PDA

View Full Version : Images in the Reference Library

Shari
04-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Are all the images in our reference library here at wetcanvas copyright free? I have been looking through the pics and I would like to try to paint some, but if it comes out good and someone wants to buy it, is that okay?

Shari

Deborah Secor
04-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Shari, it's my understanding that the images are available for you to use copyright-free, however you should be aware that some of them may have been published before so it's always best to try to find the person who put it there and just make sure it's all right to use. I think technically it is, but it's also nice for folks to know you like what they've shared and to let them know you're using it.

Deborah

chestie
04-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Don't know what copyright free means in the legal sense. As far as I understand, the person who took the photo owns the copyright and is giving wetcanvas members permision to use it as a reference to create other art work from it, and sell the art work, if you want.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/help/question.php?qstId=70
http://www.wetcanvas.com/help/question.php?qstId=69

http://www.wetcanvas.com/help/question.php?qstId=68

This third link is confusing to me. First it says the pictures are in the public domain, which the dictionary definition is "property rights that are held by the public at large", then, to me, it contradicts it by saying "the sole ownership of each image remains with the person who uploaded it to the library"

Khadres
04-29-2004, 11:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/help/question.php?qstId=68

This third link is confusing to me. First it says the pictures are in the public domain, which the dictionary definition is "property rights that are held by the public at large", then, to me, it contradicts it by saying "the sole ownership of each image remains with the person who uploaded it to the library"

I think all that means is that the images are "public domain" in the sense that there is no charge attached to using them as reference, etc. but, at the same time, you couldn't take one out of the library and sell it yourself for, say, a magazine cover or whatever....THAT right would belong to the person who took/uploaded the image. That sounds sensible to me. In other words, you can't pass yourself off as the photographer/owner of these images. You may USE them for art purposes, but the photographer still owns the original image.

As far as "copyright-free"...all that means is that if you do use an image as a reference, you won't be violating the photographer's copyright because he/she has tacitly given permission for such use when they upload the image. I still agree with Dee....it's nice, if you use an image and your painting comes out well, to let the contributor know and to thank them for their efforts on WC!'s behalf.

Deborah Secor
04-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Chestie-- Thanks so much for these references! I'm going to bookmark them because this question comes up all the time.

I don't think sole ownership of the image contradicts the general use policy. It makes it clear that the photo still belongs to the artist. So you cannot, then, print and sell it as a photograph...but if you paint from it you can.

Deborah

Shari
04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks for clearing this up for me! Chestie, the references answered it perfectly. I don't know how you found those links, but they are nice and clear!! Sometimes there is no name attached to an image and no way to find out who posted it. There are some beautiful reference photos posted of places I may probably never see in peson and I am grateful to have access to these.

Thanks, Shari

Dyin
04-29-2004, 01:27 PM
It's really nice to hear and get a link when someone uses your references...I was quite tickled to see the results. I know I mentioned copy-right free in another thread...I should have been more specific. I also usually try to create something a lot different from the reference, different crop, color choices, etc so that I do feel it is my interpretation of the photo. I think the ref library is a real wonderful source for a muse!