Caterwallin'
05-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Hey AD, welcome and glad to see you here!
I love this painting! As Maryl asked, I too would like to know what name brand paint/pigments you used for this painting? I know your an Iwata fan, but which one do you prefer? What support do you prefer painting on?

Enough for now!

Sam

HF AIRBRUSH
05-01-2004, 02:51 AM
hey AD,
welcome on the forum....the painting looks great...nice job

henk

ADCook
05-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll see if I can answer the questions posted above.

Twilight is painted with Createx and Com-Art paints on prepared canvas. I have an article posted on my web site at http://www.adcookfineart.com/aa-article-canvasprep.html on the canvas prep. It doesn't take that long really to prep canvas that way, and the results are worthwhile.

She's painted with only three colors; blue, lt. blue and dark blue.

As far as airbrushes go, I primarily use an Iwata HP-C and a Micron C Plus. That's all that was used to create Twilight anyway. I use an HP-BC for larger work, and RG-2 for mural backgrounds.

I'm doing a series of paintings right now like Twilight and I'll write a step-by-step and post it soon.

I just go by A.D.

hinddee29
05-01-2004, 03:40 PM
A.D.

That's great about the the wip's and I can't wait.

Shane

Milo
05-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Let me add my welcome too!

Its a beautiful piece, 3 colors thats great.

I had read you article recently and mad me understanding why my canvas didn't get quite so smooth thanks.

He didn't mention it but he has a nice ebook on chrome/reflections too there.

Milo

Penny220
05-04-2004, 06:24 AM
Welcome to wetcanvas AD. Great work.

When posting nudes be sure to use the "butt" icon. This flags the post so that everyone knows it's a nude before they open it. This way if the kids are standing over our shoulder while we're on-line we know to wait to open it.

can't wait to see more of your work.

keep sprayin'
Penny

ADCook
05-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Sorry, I'll make every attempt to be more aware of that in the future. I was new to the site when I posted Twilight and not yet familiar with the proper procedures. My apologies.

A.D.

Penny220
05-04-2004, 09:35 PM
No need to appologize. I had been away for a few days and I came back to the posts oldest to newest so that after informing you of the "butt" icon I noticed that you used it in your next post. Wet canvas is great because it is so big, so diverse and so liberal but all that comes at the price of being a bit overwhelming and confusing at first.