PDA

View Full Version : Rods Magnolia

Roun2it
04-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi, my first visit here, so let me introduce myself, I'm Kev, and I'm pleased to met you all.

I have come with a gift. Here is my very first acrylic, I normally do watercolour although I have dabbled with pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2004/23314-acrylic_magnolia1.jpg

C&C's are very welcome. It is 14inx10in on 140lb watercolour paper. I used Reeves paints.................I know don't all shout at once, they were cheap and I've spent a fortune on watercolour stuff. I just wanted to try it out to see if I liked it.

Anyway the painting is from a lesson that Rod (one of the moderators in the watercolour forum did) I did the lesson a while back and thought that it would be a good idea to paint something familiar for my first try.

It is supposed to have a plain background but I was just playing around. Anyway I liked it so I have gone out and bought some WN artists paints and will have another bash.

I do need help though, are there any threads you guys have saved that are of interest to newbies like me.

.......................and I have one question, people mention wood and hardboard grounds, can I use MDF?

ExpressiveAngie
04-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Hi Kev, I dont have a clue as to the questions you asked :p because I am kinda new to acrylics also, just wanted to say welcome.

Charlie's Mum
04-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Hi Kev - from a very wet Tyneside!
Can't see any reason why you can't use MDF - I like it better than hardboard - prime the same way and off you go! :D
PS - sorry, thanks for the flower! It's very bold and an unusual setting for a magnolia - well, most of them are in urban gardens that I see!!!
How did you cope with blending - different from wcs ain't it?!
Look forward to seeing more. :)

terriv
04-29-2004, 07:18 PM
From the land of Magnolias....WHAT kind of flower is that???
(That is no ordinary Southern Magnolia.)

Welcome! I haven't been here long either, but I'm enthusiastic!

joannd
04-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Very nice!! I LIKE IT!!
JoAnn

Roun2it
04-30-2004, 03:11 AM
Hi all and thanks for looking and commenting.

Maureen thanks for the reply about MDF, I just thought that if I were to round over the edge with a router and the paint, the need for framing vanishes, along with the cost. And YES blending is nothing like watercolour.

Terri the magnolia is based on a lesson from Rob Webb, he hails from New Zealand. The lesson can be seen here. HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Watercolors/RodWebb/Magnolias/)

Marty C
04-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Hi Kev,
Nice work, good strong colour making a bold statement. I'm glad you have been sufficiently inspired to continue with acrylics, once mastered they are very satisfying. Blending seems to be the hardest obstacle but as in anything practice makes perfect.
In relation to MDF, I used it for the first two years I painted as it was cheap and easy to obtain. Some people apply gesso to both sides to avoid warping. Larger sizes need reinforcing on the back to avoid warping. I'm not sure as to the archival properties but I suspect it to be less than masonite, but if you are not after museum quality then don't worry too much. I use canvas now due to it's much lighter weight for the equivalent size and if using gallery wrap no frame is required.

Roun2it
04-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks Marty, as a person who has only used paper to paint on I must ask the question, 'What on earth is gallery wrap'.

Marty C
04-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi Kev,
Gallery wrap canvas is canvas stretched over a wooden frame (a stretcher is the pro version, it can be re-tensioned to remove any wrinkles which appear over time) or a stressor which is what I normally use. The edges can be and often are painted so that no framing is required. I have done an article in studio tips on how to make and prepare one. You can find it on this thread if you are interested.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/16809/403/

Roun2it
04-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Great, thanks Marty, that looks great, pop it striaght into my favorites.

I just luv this place.