PDA

View Full Version : Courtney and her butterfly

lismith
09-09-2001, 08:27 PM
from a photo taken at the butterfly conservatory in Niagara Falls

dollardays
09-11-2001, 08:42 AM
This is such a wonderful painting. The tender curve of her cheek, her concentration on the butterfly, and the background. Beautiful composition and focus. I can't say enough good things!! Thank you for posting it here. :)

Nora

lismith
09-11-2001, 09:08 AM
Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Nora :)

I am excited about learning to use pastels. Still struggling a bit with getting discouraged :( ...but I'm making more progress with pastel than I ever did with oils, and this time I'm not giving up :)

I'm attaching the photo this was done from... the proportions are off but I said 'good enough!' ;)

dollardays
09-12-2001, 07:18 AM
Hi lis-

I wouldn't worry too much about the proportions being off as long as it looks "right" to you. They look fine to me. What's important (I think) is you didn't copy the photo exactly and try to make it look like a photograph. It looks painterly and you have blurred the background nicely, leaving the girl and butterfly as the focus. Your own interpretation of the photo made the painting much better than the reference. :)

I'm also new to pastels but have found them a great medium to experiment with diffferent techniques. Post some more!

Nora

Ohju
09-12-2001, 10:06 PM
Wow...I don't think the porportions are off. I like the way you took off the hat and did her hair! Also the background is an excellent thought! This is really nice. Stand proud and do more!! :D

yogi
09-14-2001, 05:06 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!

Lulu
09-16-2001, 05:36 AM
What an absolute delight and feast for my eyes! Don't ever ever feel discouraged, please! I just love it.

ptantono
09-16-2001, 09:36 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I love this very much. I think you did very well with pastel. I am at this moment struggling with oil. I cant paint small leaf as I want to, doesnt look natural. :D You should be proud on this and I agree with Nora. :clap: :clap: :clap:

stealth
10-01-2001, 08:42 PM
great job,nice blending used here and the hair looks real,i like your use of color ,excellent.:D

Bobbie
10-02-2001, 12:35 AM
She is beautiful and painted beautifully. I would love to reach out and touch her lovely face.

lismith
10-02-2001, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I needed it :D

I started a pastel on the 10th but after all that's happened I haven't worked on it since... going to try to finish it today. Does anybody else have as much trouble as I do with finishing things? I guess I have a short attention span.. if I don't finish it in a few hours chances are it'll NEVER be finished! lol

Anna Marie
10-02-2001, 04:52 PM
:cool:
I have just seen your pastel and the photo you took it from Brilliant!
I am just getting to the same stage I find my pastel paintings go through 3 phases.
1. I start a new project put colour on paper and then get very excited.
2. I am frightened to spoil it and get to the point where I hate it and I have wasted pastel and paper.
3. I leave it alone and come back and suddenly I can fix it and its alright again.

I think your picture shows that you have a little bit of Magic inside and it is good to see that pastel painting doesnt have to look as if a Herd of Buffalo have moved across the paper.

lismith
10-02-2001, 05:49 PM
Anna Marie, you are so right! You just described what goes through my mind perfectly, except I mostly get stuck on #2 and hardly ever make it to #3, lol. If I could just skip #2 altogether I might finish more projects! :p