PDA

View Full Version : First posting - I need lots of help

SwitzerS
04-30-2004, 08:13 PM
What a wonderful site! I have been looking and lurking for a while, and finally decided I could be brave...I can - I can - I hope I can.....
I would love for you to look at my painting and tell me how I can make it better...I am trying to learn how to paint after 50 years of thinking there was no way I could do it. But oh boy, is it fun!!
I appreciate any and all help and comments you have....thanks muches.

ExpressiveAngie
04-30-2004, 09:56 PM
I am too new to acrylics to offer help...I just want to say WeLcOmE! :)

surreal
04-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi Sylvia,
Welcome to Wetcanvas and to the Acrylics forum!!!
:D

I am glad that you decided to take the plunge and post your painting.

Your choice of colors is great.

I love the softness you have achieved in the rendition of the foliage.

I don't want to critique your work - just enjoy the lovely scene!

Continue painting and having fun.
:)

gnu
04-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Sylvia it's a wonderful start!! you have done the colours well, the flower detail is so good, beginner or not!! :clap: :clap:
My only suggestion is to start another couple of flowers from 'below' the painting, so that you have part of a flower leading you into the scene..
even a 1/4 of a pink flower somewhere in front of the two on your canvas,doesn't matter if it overlaps one of the existing ones..better probably, a tip of a blue one somewhere between the large blue and pink(not exactly in the middle :) )...and some tiny spots of dark pink dotted off to the distance to suggest more of the pink ones..this will unify your painting even more..the blue does this well already, but I bet there were more than 2 pink flowers in the field??
You can go to lots of places here on WC for different advice, colour/composition/open critique, as well of course, as the medium you work in, like acrylics..
You should be really pleased with this painting, you have a handle already, I think , on colour and drawing/brush skills...
have heaps of fun, and I look forward to seeing more!!
Gill

katz
04-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Welcome,
The first post is always a big step. Just view and read the posts and you will learn alot. I'm glad you are having fun. This is a good start.
Gay

SwitzerS
04-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, PastelMama, surreal, Gill and Gay
Gill - thanks for your advice - I will try that. I was a little afraid that if I added more it would make it too busy - but I see your points. I painted another similar before that I wasn't happy with the Indian paintbrushes, but liked everything else. I am going to see if I can rescue it. They may both be frameable if I can follow directions well enough...... :D

gnu
05-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Hey Sylivia..you're welcome :)
Had another useful thought for you..if you're ever uncertain about whether your additions will work..try placing acetate, or tracing paper over your painting and roughly paint or draw on the paper..to see if you're happy with your additions...saved me many a heartache, esp at the beginning..

Luka
05-01-2004, 03:08 AM
Hey Sylivia..you're welcome :)
Had another useful thought for you..if you're ever uncertain about whether your additions will work..try placing acetate, or tracing paper over your painting and roughly paint or draw on the paper..to see if you're happy with your additions...saved me many a heartache, esp at the beginning..

When working with an acrylic painting, you can tape saran wrap on the painting, and paint on the saran wrap.

(Wait until the painting is dry, of course ;) )

cunparis
05-01-2004, 03:33 AM
I appreciate any and all help and comments you have....thanks muches.

How long have you been painting? I really like it, I think you're off to a great start. One thing I noticed is that there could be more atmospheric perspective. The colors don't become more grey in the distance. I think that would make it more realistic. But of course that depends on your goal, and if you *want* it to be realistic? Anyway, here is a link that may help you out:

Sovek's Color and Atmosphere (http://www.sovek.com/view/basics/color/08.htm)

I highly recommend his book, 'Oil Painting'. He clearly states the techniques apply to any opaque medium, acrylic included.

Michael

Bertoni
05-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Michael:
I thank you very much for mentioning Charles Sovek's work!
His style of painting in acrylics is truly wonderful! WOW!:clap:

cunparis
05-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Michael:
I thank you very much for mentioning Charles Sovek's work!
His style of painting in acrylics is truly wonderful! WOW!:clap:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. His website is a great resource. I love to look at his paintings, and his lessons and articles are great. He's been inspiring me for many months now. It's amazing how much he has done to teach others. He started out as a teacher and what a wonderful teacher he is!

Michael

SwitzerS
05-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Oh my, such wonderful ideas to wake up to...Looks like Sovek has a very complete and informative web site. Thanks for the link.
Great ideas Luka and Gill.
Michael, I first picked up a paintbrush a little less than 3 years ago - but I did it with a bang and painted huge! I did a very rough mural on my bedroom wall! And thank goodness I can see some improvement since then. I don't get to paint near as much as I like, with life getting in the way (a job and family). I've painted a few oils, then, since I didn't have a place to do that safely (we had a grandbaby move in the house with us - plus his parents, then his older uncle - in other words I got a houseful - it is back to just 4 people most of the time), I switched to acrylics, and started doing decorative type painting (that also helps pay for some of this addiction :) ). I have just in the last few weeks realized that I could use acrylics on canvas, and hopefully get some results I like. Besides it dries soooooo much faster. :)
Okay, enough background....lol......Michael I know what you are saying about the depth and atmosphere, etc., but how do I get that without ruining the colors??? Can I just paint a haze over the paint in the distance? Do I thin some gray and wash it or what? Would a misty look work? The picture I am working from was taken in the bright afternoon sunlight.
LOL can you tell the grand baby is still asleep this morning? We got him for the weekend, so I may not get to paint at all, but at least I am preparing to paint some as soon as possible.

cunparis
05-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Okay, enough background....lol......Michael I know what you are saying about the depth and atmosphere, etc., but how do I get that without ruining the colors??? Can I just paint a haze over the paint in the distance? Do I thin some gray and wash it or what? Would a misty look work? The picture I am working from was taken in the bright afternoon sunlight.
LOL can you tell the grand baby is still asleep this morning? We got him for the weekend, so I may not get to paint at all, but at least I am preparing to paint some as soon as possible.

Sovek's book "Oil Painting: Develop Your Natural Ability" has a chapter on "mixing colorful greys". The exercise consists of mixing various greys using colors (not black & white). See my attached image, that was one of them. The goal was to grey the colors. Basically, you can grey a color by adding it's complement. So for a green tree far away, you can add a touch of red. Try playing around with that idea on a scrap piece of paper.

I don't want to sound like an expert on this, I can post a painting I did last weekend and you could say the same comment about my painting! It's not easy. I get carried away painting and I forget the fundamentals. Anyway, Sovek's book has lots of exercises that teach little things like that. When you put them all together you end up with a painting that really looks good. I'm not there yet but I'm heading in the right direction! ;)

Michael

PS: I recently switched from oils to acrylics and one main reason was the safety factor. The other was oils take 4+ weeks to dry in my humid apartment. I love cleaning up with water and not having dangerous chemicals, so I understand what you mean.