PDA

View Full Version : Achieving a brilliant black

Georgi
04-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and have been filling my time lately painting with acrylics and also drawing with pencils. I need to blend colours to achieve a deep, brilliant black for a particular project. Somewhere I read what colours to use but for the life of me can't find where I read about it. I need a deeper, more 'vibrant' black than what I presently have in the tube. Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Georgi

Enchanted
04-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Any ideas?

The most interesting black in terms you've asked, for me, is a mixture of pthalo green and alizarin crimson. I use this "black" for times when I need really dark shadows in a landscape with heavy foliage. My "other" favorite mixed black is burnt umber and either ultramarine blue, or for a more intense black, pthalo blue. You should also try combining other earth pigments with the deep blues. And keep in mind that any really intense tube color, when mixed with a complementary intense tube color (like the thalo blue and alizarin), will give you a "black" of some kind.

Georgi
04-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks, jaxas...for your prompt reply. I will do some experimenting to see what I can come up with :)

Georgi