PDA

View Full Version : Carina Residency on Monhegan Island

rob p
04-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Monhegan Artists' Residency Corporation
Monhegan, ME 04852

For Immediate Release

Artists Sasha White and Robert Pollien (http://www.pollien.com)
chosen for Carina Residencies on Monhegan Island
The Monhegan Artists’ Residency Corporation has announced that two Maine artists, Sasha M. White of Rockland and Robert L. Pollien of Mount Desert, have been chosen for the Carina Residency on Monhegan Island this summer.

“The artists we’ve chosen seem to have a strong connection to the elements and to the unique situation of Monhegan Island,” said the judges for this year’s competition. “Both are on a level now where Monhegan will draw out new inspiration to new work.”

The Carina Residency gives two artists each year the opportunity to live and work on Monhegan, an island of unparalleled natural beauty and drama and home to artists for over a century. Entry is open only to Maine residents and is aimed at emerging visual artists. The residency provides an apartment with studio for five weeks to each artist.

Rockland artist Sasha M. White submitted her work of artist’s books, which included drawing, painting and cut paper.

“Sasha’s work has a poetic simplicity to it, a meditative aesthetic,” the judges said.

White’s letter, submitted with her entry, spelled out her hopes for the residency. “The work would be a visual meditation on the social, mental, physical effects of water on human culture, while also exploring the qualities of water itself: seeping, flow, leakage, wear, power, changeability,” she wrote.

White will have the first residency, May 28 to July 1.

Painter Robert L. Pollien’s (http://www.pollien.com) oil paintings of seascape details impressed the jury. “It’s not picturesque; it’s fragments of a landscape instead of the totality of a landscape,” they said.

Pollien wrote in his entry, “My interest is in painting areas where land and water meet. Landscape painting as I understand it, is the point where one’s inner dialogue encounters the exterior, visible world. I am eager to come to know the Monhegan landscape.”

Pollien’s residency will be July 6 to August 8.

Reviewers for this year’s applicants are Mark Bessire, Director, Bates College Museum in Lewiston, ME; Alison Hildreth, painter and printmaker from Portland, ME; and Carl Little, Director of Communications and Marketing, The Maine Community Foundation, Ellsworth, ME.

Bessire is a former director of the Institute of Contemporary Art, Maine College of Art in Portland, and curator for William Pope. L. and “Terrain: Sculpture Today” exhibitions at the Institute of Contemporary Art. He is also editor of “William Pope. L: Eracism,” (MIT Press, 2000) and “From Middle Kingdom to Biological Millennium” (MIT Press, 2001).

Hildreth’s work has been the subject of one-person exhibitions at the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, ME, the Fitzpatrick Gallery in Portland, and the North American Print Show.

Little is a former director of The Blum Art Gallery, College of the Atlantic, in Bar Harbor, ME; a freelance writer for “Art in America” and “Art New England;” and author of ten books, the latest being the forthcoming “The Art of Monhegan Island.”

Jurors also chose two Honorable Mentions: Cynthia Davis of South Harpswell and David Kareken of Poland.

The Monhegan Artists’ Residency Corporation is a 501c3 organization supported by individual donors with the support and cooperation of the Farnsworth Art Museum.

For more information about the Carina Residency, including samples of work by past residents, see the web site for the Monhegan Artists Residency Corporation at www.monhegan.com/marc/

CarlyHardy
04-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Rob,
Congratulations!!!!

I have friends who have painted on Monhegan Island and they rave on and on about how beautiful and inspirational it is. I know this will be an exciting adventure and a summer to remember!
carly

stalksthedawn
06-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Rob! Congrats!

I will be visiting Monhegan Island for a weekend this August! maybe I'll see you there lol.

JeffG
06-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Rob, I have to say that I really like your paintings. This is a well deserved honor and I hope you'll share the pieces that you get out of your residency.

You also have a very nice site and it is inspiring to hear of your comeback from your accident.

rob p
06-10-2004, 08:01 PM
thanks v much JeffG. I will post updates on pollien.com (http://pollien.com) when able.
No phone, thus no internet while on the island...
Peaceful.
Coming back from having a brain injury has been a long, strange journey. Painting again involved re-learning a bit, and there have been some worries, but it's good to be back at it.
Rob