PDA

View Full Version : Master Of the Month #5 - May

Pages : [1] 2

Matt Sammekull
04-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi.

This month we dedicate to Raphael, and his painting of the three graces.

(The man himself:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2004/15549-raphhead.jpg

Raphael was an Italian Renaissance painter who is considered one of the greatest and most popular artists of all time.
He was born Raffaello Santi or Raffaello Sanzio in Urbino on April 6, 1483, and received his early training in art from his father, the painter Giovanni Santi. According to many art historians, he also studied with Timoteo Viti at Urbino, executing under his influence a number of works of miniaturelike delicacy and poetic atmosphere, including Apollo and Marsyas (Louvre, Paris) and The Knight's Dream (1501?, National Gallery, London). In 1499 he went to Perugia, in Umbria, and became a student and assistant of the painter Perugino. Raphael imitated his master closely; their paintings of this period are executed in styles so similar that art historians have found it difficult to determine which were painted by Raphael. Among Raphael's independent works executed at Perugia are two large-scale paintings, the celebrated Sposalizio, or Marriage of the Virgin (1504, Brera Gallery, Milan), and The Crucified Christ with the Virgin Mary, Saints and Angels (1503?, National Gallery, London).

Florentine Period

In 1504 Raphael moved to Florence, where he studied the work of such established painters of the time as Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Fra Bartolommeo, learning their methods of representing the play of light and shade, anatomy, and dramatic action. At this time he made a transition from the typical style of the Umbrian school, with its emphasis on perspective and rigidly geometrical composition, to a more animated, informal manner of painting. His development during his Florentine period can best be traced in his numerous Madonnas. The earliest example, still Umbrian in inspiration, is the Madonna del Granduca (1504-1505, Pitti Palace, Florence). Later examples, showing the influence of Leonardo in serenity of expression and composition, include the well-known La Belle Jardinière (1507-1508, Musée du Louvre) and the Madonna of the Goldfinch (1505, Galleria degli Uffizi Gallery, Florence). The last of his Madonnas executed at Florence, the Madonna del Baldacchino (1508, Pitti Palace), a monumental altarpiece, is similar in style to the work of Fra Bartolommeo. Raphael's most important commissions during his stay in Florence came from Umbria. His most original composition of this period is the Entombment of Christ (1507, Borghese Gallery, Rome), an altarpiece that nevertheless shows the strong influence of Michelangelo in the postures and anatomical development of the figures.

Roman Period

In 1508 Raphael was called to Rome by Pope Julius II and commissioned to execute frescoes in four small stanze, or rooms, of the Vatican Palace. The walls of the first room, the Stanza della Segnatura (1509-1511), are decorated with scenes elaborating ideas suggested by personifications of Theology, Philosophy, Poetry, and Justice, which appear on the ceiling. On the wall under Theology is the Disputà, representing a group discussing the mystery of the Trinity. The famous School of Athens, on the wall beneath Philosophy, portrays an open architectural space in which Plato, Aristotle, and other ancient philosophers are engaged in discourse. On the wall under Poetry is the celebrated Parnassus, in which the Greek god Apollo appears surrounded by the Muses and the great poets. The second Vatican chamber, the Stanza d'Eliodoro (1512-1514), painted with the aid of Raphael's assistants, contains scenes representing the triumph of the Roman Catholic church over its enemies.

After the death of Pope Julius II in 1513, and the accession of Leo X, Raphael's influence and responsibilities increased. He was made chief architect of Saint Peter's Basilica in 1514, and a year later was appointed director of all the excavations of antiquities in and near Rome. Because of his many activities, only part of the third room of the Vatican Palace, the Stanza del Incendio (1514-1517), was painted by him, and he merely provided the designs for the fourth chamber, the Sala Constantina. During this period he also designed ten tapestries illustrating the acts of Christ's apostles for the Sistine Chapel; the cartoons, or drawings, for these are now in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Raphael also devised the architecture and decorations of the Chigi Chapel in the Church of Santa Maria del Popolo and the decorations of the Villa Farnesina, which include the Triumph of Galatea (1513?).

In addition to these major undertakings, he executed a number of easel paintings, including a Portrait of Julius II (1511-1512), a series of Madonnas, and the world-famous Sistine Madonna (1514?, Gemäldegalerie, Dresden). Other religious paintings during this period include The Transfiguration (1517-1520, Vatican), completed posthumously by the most notable of Raphael's many followers, Giulio Romano. Raphael died in Rome on his 37th birthday, April 6, 1520.

The three graces:
Oil on panel, c.1503-1504. 17x17 cm ( about 7x7")
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2004/15549-raphael_three_graces.jpg

Click here for Hi-res image (http://www.jemawi.com/mom.htm)

The three graces, In Greek mythology, the three goddesses of joy, charm, and beauty. The daughters of the god Zeus and the nymph Eurynome, they were named Aglaia (Splendor), Euphrosyne (Mirth), and Thalia (Good Cheer). The Graces presided over banquets, dances, and all other pleasurable social events, and brought joy and goodwill to both gods and mortals. They were the special attendants of the divinities of love, Aphrodite and Eros, and together with companions, the Muses, they sang to the gods on Mount Olympus, and danced to beautiful music that the god Apollo made upon his lyre. In some legends Aglaia was wed to Hephaestus, the craftsman among the gods. Their marriage explains the traditional association of the Graces with the arts; like the Muses, they were believed to endow artists and poets with the ability to create beautiful works of art. The Graces were rarely treated as individuals, but always together as a kind of triple embodiment of grace and beauty. In art they are usually represented as lithe young maidens, dancing in a circle.

Now how did he paint this one? Well the flavor of that time was verdaccios...In the background we can see traces of something that could be a verdaccio... but it looks like he painted his shadows (in the skin) opaquely, and not transparent, (as in glazing over the verdaccio).

Suggested palette:

- A white of your choice
- Yellow ochre
- Terre Verte or Chromium Oxide green (if you're going for a verdaccio)
- Transparent Oxide red
- Venetian red
- Ultramarine blue
- Ivory black

That ought to do.. at least close enough.

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(The biographical text above, was taken from MS Encarta.)

//Matt

Rosic
05-01-2004, 06:14 AM
:clap: I get to kill two birds with one stone this month. The Three Graces are gracing the Figure Forum with their presence in the May Figure Challenge. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185885) Be sure to include your WIP's over there too... you'll meet some great people (if you haven't already) who will appreciate it.
Bern

bjs0704
05-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks Matt! This looks like it is going to be a good one. What fun!

Barb Solomon :cat:

dcorc
05-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Not wanting to hang about! - here's my first contribution this month! :p

17.8cm (7ins square) hardboard, acrylic "gesso" primed - very faint 2H pencil sketch for placements, followed by starting to block in, using burnt umber, french ultramarine, and titanium white - with a little mineral spirit to slacken the paint off slightly. Soft synthetic brushes (just like Raphael's :p ) - "proarte acrylix" (similar to W&N synthetic mongoose)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2004/30792-3graces1.jpg

Dave

guillot
05-01-2004, 09:07 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave - great start already.

Hi Bernie - Thanks for the link :D Could definitely get two birds with one stone ;)

I've only sketched mine on canvas (w/sanguine) for placement. Chose an oval canvas, 16x20. I'm hoping that this one will push me back into the swing of things. :) I haven't been able to accomplish anything since the Friedrich. [I](Just going through one of those terrible artistic stages........some call "creative block"....... or maybe the desire to paint but the lack of motivation.... ) So maybe this one will give me the push I need. I've been waiting for this one :)

Anyway, here is my rough sketch. I'll spray over this with a light coat of retouch and proceed. Don't know if I'm going to do the verdaccio, but am definitely intrigued by that thought. This one didn't strike me as a painting done with verdaccio's. So, Matt you say veulturas instead of transparent, is that only in the shadows?

This one will be fun :D

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2004/5957-beginning1_outside1.jpg

Rosic
05-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Dang Dave... you sure hit the ground running! You started something... look at my avatar.
Bern

dcorc
05-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks Tina, Bernie!

Tina - good that you're getting back in the swing of things a bit - as you see , I'm going for it directly rather than with a verdaccio, so i'll be very interested to see the results for those who do that (presumably Matt might, since he's mentioned it in the first place?)

Bernie - I notice your avatar and Artbars' - I just hope we don't succeed in making 70's hairstyles fashionable again! :eek:

Dave

Mariska31
05-01-2004, 10:18 AM
ha ha dcorc :) (haristyle)
Welcome to the United States ;) :p :)!!!!

Rosic
05-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Tina... we must have been posting at the same time. Yours is off to a great start too... boy this one works well in an oval comp.
B..

Rosic
05-01-2004, 12:48 PM
What size are you guys doing this one in?

I was thinking 14"x14".

artbabe21
05-01-2004, 01:46 PM
WOW! Looks like a great MOM!! Three is my lucky number & I love nudes!Once I free up some time after finishing my Monet gradens paintings for the MIA show, just a local one, but my first....I'll be here!!

Terrific starts everyone!! Matt thanks for providing all the background...you're so kind to do that for us each month!! Where's Gavin btw?????????????? I miss him! ;)

Well.....looks like we're going back in time here w/all the avitar changes! Everytime I see yours Dave I just crack up.....James Dean!! Bernie yours is adorable you little Beatle boy!! :)

dcorc
05-01-2004, 01:47 PM
What size are you guys doing this one in?

I was thinking 14"x14".

I'm doing it actual size 17x17cm, on 17.8x17.8cm (7ins square) hardboard.

I think the biggest challenge of this one is that it is, to all intents and purposes, a miniature.

Dave

Matt Sammekull
05-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi all!

This month looks to be a good one... some of you already off and away!
I'll catch up with you... you'll see...

By the way... this was me back in 1971:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2004/15549-sperm-abstract.gif

:)

//Matt

dcorc
05-01-2004, 01:55 PM
WOW! Looks like a great MOM!! Three is my lucky number & I love nudes!Once I free up some time after finishing my Monet gradens paintings for the MIA show, just a local one, but my first....I'll be here!!

Terrific starts everyone!! Matt thanks for providing all the background...you're so kind to do that for us each month!! Where's Gavin btw?????????????? I miss him! ;)

Well.....looks like we're going back in time here w/all the avitar changes! Everytime I see yours Dave I just crack up.....James Dean!! Bernie yours is adorable you little Beatle boy!! :)

Hi Cathleen - pretty little girl there.

Gavin's going to have to find a picture of an unfertilized ovum for his 1974 avatar :p :D :p :D (as he was born in '77) (Matt - didn't see - you just beat me to it! :p )

:D Dave

dcorc
05-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Stage 2 of my pseudo-Raphael:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2004/30792-3graces2.jpg

Gone back over the background with ultramarine, white, and burnt umber, and started to put in the figures with white, yellow ochre, indian red, and burnt umber.

I wonder whether the original had some fugitive pigments such as greens which have faded with time?

Dave

guillot
05-03-2004, 08:32 AM
I wonder whether the original had some fugitive pigments such as greens which have faded with time?

Dave

Don't know Dave, good question. Way to go! Coming along great.

Alas, - mine still sits as it does above :(

Tina

Biki
05-03-2004, 05:37 PM
I might play too this month :rolleyes:
Feel a bit nervous about playing with the big boys tho. :o

Need to go out & buy a square canvas yet & get it gessoed right, so it might take me a week to get started.

In the meatime, I am watching. :D

Looks to me like an ochre palette - what do you think.?

Rosic
05-03-2004, 05:47 PM

Don't feel intimidated Biki... I'm 5'7'' and wear a size 8 shoe. ;)...
besides... I am still a baby at oils. :D
Bern

Punkjazz
05-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Dave, it looks like you en route for another success! :) Great start, man!

Tina, this looks like a great start! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

This may be a MOM that I'll have to take on outside of May. I'd love to give 'er a try, but I already have 3 WIPs right now and will be out of town through most of May. I'll continue watching with anticipation and will catch up with you all in June.

Take care,

dcorc
05-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Matt - belatedly, thank you for putting together the intro! Very informative.

Bernie - good idea to have this in the figure forum too - I'll be interested to see if people have a go in other media - this one would be well-suited to acrylics, or coloured pencils, I think.

Barb - joining in?

Tina - they do fit very well into the oval - sanguine seems like a good place to start with this one.

Cathleen - hope you get to join us in having a go this month

Biki - Bernie's 5' 7" - and I'm an inch shorter than that - so don't be too intimidated :D - Matt suggested a palette, and I tend to list the colours I'm using in each posting - this one's some earths, white, and ultramarine, for me.

PJ - thanks, shame you can't have a go now - but do it later, ok? !

I'm doing this one with layers of paint thinned just a little with mineral spirits. If you do it actual size, make sure the surface is pretty smooth and flat, I'd suggest - no point in trying to battle against the texture of a canvas weave on this small scale. Nothing much to show at the moment, I'll probably post an update tomorrow.

Dave

bjs0704
05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Dave- Looks pretty good! I can't wait to see how it turns out! :clap:

Tina - The oval format is a really good idea! You have made a great start. :clap:

Biki - It is good to see you! I hope you will join in!

Punkjazz - Thanks for stopping by and giving us some encouragement.

I am sketching mine out with charcoal on a 16" x 20" canvasboard panel. Next, I will go over these lines with oil paint. When I have everything blocked in I will post it.

WV.Artistry
05-03-2004, 10:26 PM

Looks to me like an ochre palette - what do you think.?

Tricia -- you're ready for this (maybe beyond it). The hands with the drapery is a real leap forward for you.

One of my favorite Raphael pieces is "La Donna Velata", painted in 1514. I personally think somewhere in or just prior to 1514, he had a breakthrough -- evident in his quantum leap in cloth, hair, and flesh techniques. It makes me wonder if he came across somebody's technique that floored him, or just had a happy accident.

"The Three Graces" was painted in approximately 1504.

I don't know about the ochre question (but that's skewed because I've never I've never like ochre -- it's terrible to eat.. slimy, argh!! bleck!!) I think he relied heavily on shades of raw umber and raw sienna in many of his oil works.

Richard

guillot
05-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Wow, what a lovely painting *sigh*

Thanks Punkjazz, Dave and Barb !! I'm hoping to get back to it this next weekend. Maybe sometime this week if I'm lucky.

Bernie :D you guys have had me scrounging for a picture ...... one particular in mind, I believe around the 3rd-4th grade ......... you know, around the time you start loosing baby teeth, LOL - LIKE ALL THE FRONT ONES. But, the only childhood picture I believe I have of myself is the one in my tinyhead. I'll have to call my mother now to send me some of my old pictures :evil:

I used to have a crush on a little boy with a haircut like that :p

Dave - you do look so "james dean" :)

Matt - tooooooooo funny !! :D Which came first? the sperm or the egg? :confused:

Tina

Biki
05-04-2004, 02:52 AM
Tricia -- you're ready for this (maybe beyond it). The hands with the drapery is a real leap forward for you.

One of my favorite Raphael pieces is "La Donna Velata", painted in 1514. I personally think somewhere in or just prior to 1514, he had a breakthrough -- evident in his quantum leap in cloth, hair, and flesh techniques. It makes me wonder if he came across somebody's technique that floored him, or just had a happy accident.

"The Three Graces" was painted in approximately 1504.

I don't know about the ochre question (but that's skewed because I've never I've never like ochre -- it's terrible to eat.. slimy, argh!! bleck!!) I think he relied heavily on shades of raw umber and raw sienna in many of his oil works.

Richard

ooooh my - how beautiful is that painting.!!
I am glad we are not trying to copy that one.

thanks for the encouragement Richard, much appreciated.
I am gessoing my board as we speak ( or rather it is drying) I couldn't get a square in this little town, so am going 20" x 24" - I guess I will just give it more sky.?
There is no way known I could paint so small - I will leave that challenge to the like of Mr Cool 1974. :D

I am going to work out my dimensions by a drawing tonight.
Sheesh. I hope I don't muck up my gessoing again tho. Just a light sand, every second coat - with 100grid - right.? I am trying again for a smooth surface as Dave suggested. :rolleyes: :confused: :o :crying: :D

DLGardner
05-04-2004, 10:23 AM
This is going to be a great project this month! Unfortunately I still can't participate, still in transition from my house to another that we haven't found yet...but I still have my computer hooked up and I'll be following you folks. Maybe through this I'll learn the ins and outs of verdacco (is that the right spelling?)

Good job so far everyone!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Dianne

WV.Artistry
05-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Dianne,

At the risk of being beheaded, I'm going to criticize a Raffaello Sanzio painting.

I'm not so sure this is a good example for underpainting. Other than the "orbs", it appears to be a rough charcoal sketch (embedded in the background paint) with loads and loads of glaze. But it's definitely a good practice for "classical academic" compositions.

Since there's mixed company, I can't comment on the "white stuff" splattered on the left model's tummy and leg :) but I am making a note to have a cup of coffee before I post from now on.

Raphael, obviously had a problem with math re: female pubic bones. And I thought I painted lousy breasts -- yeesh!!

p.s. I really love your style and color approach. And I hope you do the June/July MOMs -- posting frequently so we can look over your shoulder.

Tricia, here's an alternative method of foundation (since I've survived the first beheading): Kids.. don't try this at home.

Gesso only one layer as smooth as possible, dry.. and on that layer, spread 100% acrylic "house" paint. The acrylic paint can be smoothed (sanded) LIGHTLY with a common dishpan scrubber. Done!

IMNRTST
05-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Nice work so far everyone :)
I decided to jump onboard as well. Here's the beginning of mine. Telling the difference between an earth tone and some mud has been my main difficulty so far :eek: I'm learning alot with this one.
I've got 2 layers on the background right now and i'm gonna keep adding layers till i get it right lol
Oil on gessoed massonite approx 11.5"X11"
See yas =)
Mike

Rosic
05-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Finally got to paint some today:D... a layer of burnt umber.
7"x7" on gessoed masonite.
Bern

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2004/17108-mommay1.JPG

dcorc
05-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Barb - good! I'll look forward to seeing your block-in.

Richard - It's love at first sight - why am I so attracted to unobtainable (or mad) women? :p Only five hundred years separates us - I suppose I could go get her, with a spade :eek: , but she probably has lost her looks by now :crying: ) I'll have to make do by painting her: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186771 shows the start, though my version of her makes her look like she's been mud-wrestling, at the moment.

I'd agree that the "Three Graces" isn't exactly the ultimate Raphael - but there's still plenty to challenge us, and which we can learn from, in it.

Tina - looking forward to your toothless avatar :D (As to being "James Dean", I don't think I've ever looked so cool before or since, as I did in that photo! :p )

Tricia - how's it going?

Dianne - sorry you're still in house-moving - is anybody going to do a vedacchio/verdacco/whatever? (green thing! :) )

Mike - welcome aboard! Looking good so far.

Bernie - going for it actual size! Good man! Also looking good.

Dave

Biki
05-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Barely started the drawing yet Dave. Pity some of us have to work for a living.!!
However, I have already noticed & learnt something already..... how beautifully the lines flow around & between the figures.
For that alone, I am glad to have joined in here.

WV.Artistry
05-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Bought a square canvas today..

Sorry if I sounded critical of this work. I probably just don't understand this piece at all.

Mind if I join in anyway?

Richard

dcorc
05-05-2004, 10:37 PM
Bought a square canvas today..

Sorry if I sounded critical of this work. I probably just don't understand this piece at all.

Mind if I join in anyway?

Richard

Of course join in! What size canvas?

Where's Matt got to?

Dave

artbabe21
05-05-2004, 11:43 PM
welcome Richard to the MOM project! This is a truly fun bunch and I am going to be playing catch up after my show this week end...:)

Matt who?? LOL... :angel:

Matt Sammekull
05-06-2004, 03:29 AM
Yeah... Matt who???

Easy does it... I'm here... and it's only the 6th or something right? Well, I have decided to paint this in the original small size anyhow.

Great starts around here!!!!!!!!!!!

//Matt

Biki
05-06-2004, 04:16 AM
Yeah... Matt who???

Easy does it... I'm here... and it's only the 6th or something right? Well, I have decided to paint this in the original small size anyhow.

Great starts around here!!!!!!!!!!!

//Matt

well I refuse to play unless you play with me, ok? :D
It is my first go & I need you ALL to hold my hand. :angel:
( don't want much do I - ha ha)

guillot
05-06-2004, 08:43 AM
We'll all be here for you Biki :)

Lot's of wonderful beginnings, and it's great to see new faces too. Welcome aboard to those newcomers !! :clap:

Tina

Rosic
05-06-2004, 08:46 AM
well I refuse to play unless you play with me, ok? :D
It is my first go & I need you ALL to hold my hand. :angel:
( don't want much do I - ha ha)
I'm sure they'll let go of mine long enough to hold yours too! ;)
Don't worry Biki... you are gonna do just fine!

A couple of questions for you guys...
How do you sign your finished copy works?
Is there a proper way that does not infringe copyright?

Bern

WV.Artistry
05-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks

Rough sketch with a lump of coal (I get one every year in a winter solace stocking from Saint Nicholas d/b/a Santa Claus).

I opted for 24x24 because I can't on earth see how I'm going to paint the neckless's anyway.. and there's tiny trees again, ugh! I'll have to paint some of this with a toothpick even at this size.

WV.Artistry
05-06-2004, 05:26 PM
refining sketch.. this will take a few days.

Biki
05-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Well, I made a timid start.
Didn't do the workshop after all this weekend - so played a little with this today instead.

Just to let you know I didn't pike out :D

I am not feeling very confident. What am I suposed to be learning here.?
So far, as I said before, I am noticing the beautiful lines of the figures & also enjoying the negative spaces. As far as technique goes, I wouldn't have a clue. :confused: :rolleyes:

guillot
05-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Dave - :D

Bernie - I write "study" on the back, and sign as usual.

r601........ great start. Kinda hard to see, a bit pixelated, but looks like a great effort you have going on.

Biki - Wonderful! Don't believe you'll need a hand holding :) Only you can decide what it is you have learned once you are finished with it. It may be minimal or it could be very enlightening - but it probably won't hit you until you have completed the painting. But, you will learn "something" from it I believe. Great start!!

Tina

Rosic
05-07-2004, 08:44 AM
r6... I like what I can see.

Biki... Looking great so far... don't worry... you'll do fine.

I'm waiting for mine to dry...
Don't know if I'm gonna paint wet-in-wet or use an underpainting and glaze.

What technique are you guys using?
I think Dave shared his already.
How about you Matt?

Rosic
05-07-2004, 11:56 AM
You guys have to checkout raphaël_eko's rendition of The Three Graces in the figure forum. :D

raphaël_eko's rendition (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2296421#post2296421)

WV.Artistry
05-07-2004, 03:27 PM
sorry about the image.

should be done refining the charcoal sketch by the weekend.

lump of coal
charcoal pencil
compressed white charcoal stick
red clay from France

Richard

dcorc
05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Biki - you may be timid about it, but the start looks fine - what's to learn in this one? - you'll find out when you start doing the skin on the figures! :evil:
(getting form, with smooth gradations of subtle skin tones, with a restricted palette!)

Richard - making good progress (as far as I can see - what are you using to image these?) - I'm very interested in your appoach here - you're intending to largely work it up as a drawing and then do some glazes? - as you suggested the original may be? (Which sounds very plausible to me, from the ref image)

Bernie - raphaël_eko's rendition - :D

Stage 3 of mine:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2004/30792-3graces3.jpg

Dave

bjs0704
05-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Richard - "La Donna Velata" is truly an incredible painting! Thanks for posting it!

Mike - Good start!

Rosic - I like the burnt umber underpainting! It looks great!

r601020 - Nice charcoal sketch. It is an interesting variation on the composition.

Tricia - I am glad to see that you have given this one a try. It is a really good start!

Dave C. - Your version is coming along beautifully.

Here is my start! I love the way the figures move in an S-curve. it does make them look livelier than they would otherwise. This is just a rough block-in.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2004/11410-Graces1.jpg

The background in this painting is really amazing. While I have made my guesses as to how Raphael went about painting it, I would love to hear someone elses ideas about how it was done. Here is a section:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2004/11410-Raphaelbackground.jpg

raphaël_eko
05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Raphael, obviously had a problem with math re: female pubic bones. And I thought I painted lousy breasts -- yeesh!!

r601020, I don't think this is a math issue - I think Raffy was much like many of our favorite renaissance artists... and simply not so interested in starring at fleshy boobs and hips all day. :eek: :D :evil:

BTW - everyone - it's looking good! I look forward to following your progress!!

WV.Artistry
05-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Richard - making good progress (as far as I can see - what are you using to image these?) - I'm very interested in your appoach here - you're intending to largely work it up as a drawing and then do some glazes? - as you suggested the original may be? (Which sounds very plausible to me, from the ref image)

Dave

Yeah.. layer in a two-directional glazing method: Yan to Yin, and then back again from the darkness to the light. After that, I'll touch-up and actually paint whatever is necessary.

I see you also put the sisters on a stair-master :)

This really is my first attempt to really draw anything besides a rough sketch. And I'm not too unpleased with the results. I've always detested my "lack of skill" in drawing.

After this.. I'm going to learn how to draw.

Anyway, all I've got is this cereal box detective/spy pencamera for a digital. But I will buy some film before I glaze to get a better resolution of the sketch.

Have a great weekend.

Richard

WV.Artistry
05-07-2004, 07:00 PM
r601020, I don't think this is a math issue - I think Raffy was much like many of our favorite renaissance artists... and simply not so interested in starring at fleshy boobs and hips all day. :eek: :D :evil:

BTW - everyone - it's looking good! I look forward to following your progress!!

I saw your sketch :)

Out of the mouth of babes.. my mother took one look at Raphael's graces, and said, "Those are boys".

<<shrug>>

Raphael may have painted lousy boobs because he had boobless models -- also known as males.

And I'll admit, since I've started studying this project, I've been sorely tempted to paint a penis on the third grace to balance her (hence, the pre-coffee comments of criticisim of mutant pubic bones).

She would look "right" with a penis.

I took them into photoshop, mucking with different views, because I thought grace #3 was sporting a cloaked woody. And she is with a squint.

The first grace, with her package underneath the loin cloth led me to this thought.. the natural deduction is: they are "edited" males.

But in my town.. attractive young nude males are not something that's going to be exhibited -- period! So these girls are going to have to stay girls for the moment.

R

raphaël_eko
05-07-2004, 08:03 PM
But in my town.. attractive young nude males are not something that's going to be exhibited -- period!

Boy, that sucks. Are you serious :confused: ? So much for equality... I guess my feelings on this subject belong in another thread. BTW - I think that they remain women is fine - I'm sure you will make them beautiful :) . and FYI in making them male, as I did, I made NO adjustments in their pelvic positioning - and the 'packaging' virtually happened by itself. So I agree with the boobless model theory. :)

ripper4
05-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Biki's bravery has inspired me to jump in head first.
Besides all work and no play makes Don a sad boy.... :crying:

I hope to catch up with you all!

Don

bjs0704
05-07-2004, 09:04 PM
We're rooting for you, Don!

I can't wait to see your work!

guillot
05-07-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm proud of my wall :D (er....or one of my walls)

Now - I have all this inspiration to get me going again.........

Of course - top and bottom far right - not master copies - my own.

But I'm looking forward to figuring out where I will place this oval :D :evil:

I'm workin on it guys.................

AH ------- and the unfinished Borgie ..........

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2004/5957-my_wall1.jpg

Biki
05-07-2004, 10:56 PM
It looks fabulous Tina. :clap: :clap:

and so you should be proud of your wall. :D

At the moment I am playing with their dear little faces. My, aren't they cute ( if a tiny bit funny looking :D those little double chins - ha ha )

I can see this is gonna take forever.!!

Rosic
05-07-2004, 11:26 PM
The Great Wall of Tina! :clap:

Don... glad to hear you can come out to play too! :p

Barb & Dave... Looking great!... as usual! :clap:

Biki... how's yours coming along?

Working some on mine tonight... getting rather frustrated though.
B...

Biki
05-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Me Moving slowly. :D

Everyone else? - show us your stuff.!!
I wanna see so I can learn from you. :confused:

TeAnne
05-08-2004, 02:41 AM
Very cool everyone.

We all know that I'm very much a rebel.
I have been inspired. Thanks Matt.
Mine will be in watercolour in my style.

Biki
05-08-2004, 02:47 AM
Very cool everyone.

We all know that I'm very much a rebel.
I have been inspired. Thanks Matt.
Mine will be in watercolour in my style.

Te Anne - you are adorable !! :D

I love it - big boobies & bottoms ! You delight me continually.!! :D :D :D

dcorc
05-08-2004, 03:29 AM
At the stage of starting to paint the faces, I'm beginning to wonder whether there's a mistake about the asserted size of this painting (17x17cm) - like the miniature Stonehenge set in the movie "Spinal Tap" :D

Here's the needle-pointed brush I'm using for facial features! :eek: (I always use my keyboards as an easel, especially when I'm doing washes in watercolour :D - actually, I thought I'd use it as a background to give a sense of scale).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2004/30792-mini1.jpg

Dave

Biki
05-08-2004, 03:35 AM
Honestly Dave, I don't know how you can do this so small.
I am finding the faces hard, and I went LARGE.!!
The eyeballs are just a little dot.!!

Tell us about that tricky little brush of yours.?
Brand/size ???

dcorc
05-08-2004, 04:29 AM
Honestly Dave, I don't know how you can do this so small.
I am finding the faces hard, and I went LARGE.!!
The eyeballs are just a little dot.!!

Tell us about that tricky little brush of yours.?
Brand/size ???

The brush is just a little cheapy modelmaker's brush, size 0 taklon

Dave

TeAnne
05-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Thank you biki :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3723076819

dcorc
05-08-2004, 07:00 AM
TeAnne - that's great! No doubt which gender they are! (are we allowed to say "sex"? - whoops, I said it :) )

:) Dave

TeAnne
05-08-2004, 07:50 AM
TeAnne - that's great! No doubt which gender they are! (are we allowed to say "sex"? - whoops, I said it :) )

:) Dave
:evil: Thanks Dave lol

I know of one person not seeing this one on ebay. I hope others do. I need to do some selling.

guillot
05-08-2004, 08:58 AM
The original size is just too small for me. I commend you Dave, and whomever is doing this in original size :D. I'm finding it difficult at a 16 x 20 oval - the faces are small.

I worked on it some last night and folks - I've just lost it :( I've lost my mojo. I'm forcing myself to do this painting, hoping that it will come back to me. I think I just have too much on my mind because I can't make a simple decision with this one.

I don't believe the verdaccio is the way to go either. I went over mine last night with a wash of burnt umber, some terre verte in the background hills, and commenced with a verdaccio on the far left figure. I don't believe my ending colors/values will come out as I wish with a verdaccio underpainting, but we'll see :)

I would show you guys an update - but I'm still quiet embarrassed with it at this point, LOL

What's wrong with me??????????

:angel:

Tina

DLGardner
05-08-2004, 09:52 AM
I am really amazed at all the wonderful work I see here! Biki, you are growing in leaps and bounds! I have got to get back to my easel and catch up. Alas, we have found a home and it has a big old barn/garage that is going to be my studio (upper section). I am soooo excited. Here is the photo. We move June 16. I expect to get a deck off the loft and some double glass doors. Its going to be so cool! Until then I'll only be browsing. Maybe I'll be able to make up this MOM once we move.

Love following this thread tho. TeAnne, this one is going to be great and I'll bet you get LOTS of bids on it!! Let us know the ebay url so we can follow it.

Dianne

TeAnne
05-08-2004, 09:56 AM

bjs0704
05-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Tina- Your wall looks so great!

Don’t give up yet! If you post it, maybe we would be able to give you some advice! But even if it is too embarrassing, don’t give up. It may just be going through an awkward stage, eventually it come together.

Biki - It’s going great! Keep up the good work!

TeAnne - Your ladies look wonderful! Good luck with Ebay!

Dave - I have always wondered whether or not I was the only person who resorted to the watercolor brushes for detail work. (My W&N #000 is sometimes just what I need!)

Barb Solomon:cat:

Rosic
05-08-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm doing this in 7"x7" format also... frustrating and I haven't even gotten to the faces yet. :rolleyes:

Dave... thanks for the detail shot.

Biki... yours is looking great... great skin tones... what colors did you use for them?

Te... I applaud you and your style... Perfect! :clap:

Dianne... I'm so happy for you and the new studio... looks like a peaceful place to work.

Tina... hang in there girl. ;)

IMNRTST
05-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Great job everyone. i love to see all the different styles.
Dave! your skin tones are amazing. u must teach me! :D
I'm struggling with mine right now....skin tones are much more difficult then i thought. So far my ladies are a a brownish/orange uck! I have to find something to add to this ochre palette. :evil:
Mike

Rosic
05-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Dave! your skin tones are amazing. u must teach me! :D
I'm struggling with mine right now....
Mike
Me too... share your palette with us Dave... please.
B...

guillot
05-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, finally here's an update - a little better than last night, but I just can't seem to get the middle ladies face right. Will try to refine when I go back with flesh tones.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone and for the comments on my wall. I just rearranged my studio the other day, cleaned through a bunch of stuff, and decided to hang my Master's Copies on one wall (except for those two far right ones) - pushing for some inspiration.

I'm struggling :( but I'm bound and determined to get over my block, speed bump, mountain, whatever you want to call it.

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2004/5957-laying_in_color1.jpg

Matt Sammekull
05-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi.

Tina, that format is just perfect for this painting. I wonder what Raphael would think?

You are all doing very well this month. It's so good to see such encouragement and interest in this thread. I think a thread such as this is one of the things that makes this forum so great. I'll never understand why "outsiders" (read: people that hang around in other forums) consider the oil forum to be for pro's only, with a strong elitist way of thinking. :confused:
You people are wonderful!

Anyway... due to lack of time I will paint only a portion of this.. one of the heads I figure.

//Matt the painter

Biki
05-08-2004, 01:55 PM
I am really amazed at all the wonderful work I see here! Biki, you are growing in leaps and bounds! I have got to get back to my easel and catch up. Alas, we have found a home and it has a big old barn/garage that is going to be my studio (upper section). I am soooo excited. Here is the photo. We move June 16. I expect to get a deck off the loft and some double glass doors. Its going to be so cool! Until then I'll only be browsing. Maybe I'll be able to make up this MOM once we move.

Love following this thread tho. TeAnne, this one is going to be great and I'll bet you get LOTS of bids on it!! Let us know the ebay url so we can follow it.

Dianne

Thanks Dianne.

I LOVE your barn. Congratulations on finding a new home.
We are house hunting too. I hope I can do half as well. :)

Biki
05-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Tina, why are you worried? I think yours looks fabulous.
Are you going to keep the red hair.? I like it. :)

Rosic - my skin palette is mainly just B Scienna underpainting at this stage.
But I have barely started in with my usual, which is:
Naples Yellow
Venetian Red
Aliz Crimson
Ultra Blue
B Scienna
White.

Yellow Ochre never works for me. Maybe it is my brand of paint.? It just seems to make mud.

I was thinking to of mixing my own with Cad Yellow & Purple & then just going in with a total Ochre Palette for the whole painting.

I still don't understand the verdaccio thing - don't even know what it means :rolleyes: ... or the effect that underpainting has on the finished painting. :confused:

dcorc
05-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by IMNRTST

Dave! your skin tones are amazing. u must teach me!
I'm struggling with mine right now....
Mike

Me too... share your palette with us Dave... please.
B...

Just to respond quickly to this, specifically - (back a little later with more comments generally) ! -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2004/30792-palette1.jpg

That's all I'm using here, in terms of paints:

Indian Red
Yellow Ochre
Burnt Umber
French Ultramarine Blue
Titanium white

plus some of my synthetic brushes - these are 3/8", 3/16" flats and #4 round.

The flesh tones I'm using are just various combinations of everything there - mainly white+indian red+yellow ochre, with more white+ochre in highlights, and with burnt umber, or burnt umber+ultramarine in shadow areas (BU+FUB gives good near-blacks, in this case keeping BU in excess so they stay to the brown side and don't go blue)

Dave

Rosic
05-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks a million Dave!

IMNRTST
05-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks a million Dave!

I second that ^
Mike

Biki
05-08-2004, 06:01 PM
I put the little lake at the back too high up - should I change it.?

I am really enjoying this. :D But the further in I go, the more tentative I get. :rolleyes:

Where is everybody else.?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2004/23158-9_may_-_1_-_SMALLER.jpg

TeAnne
05-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Well, finally here's an update - a little better than last night, but I just can't seem to get the middle ladies face right. Will try to refine when I go back with flesh tones.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone and for the comments on my wall. I just rearranged my studio the other day, cleaned through a bunch of stuff, and decided to hang my Master's Copies on one wall (except for those two far right ones) - pushing for some inspiration.

I'm struggling :( but I'm bound and determined to get over my block, speed bump, mountain, whatever you want to call it.

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2004/5957-laying_in_color1.jpg

I think this is awesome. The format is excellent, reminds me of a cameo :)

Biki, yours is wicked :D I think the comp is fine.

Thanks all for the great comments on mine :)

guillot
05-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks TeAnne - really like your interpretation. Very unique and so you at the same time. You're style is there.

Biki - great going!! Your painting is coming along beautifully!! There's nothing particular about the painting that's bothering my dear - it's my desire to paint. My motivation - is gone. I'm trying to get past the hump, and I feel so lost, emotionally - artistically. Even things that came simple to me before I'm finding difficult to do, and I just don't know what to do. A "verdaccio" underpainting, just like a grisaille, will affect the way your skin tones come out, because you are either applying velaturas or glazes over the underpainting - it makes a tremendous impact on the outcome of the skin tones, etc. Some people would prefer to just tackle it paint first - I love studying the nature of the values along the way - and it helps me to learn about color temperatures and transparent colors along the way as well. I've learned a lot from doing these MOM's!!! The reds in the hair will not remain so red, she has sort of a mixture of yellow ochre, white, and maybe burnt sienns going on in the hair, plus all three have fabulous beads wrapped around their heads, so no - can't remain red - that's the sanguine sketch showing through.

I can't wait to see everyone else's MOM Wall :) So far, I'm very proud of mine :D

Thank you Matt!!!!!! Raphael would probably be slapping me with his ghostly hand about now, across the back of the head, saying "can't you get it girl??" "what's wrong with you??" :D

But, anyways - here is an update - I'm doing my best to get into the groove :angel:

Also - forgot to say, I completely knocked out the middle one's face and will come back to try to correct the shape after this layer is dry. Has anyone else had such a problem with the middle one's profile?

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2004/5957-laying_in_color1A.jpg

dcorc
05-08-2004, 08:29 PM
I completely knocked out the middle one's face and will come back to try to correct the shape after this layer is dry. Has anyone else had such a problem with the middle one's profile?

Tiona -allow me to introduce..."The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" :p :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2004/30792-gbu.jpg

The middle one seems to have holoprosencephaly :( - like you, I'm repainting!

dave

WV.Artistry
05-09-2004, 12:48 AM
still working on my sketch. tuning the forms with minor adjustments.

from what I can tell by sketching this, is that these might not be anatomically correct poses. But I also have limited drawing abilities, so.. it might just be me.

I adjusted the middle Grace's neck and left muscle to more of a Bottecelli style, and it's less problematic.

here's other problems I'm tweaking (from left Grace #1 to right Grace #3):
#1 her right arm with orb -- forearm?
#1 her right thigh/knee position with regards to right shin/foot

#2 her left knee with regards to left foot

#3 her left arm with orb -- forearm?
#3 her right thigh, right knee with regards to right shin/foot

currently, my face of Grace #1 looks like a Byzantine icon, #2 an Erte girl, and my #3 Grace is quite the Vampyre.

beads in their hair? braids? buns? amulet? tiny trees? ugh!!

Richard

guillot
05-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Tiona -allow me to introduce..."The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" :p :D

The middle one seems to have holoprosencephaly :( - like you, I'm repainting!

dave

:D It totally amazes me as well that the original to this is so small. These are the smallest people I've ever painted and I'm having a hard time with it. Maybe the third one should only have hair and no profile :D

currently, my face of Grace #1 looks like a Byzantine icon, #2 an Erte girl, and my #3 Grace is quite the Vampyre.

beads in their hair? braids? buns? amulet? tiny trees? ugh!!

LOL Richard!!

Thanks you two - I know now that I'm not alone :angel:

Tina

dcorc
05-09-2004, 09:16 AM
"Tiona"? - sorry!! I'm going to go away and write out 100 lines "I must proof-read more carefully" :p

Dasve (!) :p

WV.Artistry
05-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks Dave,

I know now, that when death comes for me with sweet kisses in some future, she will be stayed a mile longer as I remember this moment. And even then, as I embrace enternity, it will be on my terms -- rolling on the floor laughing.

Salute'

:)

Rosic
05-09-2004, 04:47 PM
And Matt said in the bio they were often seen dancing in a circle...
now we know what they were really doing...
The Curly Shuffle!

ROTFLMAO! :D :D :clap:

dcorc
05-09-2004, 05:02 PM
:D :clap: :p

I've never been sure which of the "Three Stooges" were which - can we now refer to the three graces L-to-R as "Larry", "Curly", and "Mo" respectively, or is the order different?

Dave

dcorc
05-09-2004, 05:24 PM
I put the little lake at the back too high up - should I change it.?

I am really enjoying this. :D But the further in I go, the more tentative I get. :rolleyes:

Where is everybody else.?

Biki - As I said in PM, Tricia (that'll get them all gossiping! :evil: ) I think the exact position of the lake doesn't really matter that much here. I think your's is coming along nicely. I know the feeling about getting more and more tentative - I always get this with every painting, worried that I'm going to **** it up in the next session.

I've been wondering where everyone is all weekend, its been like being aboard the Marie Celeste most of the time :)

Tina - The painting's coming along well, and I also think that the oval works brilliantly with it.

I also know that "lack of motivation" feeling - for me, sometimes its important to just keep going, nonetheless, and one comes out of it eventually and feels better. Hopefully you are/will get there :)

How's everyone else doing? (also, please check out my burnt umber mud-wrestling Donna Velata :p and 3D-Dali threads :) )

Dave

Rosic
05-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Latest update WIP:
Worked on two of the figures. I'm finding it very frustrating to work this much detail in such a small size (and I haven't even started the faces yet). :mad:
Coming along slowly but surely...
Bernie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2004/17108-mommay2.JPG

Biki
05-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Bernie, what size are you working this.?
If you are trying for the wee one - you are crazy - ha ha.
I KNEW I could not do it, so I didn't try.

However, it looks marvellous from where i sit - especially if you are going tiny. :)

Rosic
05-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Bernie, what size are you working this.?
If you are trying for the wee one - you are crazy - ha ha.

7"x7"... you're right... I'm crazy! :D
This one is much harder than I anticipated.
My skin tones are way off... may glaze over them once they're dry.
Bern

guillot
05-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Excellent so far Bernie!!! :clap: I commend you on your efforts to reproduce the original size - way too small for me - heck it's still way to small for me !! I'm having a difficult time with the issue as well and I can't imagine painting the 3 any smaller.

Richard - too funny!!!!!!! :D

Dave - thanks for the encouragement. :)

Tina

raphaël_eko
05-10-2004, 09:25 AM
... that you guys and gals are cracking me up - holoprosencephaly and the three stooges! :p

Wunderbar! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I might just have to put my boys to canvas... so what to put in the background or in their hands??? Any suggestions?

ripper4
05-10-2004, 12:32 PM
What a fun thread..
I just received my asphaltum and I am experimenting with it and neo-meglip for my foundation. I am painting on birch panel 7" x 7" and these three pictures represent how I can paint for 2 hours and ignor the "hard parts" of a figure.

I hope to add some color soon.

Great posts everyone!!!!

Don

WV.Artistry
05-10-2004, 03:36 PM
I'll probably finish the charcoal sketch tonight.

Letting some flow in now -- the background is going to run where it may.

Additional Modifications:
* Added Penis on Grace #3 for assistance with sketch
and then removed penis (my mother yelled at me.. ).
* Omitting Grace #3's hand-on-shoulder for aesthetics
and I'm unable to count her fingers past 6.
* Alterering foreground according to light source.
* Adding rocks and small foliage to accentuate light source.. tiny trees, ugh!

Problems:
* I have no how how to tie a hair bun.
* I have limited knowledge of how to tie braids.

Dave -- I might do the experiment first and then decide how to proceed.

Richard

WV.Artistry
05-10-2004, 03:53 PM
not muc hbeter

I'll buys om e film

artbabe21
05-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Don welcome to the project & it's looking good. How do you like the asphaltum? :)

Richard...what are you using to photograph? A film camera? What I can see is looking good! :D

Matt Sammekull
05-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Hi.

I finally got some time on my hands to begin with my version of this months MOM. Due to a lack of time I'll do a crop.

I started out with my verdaccio, using Beckers "Cyprus Umber" and white.
My canvas is about 30x20cm, do the maths for inches! ;)

//matt

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2004/15549-1.jpg

I wonder where those zebra stripes came from, cause they're certainly not there on my canvas.

jez_barracude
05-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Problems:
* I have no how how to tie a hair bun.
* I have limited knowledge of how to tie braids.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I DO know how to make hair buns and plaits - (now all I need is to learn how to paint!).
To make a braid or plait, you divide the hair into three sections. You can try this with three thick pieces of string if it's easier than just visualising it. Attach your strings to something at one end to simulate hair attached to a head. 1) Then fold the right hand string over the middle one.
2) then fold the left hand string over the middle one.
Keep repeating (1) and (2) until you run out of length, always folding the "new" outside strings over the "new" middle string.

For buns, it looks like the Grace in the middle has taken a very long braid and folded it several times horizontally to make a wide, not-very-tall bun.

Sometimes people take long plaits and wind them round and round to make a big circular bun. You can also make a bun without plaiting the hair first, just twisting it round and round so it has some spring in it and forcing hairpins through it - this will give you the classic "cottage loaf" shape with no visible plaiting.

Jez

artbabe21
05-11-2004, 01:14 PM
I wonder where those zebra stripes came from, cause they're certainly not there on my canvas.

Matt...I think it's the light from your camera...it's happened to mine before depending upon where I was photographing it...:) No worries...

My crop is completely different!!

jez_barracude
05-11-2004, 01:34 PM
I've rejoined, after a couple of months in which I did other stuff, including glazing the Caravaggio from February over and over and over.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2004/32755-first_drawing.jpg

-- so I am just posting this to say I have started, which will hopefully keep me accountable to getting on with it at some point in the not too distant future.

Regards to everybody, and I have missed participating in the last couple of months of this.

Jez

dcorc
05-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Matt - It's a moire effect due to "aliasing" on resampling the image, due to the grain of the canvas - the way to get round it is to do a slight gaussian blur of the image before resizing it down. (I know it sounds odd but it works because its decreasing/removing "high spatial frequency" data in the image so it doesn't exceed the "Nyquist limit"

Aliasing is an artefact that occurs if an image is digitized at a Nyquist frequency which lies below the highest spatial frequencies contained in the image. All frequencies above the Nyquist limit appear in the digitized image as frequencies below the Nyquist limit, they are aliased. )

Having resized the image down, do a slight sharpen or "unsharp mask" on it in photoshop to "crisp" it up again.

Dave

Matt Sammekull
05-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks Dave.. will give that a try.

//Matt

WV.Artistry
05-11-2004, 03:27 PM
-- so I am just posting this to say I have started, which will hopefully keep me accountable to getting on with it at some point in the not too distant future.
Jez

Thanks for the buns and braids note.

In my sketch, Grace #2 looked like an orb was attached to the back of her head. I edited last night, and it's better -- now resembling a South American pumpkin squash.

I look forward to your work.

It helped me to slightly enlarge the (her) right breast of Grace #1, and the (her) left breast of Grace #3.

Finished my landscape sketch this morning and began sketching the sky. Hopefully, I'll be able to begin painting tomorrow.

I want to take this painting to a Saturday art mini-fest and paint live. Maybe, like March, the WC MOM Project will get on television again. I need a sign to attach to the top of my easel. Any graphic designers on board?

Richard

artbabe21
05-11-2004, 05:06 PM
OK.....I wasn't going to have the time to do this but can pull off a quick crop I think :confused: This is my sketch....it's very small, don't ask...lol...Boy, these babes were built like truck drivers...was aching to feminize the arms

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2004/7568-MOM--sketch.jpg

dcorc
05-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Boy, these babes were built like truck drivers
It's all that shot-putting they're doing!

Dave

artbabe21
05-11-2004, 07:31 PM

That WILL do it everytime!! lol...methinks that the crop makes these large muscles seem even larger but hey, Ruben like women were in! Step aside you skinny minnies...:)

Biki
05-11-2004, 07:47 PM
wonderful drawing Cathleen - and nice crop you chose too.

i assume this is the crop you will be painting.?

artbabe21
05-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Thanks Biki! :D Yes, I chose to just do a smigen of this whole painting since time was short again. I am so looking forward to JULY when it's that bowl of flowers.....woohoo!

How is yours coming along....you'll do beautifully. I saw that marvelous hand wringing the cloth you completed! Just awesome! :)

dcorc
05-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks Biki! :D Yes, I chose to just do a smigen of this whole painting since time was short again. I am so looking forward to JULY when it's that bowl of flowers.....woohoo!

Cathleen - you think those Thayer flowers are going to be easy ? That's the one I'm dreading most of all!

Dave

WV.Artistry
05-11-2004, 08:34 PM
I need some cloud ideas. Mammatus / Super Cell.

artbabe21
05-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Cathleen - you think those Thayer flowers are going to be easy ? That's the one I'm dreading most of all!

No......not easy...especially since I've not ever done flowers, but it's my fave of all the MOMs....so maybe I 'should' be moonlighting NOW????????????????? :) lol

Matt Sammekull
05-12-2004, 03:18 AM
Hi folks, and a good morning to you all!

I am so looking forward to JULY when it's that bowl of flowers.....woohoo!

Cathleen, - I like Dave have a great fear of this one. That month will without any competition what so ever be the hardest one. To me... and maybe to Dave.

Zorn with his brushwork struck me as really tough... Thayer and his roses pushes that limit even further.

I'm really looking forward to next month and Cezanne though.. I love that painting and the way it was executed in. I t will look great on one of my walls eventually. I hope.

//Matt

guillot
05-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Ripper - Welcome aboard. I like your approach !!! Looking great.

Richard!!! SHame, shame. We should want Raphael Laughing in his grave - but not rolling in his grave :p

Matt - love the crop your doing. Cyprus Umber - Interesting!!

Jez - good to see you back!!!!!

Cathleen - I like the composition you have chosen for your crop!! I know - those burly arms, yikes! What size are you doing yours?

On Thayer ................... YIKES!!

This is as far as I have gotten so far - still lots of work to do. Sorry for the crooked shot :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2004/5957-laying_in_color3A.jpg

Take care everyone and great stuff so far!

Tina

Biki
05-13-2004, 05:19 AM
Looking great Tina. Can't wait for tomorrow so I can continue.
I don't have a good feeling that it will finish well tho.

Tell me, who is painting on smooth & who is painting on canvas.
I am afraid, mine is canvas - and it is hard to do the detail so small ( even tho I am going 20 x 24)

Yes - don't tell me. One eyeball is bigger than the other - ha ha :rolleyes:
Trying to complete now by starting from the left & moving accross to the right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/23158-grace_1_-_11_may_-_SMALLER.jpg

guillot
05-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi Biki - looking great and thanks. Mine is on canvas - no extra preparation.

Tina

jez_barracude
05-13-2004, 10:09 AM

Dave

Good guess, but not quite. Now the truth can be revealed... ladies and gentlemen, I give you the flat-chested ladies from Mars.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/32755-underpainting.jpg

This is only the underpainting, of course. My theory is that Raphael was illustrating an early science fiction story (hence the strange and reddish background landscape as well). Eventually he was asked to tone it down, giving us the human-tinted but strangely shaped trio we see today, much like Leonardo was once asked to make a Catherine less saintly for a rather worldly patron.

Jez

P.S.Why, oh why, did I decide to do this actual size and on canvas???

artbabe21
05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
((Tina))--terrific job! You are moving through this beautifully! :)

Biki...yours is wow...love the close up too...I'm just using canvas on board.

Jez...Nice block in! :D

Matt...I look at Thayer's flowers as the impressionists did, place one spot of color next to the other as you see it...:D I KNOW....easier said than done sometimes, but I'm not listening to you guys, I'll rush in not knowing I may have difficulty doing it...la-la-la...:)

ripper4
05-13-2004, 06:35 PM
I put in another 2 hours (with a nasty head cold) blocking in more tones around the figures. I just started to redraw them when I realized that I have no small brushes with me argh...

Cathleen, so far I like the asphaltum a lot. When Biki (I think) mentioned that she used asphaltum, I was thinking about asphaltum varnish. (printmaking) I start a new commission Friday and will definitely use it again. Another debt I owe to this community....

Don
;)

Hoofmama
05-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without actually posting? All I can say is "WOW" I love what everyone is doing. I will content myself to lurk for now. :clap:

guillot
05-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Well come on Hoofmama!! Join in the fun. We're just all learning :) and having a great time with it. Teaching each other along the way - it's a great experience ! Plus, we have a LOT lined up for the year !!! We are in the 5th month ( I've missed one :o ) and having the opportunity to learn with everyone here in these MOM's has taken my painting to a new level - I swear it has!! I don't have the benefit of going to art classes - wow I wish !! :) - and I have learned so much from everyone here at Wetcanvas over the past few years. But these MOM's - they have really made a difference for me. Don't know 'bout anyone else - but they have really helped me tremendously and the support is wonderful ;)

Tina

dcorc
05-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without actually posting? All I can say is "WOW" I love what everyone is doing. I will content myself to lurk for now. :clap:

Hoofmama - Welcome! Join us! If you look at the bar above the thread, it says thread tools - the dropdown includes the option "subscribe to this thread" (or, if you are already subscribed, you can "unsubscribe")

Everybody - great work, and good progress being made. I'll post more detailed comments, and an update, tomorrow. Night all !

Dave

artbabe21
05-13-2004, 11:09 PM
All I can say is "WOW" I love what everyone is doing. I will content myself to lurk for now. :clap:

Oh, no lurking.......come on & join us Hoofmama! It's for all experience levels and such a FUN group too! :D You'll find yourself improving even quicker with a group project like this...we've intended this to be a virtual classroom...:)

Biki
05-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Seeing as i have not touched mine since 3 days, should I oil it out first before I start again.?

you just wipe it over with an oily rag, right.?

guillot
05-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Not necessarily. If you are painting in layers - add a little more linseed oil to your next layer. However - some people do lay a light coat of oil and proceed. Either way - you are making the next layer "fatter". I wouldn't oil out unless I've had something sitting around for much longer than 3 days, but that's just me.

Tina

Biki
05-14-2004, 03:13 AM
Not necessarily. If you are painting in layers - add a little more linseed oil to your next layer. However - some people do lay a light coat of oil and proceed. Either way - you are making the next layer "fatter". I wouldn't oil out unless I've had something sitting around for much longer than 3 days, but that's just me.

Tina

so how long would you leave it Tina?
like my sky for instance, I have not touched that since I started & need to go over it.
Wish I could come & peer over the shoulder of you guys as you work.
(yeah - as if you'd let me :D )

I didn't end up painting today after all :crying: too many fiddly things to attend to & couldn't find the time. Hopefully, tomorrow. :)

loop
05-14-2004, 10:11 AM
just wanted to pipe in and say hi and tell you I am amazed at the number of miniture painters we have here, these are really turning out great. I have been wondering which is harder: painting this very small, or painting it larger and haveing to "make up" the detail

so how long would you leave it Tina?
like my sky for instance, I have not touched that since I started & need to go over it.
Wish I could come & peer over the shoulder of you guys as you work.
(yeah - as if you'd let me :D )

I would say OVER three months. I have actually painted on a 3 month old painting fine without oiling out.
:evil: At first glance I thought you had wrote that you wished you could PEE over our shoulders :D :evil:

ripper4
05-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Loop,

I was thinking the same thing (about the size :D )
I always have a hard time "filling in" details so I chose the small size.

Don

guillot
05-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi Biki, yes - I agree with Loop. Maybe over 3 months or so. Although I have continued on a painting that sat around for 5 months, and had no problems. I really do not know what the general rule of thumb is on this, so maybe someone else can chime in who does. :) I would feel priviledged to have ANYONE peek over my shoulder!!

Tina - the lonely painter :p

Biki
05-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Just to be a rebel, I oiled it out ever so slightly. :D
I liked what it did.

So - moving along & enjoying it immensely.

I like thier faces, and I like the middle one's bottom. :D

funny how you see all the flaws when you take a photo. I thought my blending was fine until I took the pic. :rolleyes:

Is everone else working on it today.? - tho I guess it is Friday night most places - but Saturday arvo here. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2004/23158-15_may_-_1.SMALLER.jpg

jez_barracude
05-15-2004, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=Biki]Is everone else working on it today.? - tho I guess it is Friday night most places - but Saturday arvo here. :D

QUOTE]

Wow, this is looking great! I like the way you have opened up the sky.

It's mid-morning Saturday here and I am planning to work a bit more on my little green ladies soon - or at least their background.

Jez

Biki
05-15-2004, 06:46 AM
thanks Jezza :D

this is my first MOM - and it really is amazing how much you learn.!!!

why did i not do one earlier?. :confused: :rolleyes: :D

hurry up & share Jez. :D I feel like I am on my own here. :(

Rosic
05-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Cathleen... Glad you're in... love the crop you chose. :)

Tina... Coming along nicely... are you still frustrated? ;)

Jez... LOL... love the green ladies! :D

Don... Two Thumbs up! :clap:

Biki... WOW... Looks finished... are you finished? :clap:

My latest update:
Glazed a couple layers of skin tones on two of the figures. This has been a slow one for me. Been a very busy month at work and home.
Bernie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2004/17108-mommay3.JPG

close-up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2004/17108-mommay3close.JPG

guillot
05-15-2004, 12:56 PM
BIKI !! Wonderful!!!!!!!! :clap: see ........ these MOM's aren't that bad at all, huh ;)

Bernie - Yes dear - I'm still a bit frustrated but mostly because I have too much on my plate. I plan on working on mine some more this evening. :) Thanks for asking.

Tina

ripper4
05-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Nice job Biki your colors look great!
Bernie I like the way you model the figures
Tina I wish I had started an oval...

I can't wait to paint the flowers!!!!!

Don :cool:

artbabe21
05-15-2004, 01:41 PM
BIKI!! LOve what you have accomplished :clap: terrific job & all that cool detail on the head beads! Oh, on oiling out...be sure to use a lintfree rag...I'd not thought that far but Luis who used to hang with us mentioned that & it's very helpful.

BERNIE...yours is coming along so beautifully! I LOVE all the different colors you have in the skin! :D

Thanks on the crop those of you who mentioned it...I wasn't sure of the comp on the crops so kept doing it over until it looked pleasing to my eye.

((Tina)) you're doing fine, paint when you feel like it....we still have a few weeks left! :)

I STILL am so looking forward to Thayer everybody......maybe I am just not thinking it's going to be tough I love it so much...:)

Biki
05-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Almost done. Just need to liven up those feet a bit - give "skinny legs" on the left there a bit of a calf or two. - and the rest is just fiddle.

I think I made left & right Grace's forearms a bit too long - what do you think.?

I am ready for you to tell me what else is wrong with it now.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2004/23158-16_may_-_2._SMALLER.jpg

bjs0704
05-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Biki - They are looking great! I really like your shading on this! Good work!

I've been working on this tonight. So far, I have the Grace on the right and I am half through with the Grace on the left. Then, I am moving on to the Grace in the middle.

It has been really helpful to see everyone else's work. Everyone seems to approach the project a little bit differently.:cool:

loop
05-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Almost done. Just need to liven up those feet a bit - give "skinny legs" on the left there a bit of a calf or two. - and the rest is just fiddle.

I think I made left & right Grace's forearms a bit too long - what do you think.?

:confused:
looks done to me.
:confused:

are you cross eyed yet ?? :D

TeAnne
05-16-2004, 11:28 AM

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2004/23158-16_may_-_2._SMALLER.jpg

Absolutely Fab. Well done biki :clap: :clap:

TeAnne
05-16-2004, 11:30 AM

My girls sold on ebay last night :clap: :clap: :clap: Not for 100's of dollars but *shrug* a sale is a sale.

dcorc
05-16-2004, 12:59 PM
So many, all making good progress!

Biki - Virtually finished there - a definite triumph! :clap: (The forearms are fine - don't fiddle with it! :p )

Barb, Richard, Mike - got an update pic for us? :)

Bernie, Don - good to see you both having a go actual size.

Jez - good to see you back onboard again!

Tina - your oval version's looking great. Almost finished too, I think

Matt, Cathleen - good crop choices, manage to have a further go at them yet?

TeAnne - sold! - well done :clap:

Todd - thanks for encouraging us all!

Hope I haven't forgotten anyone!

OK - the ugly one in the middle is giving me problems :p - I'm finding it quite tricky doing it so small, as it's important to keep the paint surface flat so it doesn't look overworked.

What I'm doing, since I'm painting actual size, at this stage on the faces is to adjust things with small soft brushes, using thin turpsy paint (to get it to flow right) allowing it to dry overnight, then carefully putting on a thin layer of liquin+mineral spirit 50/50 (like an oiling out approach, to fix the previous paint), and allowing it to dry overnight again, before further adjustments. It's still in Uglyville at the moment! I'll post when I've kicked it into shape a bit more (there's nothing much to be learned/gained from seeing it at the moment, or I'd post it - it's just a slightly different ugly from last time :p )

Dave

ripper4
05-16-2004, 07:59 PM
I finally have arrived at the fun part!
I spent as much time on the evil center grace face as I did on everything else today. I need to get some sable like brushes monday cuz these bristles are going to lead me to drink (like I need encouragement) Anybody have any good affordable recommendations?

Biki... it looks like you are on the finish line!
Lookin great everyone!

Don

dcorc
05-16-2004, 08:23 PM
I need to get some sable like brushes monday cuz these bristles are going to lead me to drink (like I need encouragement) Anybody have any good affordable recommendations?

I'd recommend one of the Islay Malts, such as Bowmore, Ardbeg, Laphoaig or Lagavulin, or Talisker from Skye - oh, you mean brushes? :p

Dave

Biki
05-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Ripper, yours looks much more like Raphael's in the way you have painted it.

I found it interesting the brushstrokes he used. So confident of his purpose.
The seeming messy reddish lines he used to outline the figures. I would never think of doing that. But Raphael's works so beautifully.
Also, I tend to paint in the curve of the form I am painting. Raphaels' strokes were just up & down - seeming to have no blending - yet it is spot on.!!

One day I might be able to paint like that? - but I think it will take many many years.

BTW - I think I am hooked on the MOMs at last. I hope I can do them all now. :D

ripper4
05-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks Biki
Those red lines remind me more of dry point etching rather than painting. I will probably trash the whole thing when (if) I end up re-drawing with them.

I also am hooked. This project reminded me of how I first taught myself to paint when I was a kid by copying pictures from art books. I had forgotten what you can get from it.

:D Dave......Funny.. I am sticking with Luksusowa (potatoe vodka) and a glass until my next ship comes in, and then its the Grey Goose! :evil:

Don

bjs0704
05-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi Everyone! Things got busy at work, so all I could do is read along and try my best to finish my version. I am glad I have taken a picture of this update - I have been painting and painting and feeling that I am hardly getting anywhere. By taking a picture, at least I can see that I am farther along than I thought.

I was trying to work from the back to the front. I have been doing the bodies of the graces on either side and I plan to eventually do the central grace. Then I plan to do the hair and faces of the graces. Even though I am working 16” x 20”, I have been having to use my 3x0 watercolor brushes (originally photo retouching brushes).

I was once reading in a book about Italian Renaissance Art that the “Three Graces” symbolized the giving of love, the receiving of love and returning love. :cool:

Hoofmama - Welcome! It’s good to see you join us! :clap:

Jez - How are the “Green Girls” coming along! They looked pretty good before! :clap: :clap:

Rosic - Your underpainting has a really interesting “old world” quality! It is going to be neat to see how it comes along! :clap: :clap:

Don - I like the brushmarks on your painting! Keep up the good work!
:clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2004/11410-graces2.jpg

Biki
05-17-2004, 03:40 AM
I was once reading in a book about Italian Renaissance Art that the “Three Graces” symbolized the giving of love, the receiving of love and returning love.

How beautiful Barb. I read these words once & they have always stayed with me. This is how I remeber it:

" Love is self communicative. People catch it, from those who have it.
To love one soul, is like adding it's life to your own".

I am sure there is more to it than that. But this is what I remember.

Your painting is coming along beautifully. Your shapes are lovely.
I can see the watercolour influence there Barb too - especially in the background. :)

I cannot wait to see everyone's finish. Hey - I cannot wait to see my own finish.!! :D

Biki
05-17-2004, 03:42 AM
oh - did anyone notice how my "signature quote" kinda fits this month's MOM?
it wasn't intentional - but still, a little bit interesting, huh?

DLGardner
05-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Wow these are beautiful! I really wish I was doing this one. When I move I think I will do a catch up so don't close the thread without me. Closing date on my new home is June 16. I can't wait!

artbabe21
05-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Congrats Dianne!! Thrilled you found a house!! It looks super & a studio for you!! woohoo...I'm still behind on this...lucky I chose a crop...:)

WV.Artistry
05-17-2004, 11:35 AM
I'll be finishing mine up soon.. bought some film, and will post.

Richard

guillot
05-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Hey guys!! Still working on mine too - though I didn't do anything this weekend.

Dianne - good to see you!!

Biki - yep, I noticed your quote!!! It's a good one.

Tina

bjs0704
05-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks Everyone!

Biki - That’s a wonderful quote! It’s quite a thought. And your choice of “signature quote” is quite a coincidence!

I keep thinking of the old song - Didn’t it go “Love isn’t something until you give it away”?

Diane - We will be looking forward to having you join us! I hope the whole house sale goes well!

Cathleen - How is your version coming along!

Richard - I am looking forward to seeing it!

Tina - I loved the oval format! The last I remember, you had finished quite a bit! Was there any more that you had to do? How is it going?

sasaman
05-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Here my favorite painting.

A WIP on this would be wonderful for me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2004/6384-raffaello.jpeg

guillot
05-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi sasaman - that's a good one to do too :)

Hi Barb- yes, still lots to do. All that I have here is the initial lay in of colors. It's far from complete but hoping that I can complete this weekend.

Everyone is doing great :clap:

Tina

Hoofmama
05-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Maybe I'll join in next month as I'm strapped for time currently. This looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I'm loving the progress posts...fun to see how different artists approach a project.

dcorc
05-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Here's an update on mine, 7x7ins (enough to cure me of any inclination to paint miniatures). Not quite there yet, but close, I think:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2004/30792-3graces4.jpg.

Dave

artbabe21
05-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Beautiful skin tones Dave!! :)

No Barb, I didn't get mine going yet...I developed tendonitis in my right arm & have tried to limit activity including the computer til it heals...I can't lift a milk carton!! Dang.... :crying:

Yours is coming along very well....is this your first MOM?

dcorc
05-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Dianne - house - fingers crossed!

Barb - coming well - it's a fiddly painting, isn't it? :)

Richard - looking forward to your photos.

Tina - keep going!

Cathleen - bad luck about the tendonitis :(

Hoofmama - do join in next month!

Sasaman - we're having such fun doing these MOM paintings, I'd guess we'll be compiling a list for next year - can you wait that long? :)

Biki + Barb - great quotes!

Dave

ripper4
05-18-2004, 05:40 PM
lookin great Dave!!!!!

I will not be doing any more mini's for a while either

Don

dcorc
05-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Thaks Don - they're tricky, small, aren't they? - how are you doing with the brushes? Did you manage to get some softer ones?

Dave

Patty Brown
05-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Hi.

This month we dedicate to Raphael, and his painting of the three graces.

(The man himself:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2004/15549-raphhead.jpg

Raphael was an Italian Renaissance painter who is considered one of the greatest and most popular artists of all time.
He was born Raffaello Santi or Raffaello Sanzio in Urbino on April 6, 1483, and received his early training in art from his father, the painter Giovanni Santi. According to many art historians, he also studied with Timoteo Viti at Urbino, executing under his influence a number of works of miniaturelike delicacy and poetic atmosphere, including Apollo and Marsyas (Louvre, Paris) and The Knight's Dream (1501?, National Gallery, London). In 1499 he went to Perugia, in Umbria, and became a student and assistant of the painter Perugino. Raphael imitated his master closely; their paintings of this period are executed in styles so similar that art historians have found it difficult to determine which were painted by Raphael. Among Raphael's independent works executed at Perugia are two large-scale paintings, the celebrated Sposalizio, or Marriage of the Virgin (1504, Brera Gallery, Milan), and The Crucified Christ with the Virgin Mary, Saints and Angels (1503?, National Gallery, London).

Florentine Period

In 1504 Raphael moved to Florence, where he studied the work of such established painters of the time as Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Fra Bartolommeo, learning their methods of representing the play of light and shade, anatomy, and dramatic action. At this time he made a transition from the typical style of the Umbrian school, with its emphasis on perspective and rigidly geometrical composition, to a more animated, informal manner of painting. His development during his Florentine period can best be traced in his numerous Madonnas. The earliest example, still Umbrian in inspiration, is the Madonna del Granduca (1504-1505, Pitti Palace, Florence). Later examples, showing the influence of Leonardo in serenity of expression and composition, include the well-known La Belle Jardinière (1507-1508, Musée du Louvre) and the Madonna of the Goldfinch (1505, Galleria degli Uffizi Gallery, Florence). The last of his Madonnas executed at Florence, the Madonna del Baldacchino (1508, Pitti Palace), a monumental altarpiece, is similar in style to the work of Fra Bartolommeo. Raphael's most important commissions during his stay in Florence came from Umbria. His most original composition of this period is the Entombment of Christ (1507, Borghese Gallery, Rome), an altarpiece that nevertheless shows the strong influence of Michelangelo in the postures and anatomical development of the figures.

Roman Period

In 1508 Raphael was called to Rome by Pope Julius II and commissioned to execute frescoes in four small stanze, or rooms, of the Vatican Palace. The walls of the first room, the Stanza della Segnatura (1509-1511), are decorated with scenes elaborating ideas suggested by personifications of Theology, Philosophy, Poetry, and Justice, which appear on the ceiling. On the wall under Theology is the Disputà, representing a group discussing the mystery of the Trinity. The famous School of Athens, on the wall beneath Philosophy, portrays an open architectural space in which Plato, Aristotle, and other ancient philosophers are engaged in discourse. On the wall under Poetry is the celebrated Parnassus, in which the Greek god Apollo appears surrounded by the Muses and the great poets. The second Vatican chamber, the Stanza d'Eliodoro (1512-1514), painted with the aid of Raphael's assistants, contains scenes representing the triumph of the Roman Catholic church over its enemies.

After the death of Pope Julius II in 1513, and the accession of Leo X, Raphael's influence and responsibilities increased. He was made chief architect of Saint Peter's Basilica in 1514, and a year later was appointed director of all the excavations of antiquities in and near Rome. Because of his many activities, only part of the third room of the Vatican Palace, the Stanza del Incendio (1514-1517), was painted by him, and he merely provided the designs for the fourth chamber, the Sala Constantina. During this period he also designed ten tapestries illustrating the acts of Christ's apostles for the Sistine Chapel; the cartoons, or drawings, for these are now in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Raphael also devised the architecture and decorations of the Chigi Chapel in the Church of Santa Maria del Popolo and the decorations of the Villa Farnesina, which include the Triumph of Galatea (1513?).

In addition to these major undertakings, he executed a number of easel paintings, including a Portrait of Julius II (1511-1512), a series of Madonnas, and the world-famous Sistine Madonna (1514?, Gemäldegalerie, Dresden). Other religious paintings during this period include The Transfiguration (1517-1520, Vatican), completed posthumously by the most notable of Raphael's many followers, Giulio Romano. Raphael died in Rome on his 37th birthday, April 6, 1520.

The three graces:
Oil on panel, c.1503-1504. 17x17 cm ( about 7x7")
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2004/15549-raphael_three_graces.jpg

Click here for Hi-res image (http://www.jemawi.com/mom.htm)

The three graces, In Greek mythology, the three goddesses of joy, charm, and beauty. The daughters of the god Zeus and the nymph Eurynome, they were named Aglaia (Splendor), Euphrosyne (Mirth), and Thalia (Good Cheer). The Graces presided over banquets, dances, and all other pleasurable social events, and brought joy and goodwill to both gods and mortals. They were the special attendants of the divinities of love, Aphrodite and Eros, and together with companions, the Muses, they sang to the gods on Mount Olympus, and danced to beautiful music that the god Apollo made upon his lyre. In some legends Aglaia was wed to Hephaestus, the craftsman among the gods. Their marriage explains the traditional association of the Graces with the arts; like the Muses, they were believed to endow artists and poets with the ability to create beautiful works of art. The Graces were rarely treated as individuals, but always together as a kind of triple embodiment of grace and beauty. In art they are usually represented as lithe young maidens, dancing in a circle.

Now how did he paint this one? Well the flavor of that time was verdaccios...In the background we can see traces of something that could be a verdaccio... but it looks like he painted his shadows (in the skin) opaquely, and not transparent, (as in glazing over the verdaccio).

Suggested palette:

- A white of your choice
- Yellow ochre
- Terre Verte or Chromium Oxide green (if you're going for a verdaccio)
- Transparent Oxide red
- Venetian red
- Ultramarine blue
- Ivory black

That ought to do.. at least close enough.

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(The biographical text above, was taken from MS Encarta.)

//Matt
Do you know wether or not they stamped the back of their prints? I have a copy of the Virgin Mary and Jesus done by Raphael. On the back of the print it has a stamp with his name on it and a number 12?
Thanks,
Patty

Rosic
05-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Dave... :clap:
Biki... :clap:
Don... :clap:
Barb... :clap:

WIP Update:

Finished underpainting of third figure. Worked on upper bodies/heads of all three plus the BG. Slow but sure... :rolleyes:
Bern

Do we get miniture trophies or ribbons? :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2004/17108-mommay4.JPG

bjs0704
05-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Tina - Good luck with it! I thought that it was done last time, it looked great, I am looking forward to seeing it!

Dave - Your color is great! I love their skintones!

Cathleen - Ouch! That doesn’t sound good at all! Take care! (My husband suggested that you stop lifting milk cartons. :D )

Sasaman - That is a great painting! There are too many really good Raphaels for me to have a favorite, but I do LOVE Renaissance art.
That would be a great one to try to copy.

Bern - They are looking wonderful! It looks like your is going to turn out really good!

I have been working on mine, I finished the figures, the faces, and the hair and beads! I am going to let it set a couple of days and then clean up anything that I see then. But at this point, I think I’m done.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2004/11410-graces2.jpg

Biki
05-21-2004, 12:44 AM
Dave, Rosic & Barb - all looking great.

Hasn't this been fun!!

Hope to finish mine off today or tomorrow.
I am always too scared to finish it - ha ha. Coz I know it will be flawed, I suppose.

:clap: :clap: :clap: everyone. :)

WV.Artistry
05-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Wish I could come & peer over the shoulder of you guys as you work. (yeah - as if you'd let me :D )

The world as it is.. a man looking over a woman's shoulder has been noted as a perk. So unfortunately, I can't ask the same of you :angel:

My usual fee for shoulder peering is coffee as needed for the duration of the session, French Vanilla, and cream. If FV isn't available, Frangelica Liqueor will suffice nicely. And of course -- good conversation is required.

I'm glad you tackled this project. Your w/i/p posts show how "easily" you can accomplish things. I regrettably underestimated this one, and have spent way too working around Raphael's ?errors?, which aren't apparent until you try to reproduce (or interpret) this painting.

As I've been working on this, I've speculated: Perhaps one reason Bouguereau steered his students to Raphael in order to disuade them from copying him, was.. if you work out the bugs in a Raphael painting, you won't include them in your own works. ;)

Richard

Biki
05-21-2004, 02:19 AM
The world as it is.. a man looking over a woman's shoulder has been noted as a perk. So unfortunately, I can't ask the same of you :angel:

My usual fee for shoulder peering is coffee as needed for the duration of the session, French Vanilla, and cream. If FV isn't available, Frangelica Liqueor will suffice nicely. And of course -- good conversation is required.

I'm glad you tackled this project. Your w/i/p posts show how "easily" you can accomplish things. I regrettably underestimated this one, and have spent way too working around Raphael's ?errors?, which aren't apparent until you try to reproduce (or interpret) this painting.

As I've been working on this, I've speculated: Perhaps one reason Bouguereau steered his students to Raphael in order to disuade them from copying him, was.. if you work out the bugs in a Raphael painting, you won't include them in your own works. ;)

Richard

ha - i know exactly what you mean. Here I am with messy edges & telling myself that it is OK coz I am painting what I see.

Can't wait to try & copy Bougie. I think I will learn heaps more.

I vote for a Sargent & a Rembrandt next year. Now Matt has gone (sob) - who will be doing it all - Dave.?

btw - good conversation you can count on - but how about a splash of Merlot instead. :)

rushing out to dinner - i think I have fineished. Will post tomorrow.

jez_barracude
05-21-2004, 07:47 AM
A sneak preview of the Athens Olympic Village (still under construction) as the Martian team train for the Women's Nude Synchronised Shot-Put.
We now have beach volleyball so it could happen, and remember, you read it here first!
Better keep working on those Earthling disguises, ladies!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2004/32755-bg.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2004/32755-first_skintone.jpg

guillot
05-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Now Matt has gone (sob) - who will be doing it all - Dave.?

Matt will still be doing the MOM's, he's not "gone" :)

Patty - How exciting. I don't have an answer to your question - but man, to have a Raphael!!! Hope you find your answer.

Everyone is doing SO WONDERFUL :clap: !!!!!!! Hoping I can get back to mine this weekend. My oldest has a prom tonight, and a birthday this weekend, but I'm hoping to find time between all the confusion to continue the work on mine.

Happy Friday!!!

Tina

WV.Artistry
05-21-2004, 12:51 PM
w/i/p 2x2

#1) Charcoal Sketch
#2) To-Date

Richard

bjs0704
05-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Actually, one of the nice things about MOM’s is that in a manner of speaking we DO get to peer over the shoulders of other paintings (at least we get to see their progress). I am very appreciative of this and I have learned quite a bit in the last two months by doing MOM’s.

There are couple of things that I have noticed while doing “Three Graces”. First, the composition with its negitive space around the girls and the positioning of the figures that adds so much liveliness to the piece overall. No wonder there were so many variations of this composition. (Raphael’s work is very similar to the three graces in one of Botticelli’s paintings.)

The second thing I have found impressive is how much Raphael could do with only a few colors. He couldn’t have been using more than 7 colors and even there there are a couple of colors that he seems to have only used in touches.

By the way, does anyone know what the globes represent?

Jez- They are looking great. (Though I was kinda enjoying them in green. I wonder if we could have found them a part on Star Trek.) I am glad that someone tried the verdaccio underpainting. The green does seem to add something to the reds and browns in this painting.

Richard - Very nice! You have done a great job!

Biki
05-21-2004, 05:40 PM
richard - that is SO cool. :clap: :clap: :clap:

jez_barracude
05-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Jez- They are looking great. (Though I was kinda enjoying them in green. I wonder if we could have found them a part on Star Trek.) I am glad that someone tried the verdaccio underpainting. The green does seem to add something to the reds and browns in this painting.

Thanks!

I am not sure where this green underpainting thing is going at the moment - just have one thin (but not transparent) layer over the top so I shall see if the green livens them up as it goes along...

I love all the subtle reds and browns in the background, there seems to be more going on every time I look. I am not sure how I shall get the details, especially facial feature etc, I may have to cannibalise some tiny brushes to do it.

I have really learned from Richard's, and Dave's, and Rosic's, and of course yours, and several others as well!

Biki
05-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Finished.!

the shotputs look a little flat topped, but they are not really. The angle of the photo is a bit off, so maybe that is why they look like that.?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2004/23158-22_may_-_smaller.jpg

bjs0704
05-21-2004, 09:04 PM
They are so lovely, Biki! :clap:

I really love the gentle look of the background in your painting.

Biki
05-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks Barb. I love yours also - told you so in WOYE :)
It has been fun has it not.?

I noticed most of you put in that whispy bit on the hip of Grace #1 as part of her little modesty wrap. Doh! - I thought it was an old mistake of Raphael's that had come unglued over time. :D

Looking forward to seeing all the others unfold now.

dcorc
05-21-2004, 11:17 PM
I noticed most of you put in that whispy bit on the hip of Grace #1 as part of her little modesty wrap. Doh! - I thought it was an old mistake of Raphael's that had come unglued over time. :D

I'd agree with that latter interpretation!

Dave

artbabe21
05-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Biki! Yours turned out beautifully!! OMG--those faces are superb!! You should be quite proud!! :) sorry about the house

Biki
05-22-2004, 03:29 AM
Biki! Yours turned out beautifully!! OMG--those faces are superb!! You should be quite proud!! :) sorry about the house

Thanks Cathleen. I am rather impressed that you seem impressed. :)

These Graces have such sweet little faces, don't they. They are like little pixies. I did not dare try & get a good likeness - just wanted them to look pretty. :)

I think I might have a break now. Do you all let things go while you paint & then have to catch up? .... like getting the house clean and such.?
I think it is time I did an "oily rag" thread. I feel like sharing personal stuff.

jez_barracude
05-22-2004, 05:50 AM
Finished.!

Yours turned out really lovely. I like the sense of openness with your big background, and the way their flesh tones blend in beautifully.

Jez

WV.Artistry
05-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Do you all let things go while you paint & then have to catch up? .... like getting the house clean and such.?
I think it is time I did an "oily rag" thread. I feel like sharing personal stuff.

Clean?

Ever see the show called the odd couple. . . the Oscar syndrome is from a psychological condition called "fear of loss", and I've got it. But some people just say I'm a slob.

Although disturbing to some, in not mowing my backyard for a year-and-a-half, I 'm getting a semblence of a field, wild flowers, elves, owls, an occasional eastern coyote, and other life that seems to tolerate me wandering in the wilderness checking for fruits and fragrances.

If I can ever attract a nymph, perhaps I'll have an opportunity to finally paint my opus. However, I'm quite sure, the first thing she'll say is . . . "You don't really expect me pose for you in this house, do you? Clean first -- then we'll talk."

Ugh!

p.s. Your gesture of Grace #1 is superb. And I also thought the wrap was an underpainting post-finish bleed.

IMNRTST
05-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Amazing job everyone! :clap:
Seeing all the different versions progress so well is so inspiring. (Pushed me to keep working on mine when my ladies were on the verge of the side of the road lol)
Thx for the inspiration... :) :) :)
Anyways...here's the end of mine (i think)
Mike

bjs0704
05-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Mike - I love the color in your version. You have also done really well with the faces.

Biki
05-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Amazing job everyone! :clap:
Seeing all the different versions progress so well is so inspiring. (Pushed me to keep working on mine when my ladies were on the verge of the side of the road lol)
Thx for the inspiration... :) :) :)
Anyways...here's the end of mine (i think)
Mike

OOOOHHH ! Absolutely gorgeous Mike. :clap: :clap: :clap:
They look like porcelaine.
Definitely my favourite so far.

IMNRTST
05-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Thx so much Barb and Biki! :D
Your comments mean alot
Mike

Rosic
05-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Barb... Looks great!

Jez... Can't wait to see the green evolve with each glaze.
Looking good so far.

Richard... Love what you have done with the BG... not to mention making the models look a little more feminine. Nicely done.

Biki... WOW... wish I could say that word... Finished! You did a great job and I'm so glad you are hooked on the MOM project now.

Mike... I'm speechless... simply put... SUPERB!!!!!... Like yours better than Raphael's.

I'm still working... hope to post an update tomorrow.
Bernie

WV.Artistry
05-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Richard... Love what you have done with the BG... not to mention making the models look a little more feminine. Nicely done.

I'm still working... hope to post an update tomorrow.
Bernie

Thanks,

I've since added another layer of flesh, and flowed the background/foreground some with some anomolies. Worked on the faces today. I'll touch up some more on the hands and toes . . . see if they're ticklish, and then buy some film.

Final layer of flesh was done in 2 parts.
1) Soft glaze of raw sienna
2) Mixture to arrive at 3 tones violet/grey and . . . accents with Burnt Sienna, Indian Red, Van Dyke Brown, Raw Sienna, whatever White.

Anomolies were done with turpentine.

No other medium was used to paint this.

Have a great week.

Richard

IMNRTST
05-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Mike... I'm speechless... simply put... SUPERB!!!!!... Like yours better than Raphael's.

Woo...thx man....i'm speechless that you're speechless :p
Looking forward to your update
cheers =)
Mike

Rosic
05-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Latest WIP Update:

One more glaze on grace #3, detail the faces and fingers, and tidy up the sky and then I'll be done. :D Need to let this dry first...
Bern

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/17108-mommay5.JPG

bjs0704
05-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Bernie - It is coming along great! I really like the sky in your painting. It will be good to see the faces.

IMNRTST
05-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Nice work Bern!...It's looking good :clap:
Mike

Biki
05-25-2004, 03:47 AM
Good one Bernie. I love the richness of the background/ lovely shiny spheres/shotputs :p / the graces look lovely - good luck with those little pixie faces. :)

Maryem
05-26-2004, 04:30 AM
Hi, everyone, what dedicated people you are, and so many wonderful Graces...

We are also having a go in the Figure forum at this one. Bernie told me to post my version here too. It is in poster paint over textured household emulsion primer. My personal opinion is that my version looks more like 3 witches...

Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2004/25782-3gracesChallWC.jpg

bjs0704
05-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Oh, MY!!! There are some lovely colors and textures in your version!

Rosic
05-26-2004, 12:22 PM

We are also having a go in the Figure forum at this one. Bernie told me to post my version here too. It is in poster paint over textured household emulsion primer. My personal opinion is that my version looks more like 3 witches...

Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2004/25782-3gracesChallWC.jpg

Mary... thanks for posting this here to share! ;)

artbabe21
05-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Oh, Mary....I love what you have done with these graces. So glad you posted it here!! :) :D

Originally when the MOM was discussed my suggestion was for everyone to paint their vision of the master painting. My suggestion went by the wayside as the intention of the project was to get as close to the real thing as possible, to learn what they did.

I'm glad that this has evolved into whatever copy of these graces appealed to each of us!! We all have different things to learn...:)

WV.Artistry
05-26-2004, 01:38 PM

Mary

I saw this in the figure forum. Had been meaning to comment on it there, but the only words I can think of to say is . . .

To-o-o c-o-o-o-ol !!!

Richard

WV.Artistry
05-26-2004, 03:15 PM
Here's mine

. . . just kidding!

Now that I've finished this piece, I'm going to lop off my beard.

WV.Artistry
05-26-2004, 03:19 PM
My photo skills are lousy -- but here's my final. It's much more refined than I can present, sorry.

Richard

Hoofmama
05-26-2004, 04:43 PM
I paint with acrylics. Would I be allowed to participate in the next challenge? I've been watching the #5MOM for a while and I just realized that this is the oil forum...duh?

Rosic
05-26-2004, 08:23 PM
I paint with acrylics. Would I be allowed to participate in the next challenge? I've been watching the #5MOM for a while and I just realized that this is the oil forum...duh?
I won't tell anybody ;) ... please join us.

Richard... Congrats!... I love your rendition! :clap:

Bern

ripper4
05-26-2004, 11:24 PM
I am blown away by the many styles of our three graces.

Dave, yours rocks, I did get a soft liner brush, and a big bottle of Grey Goose.

Biki, -yours is sweeter than Ralfs.
Richard, -your figures are so original
Mary, -I love your three witches! they look like a wonderful batik.
Richard, -great job and thanks for the asphaltum help
Mike, -I think you have the best likeness I have seen yet
Barb & bernie and all I have left out... awesome.

Sorry this has gone on so long, I have been away at my Grandma's funeral. (96) I hope to do one more sitting with these three dudes before this thread closes. Bring on the Thayer!

Don :crying:

Biki
05-26-2004, 11:28 PM
I won't tell either Mama - jump on in. :)

Richard - once again this is so cool. I love all the colours you have put into the flesh - and your version of the background. Very clever.

They don't look too much like faith, hope & charity to me tho.
maybe you could call them the three grouches instead.
anger, lust & greed, perhaps.? :D

Never the less, I DO love the way you paint. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rosic
05-26-2004, 11:44 PM
Don... thanks for the compliments. Yours is looking great. I like the painterly feel it has plus the texture.

So sorry to hear about your grandmother... I miss both mine and my wife's dearly. Visit a webpage I created... it is my prayer that you find peace and comfort among its pages... Weeping Willows. (http://www.waterbug.homestead.com/)

I hope to put the finishing touches on mine tomorrow.

Bern

bjs0704
05-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Richard - Your first photo is pretty interesting in itself!

There is a lot of character in your version! Good work!!!!

Don - I am impressed with how close you have come to the original in terms of the color and faces! You have done quite well!

Biki
05-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Hey Don. I almost missed yours - we were posting at the same time.

I like it plenty. :) :clap: They are all so interesting in their approach. And everyone's own style is evident in it's own way.

Maryemm - yours is also lovely. :clap:

where's dave's? - did I miss an update?, or has his love for La Donna, had him jilt the three graces.?
( he is so fickle for an Englishman - don't you think? :) )

jez_barracude
05-27-2004, 12:06 PM
It is in poster paint over textured household emulsion primer. Mary

Hey, that texturing looks really fun! I shall have to try it with something a painting or two down the line!

Being new, a few of my patent dumb questions if that's OK: Do you just put your primer on the support and have at it with a palette knife or a spatula or something to get the surface you want? Then leave it to dry like "ordinary" primer? Does it need to be on board or other hard surfaces?

Jez

WV.Artistry
05-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone, and I am equally enjoying your posts -- the collage of inspiration is a benefit to us all. I know I study each of your posts and learn from them.

These projects really make me work -- thanks again for letting me play too :)

Richard

Maryem
05-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey, that texturing looks really fun! I shall have to try it with something a painting or two down the line!

Being new, a few of my patent dumb questions if that's OK: Do you just put your primer on the support and have at it with a palette knife or a spatula or something to get the surface you want? Then leave it to dry like "ordinary" primer? Does it need to be on board or other hard surfaces?

Jez

Jez, household emulsion is quite liquid, a palette knife would be difficult. I put it on quickly and thickly, and texture it at once before it dries. Use your imagination as to what to texture it with.... and yes, it needs a hard surface - paper curls up!

Mary

Rosic
05-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Finished! :clap:

No Raphael but I learned a lot from this one. Two main things were:
#1 - Painting this small is tough! (Especially in those faces!)
#2 - I learned a different way to do the skin tones. Painted wet-in-wet first... then glazed two light coats.

Thanks for everyones support and participation this month. I enjoyed seeing all the different styles shine through on this one. See you next month (Next week). :D

I'll be away for the holiday weekend and will touch base with you all next week.

Bernie

"The Three Graces" after Raphael by Rosic
7"x7" Oil on Masonite
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/17108-mommay6finished.JPG

Close-up:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/17108-mommay5closefinished.JPG

bjs0704
05-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Bernie - It’s lovely. I love the pinks and lilacs in your skin tones. I see that you did it in the original size - no wonder it was so tough. Good job!

artbabe21
05-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Terrific job Bernie!! :clap: Glad you enjoyed it!! :) Thanks for bringing over the figure forum folks!!

For all of you yet to finish, me included, this thread will stay up a little while beyond the end of month but once cut loose from the sticky can still be added to!!

jez_barracude
05-29-2004, 10:14 AM
For all of you yet to finish, me included, this thread will stay up a little while beyond the end of month but once cut loose from the sticky can still be added to!!

I still have some work to do - since posting I have added one more layer to the flesh tones and have a fair bit of tidying up still to do. Looking for other work (I think successfully, although waiting for written confirmation) has interfered a bit with my painting time/energy.

Biki
05-30-2004, 01:15 AM
Fantastic work Bernie. :clap:
How you managed that so small is beyond me.

WV.Artistry
05-30-2004, 05:52 PM
"The Three Graces is Raphael's first study of the female nude in both front and back views. It was probably not based on living models, however, but on the classical sculpture group of the Three Graces in Siena."

Photos: Siena Duomo, Scupture (3rd Century Roman)

bjs0704
05-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks for showing us this, Richard.

A few months ago, I was reading up on Botticelli's painting "Primavera". It has a really beautiful version of the "Three Graces". I really appreciate seeing more examples.

bjs0704
05-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Bernie - I loved the fact that you worked in the original size! What kind of brushes were you using?

TeAnne
05-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Finished! :clap:

No Raphael but I learned a lot from this one. Two main things were:
#1 - Painting this small is tough! (Especially in those faces!)
#2 - I learned a different way to do the skin tones. Painted wet-in-wet first... then glazed two light coats.

Thanks for everyones support and participation this month. I enjoyed seeing all the different styles shine through on this one. See you next month (Next week). :D

I'll be away for the holiday weekend and will touch base with you all next week.

Bernie

"The Three Graces" after Raphael by Rosic
7"x7" Oil on Masonite
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/17108-mommay6finished.JPG

Close-up:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/17108-mommay5closefinished.JPG
WOW! You did great :) Wonderful work. Others are great too. I'm glad I was a part of this one. :D

guillot
05-31-2004, 03:02 PM
OH WOW!! Let my computer break on me, come back and look at all the wonderful work :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd better get busy :D

EVERYONE's work looks absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tina

Rosic
06-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Bernie - I loved the fact that you worked in the original size! What kind of brushes were you using?

Thanks Barb and everyone else for your kind words!
Barb... I used four brushes for the entire piece.
#4 M. Grumbacher 782 Filbert
#4 Royal RG 150 Flat
#3 Royal RG 250 Sable
#2/0 Royal RG 250 Sable

WV.Artistry
06-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Richard, I can't see your Three Graces as I am replying & you have attached it rather than using the uploader...sorry...

experimenting -- ignore this post.

hmm.. the attachment is 157k, and the uploader has a limit of 100k, resize (question quality?) Saved at 95% to 96k. Follow instructions from Matt, and..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2004/37442-3g_v5_fl1b.jpg

guillot
06-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey richard, I like your take on the painting. It looks so soft! Really niced, subdued colors. Awesome background !! :clap:

Tina

IMNRTST
06-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Nice detailed work Richard. Love how your water stream guides my eye right to the graces.
see ya
Mike

WV.Artistry
06-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks Mike,

I used turpentine anomolies to fuse earth abstracts into the allusion, and constantly looked for flow in-between the drying times and breaks working on The Graces. The water colors were simply: Paynes Grey, Green Umber, and Cool White Oil Pigment. Ditto the clothe wrap of Grace #1, and the majority of foreground rocks in the lower left. I rolled a pointed brush in attempt to give the water movement over the rocks, and also used a clayworking tool in the middle-earth ripples.

Thanks Tina,

I'm afraid, my obvious inability to attract a girlfriend really comes into light with this painting. The muses were a most "gracious" break in my lack of company :)

Richard

ripper4
06-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Hey I am only a week late......
Time ran too quick for me in May. and June looks tough as well.

I finally ran out of vodka, sobered up and came as close to finishing these muses as I ever will.

7" X 7" oil on birch panel

Thanks for the great art chat

Don

bjs0704
06-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Don - They are great! You have really done well with them. I love the faces.

artbabe21
06-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Bravo Don!! :) This looks terrific!! Lovely faces!

I'm going to cut loose this thread now....but please do look for it and post any late comers. We just can't keep too many stickies at the top.!

guillot
06-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Great work everyone. I'm so STUCK!! I've never painted a face, or body, this small, with the exception of the Friedrich and thank goodness that was a back, LOL :D So - I'm still struggling along with mine and I'll post it when it is finished.

Tina

Hoofmama
06-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Dan, I'm impressed. Very nice. I too am late...have my underpainting and am now poised to begin the glazes...wish I knew what I was doing. I'm working on a 8x8 canvas, smallest I've ever worked (not that I've done much). Also trying it in acrylic.
Have a couple of questions for you. What size and type brushes did you use? I'm finding mine a pretty inadequate. Also, what type of underpainting? I'm pretty new to painting and this is a wonderful opportunity to experiment. Every day is a new day :D
Thanks, and :clap: :clap: :clap:

bjs0704
06-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Hoofmama - Toward the end, I was using watercolor rounds for detail work - sizes #1, 0, to 000.

ripper4
06-11-2004, 09:04 AM
I used hog bristle flats most of the time 1/8 " and some rounds.
When I finally got to the glazing and clean up I bought a cheap robert simmons craft liner synthetic very small but long hair 3/4".

Hope this helped

Don

Hoofmama
06-16-2004, 04:24 PM
A very late submission submitted for your amusement, and any C&Cs. Acrylic on canvas 8x8.

Boy, that was fun! I'm a fairly new painter and was looking for an excuse to try this technique. I learned a lot. It is rough, but I'm satisfied. Things I would do differently are: choosing a smoother surface for such a small work, using better brushes for the small detail, my drawing skills need improvement, and I should have taken more time on my underpainting. The quality of the underpainting really does influence the finished piece. As for the glazes, well, it was "seat of the pants" all the way. I thought, since I was learning about skintones, I would go ahead and try them all; hence, the diversity of muses.

Thanks to all for the wealth of information, advice and, of course, the opportunity to flex my wings.

Rosic
06-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Bravo! :clap: What a great idea!

I sure enjoyed seeing everyone put a piece of themselves in this one.

Bern

Hoofmama
06-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Rosic. I found your glazing with oils tutorial very helpful, BTW.

Biki
06-16-2004, 06:00 PM
hey Hoofmama - that is very cool. :clap: :clap: :clap:

guillot
06-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi Hoofmama - what a great idea that makes a beautiful statement in it's own right!! You did an excellent job! Hope to see you participating in the other MOM's as well.

Tina

artbabe21
06-16-2004, 07:35 PM
wow, terrific job Hoofmama! Like it a lot!! Stay with us now, you're hooked right? :)

Hoofmama
06-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Biki, Tina, Cathlene. Yup...I may be hooked. I hope it's ok that I'm using acrylics. I feel a little like I may have crashed the party. I find that copying a master work really expands my focus and abilities. I'm already looking at the Cezanne piece for June. I'm interested in learning a more impressionistic style with loose brushstrokes. This will be great practice.

dcorc
06-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Just a late update - finally got around to completing this :rolleyes: :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2004/30792-3graces5.jpg

Put in the jewellery, and adjusted details a bit - all done with a little watercolour brush like a needle, and very fluid paint - 7ins square.

Let's do a miniature next year! :evil:

Dave

guillot
06-27-2004, 09:57 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great going Dave. Everytime I put this one back on the easel, I look at it for a few minutes , and then I get stuck :(

Hoping the inspiration to complete it will come back to me.

Tina

artbabe21
06-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Terrific job Dave!! Good to finish at all, no worry about time!! Mine is still sitting & it's only a cropped version! :D

bjs0704
06-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Dave - They turned out really well! The overall color and the skin tones are lovely! Their faces are beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was surprised at how much I had to use the small watercolor rounds. But I guess that is the best way to do this style of oil painting.

I enjoyed this MOM so such that I have started a second one that focuses on the face of the grace on the far right. This time I am starting with a verdaccio underpainting. It’s going to be interesting to see if how the change of procedure affects things.

Rosic
06-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Great job Dave! :clap:

I personally want to thank you for all the help you have been to me through the MOM series! THANK YOU! I value our friendship.

Bern

dcorc
06-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Tina - I know that feeling of having had inspiration leave - remember Titian used to leave canvases with their faces turned to the wall for months on end, looking at them occasionally and putting them back :)

Cath - I've still got Feb's to complete, too :o

Barb - small watercolour rounds are definitely the way to go with this painting - I spent another afternoon wandering around the National Gallery with a friend last week. We looked at as many tightly painted small green (because the verdaccio underpaintings are showing through) tempera saints in the Sainsbury Wing 12-15thC as we could bear :) ("Ugghh - not another room full of 4in tall martians with golden space helmets", said Ben :D ). This painting strikes me as being close to those, so it would be interesting seeing it done from a verdaccio start.

Hoofmama - welcome - I hope you do stick with us, either in oils or acrylics (I'm a little disappointed a parallel acrylic series never took off)

Bern - thank you! I value all our friendships - the cameraderie of these MOMs is a very valuable aspect of them in it's own right. They are also a good practical way of studying a range of both compositional devices etc, and painting techniques, which might be of some use in our own paintings.

Dave

bjs0704
06-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Dave - As a result of doing MOM’s, I am finding that I need to rethink the brush sizes and types that I have been using. It is something that has bothered me for ages, but I never really knew what was wrong or why!
:cool: :cool:

When I was at the University, we were always expected to work big and bold. I rarely used anything smaller than a #8 flat. After graduating, I started to use smaller brushes to work in a more classical style - something like a #4 flat.

To do the Cezanne copy, I used a much smaller brush than I would have thought. For this, I had to go REALLY tiny. It’s SO NICE to see what there is to learn! :cool:

Your museum trip sounded like it was a lot of fun! I really like the medieval artwork. Since the overall formula is set, it is fun to see the slight variations from painting to painting. Some of the expressions are incredible! It can also have really odd details - St George regularly slays dragons the size of basset hounds! But I can also understand Ben’s point of view! “Martians in space helmuts” is a pretty good interpretation - I had always been told that they were wearing pie plates! :D

I am going to post my “Grace” separately as a WIP when I get a good picture of it!

bjs0704
07-09-2004, 03:00 PM
I decided to try a second painting based on this theme. This time I made a crop. In this version, I tried the same painting using a verdaccio underpainting.

Barb Solomon:cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2004/11410-grace7.jpg

jez_barracude
07-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Finished mine a couple of weeks ago - I never got round to photographing it again, and my camera died, so now I have scanned it directly.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2004/32755-finished_sm2.jpg
At least they don't look like Martians any more!
Jez

bjs0704
07-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Jez - They turned out great!