PDA

View Full Version : female nude (wip)

montreal painter
04-28-2004, 02:38 PM
hello everyone,

This is a piece I'm working on at our atelier in montreal. I have spent 15 hours on it so far. It is painted on a 5' by 2.5' wooden panel in oil paint. The first two images are of the first sitting where I did the drawing direct with raw umber - painting alla prima in the lights. the second two are after 6 hours.
Let me know what you think!

eric
www.atelierdebresoles.com

montreal painter
04-28-2004, 02:47 PM
hello again,

these are images of the painting after 12 hours and then I spent three hours on the head. I will spend some time on the hands and feet next.

eric

Matt Sammekull
04-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi.

Great of you to share this with us!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting the popcorn!!!!! Will follow you every step of the way.

Looking good so far. I love your warm shadows... the reds... you could probably fry an egg on her hip.

Oh, - and couldn't you use the uploader in the future? That way, we all see your images as we post our replies.

Cheers,

//matt

Titanium
04-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Eric,
beautiful use of the light and shadow pattern
[or the bedbug line if you prefer.]

Watching and enjoying.
Thanks for showing.
Titanium

siberart
04-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share...very effective use of light bounce plus everything else is so well executed. Sitting in the front row waiting for more... :clap:

Classical Vince
04-29-2004, 02:54 AM
I'll 2nd Matts thanks too. Great to see the wip; the piece is coming along beautifully. How many more model sessions/hours will you have for this?

artmom
04-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Thank you for sharing this with us in the form of a WIP!

I'm settling in, and have a pot of tea with me -- Assam Superb. Anyone care for a cup? :)

It is fascinating to watch the emergence of form and planes.

Lyn

Biki
04-29-2004, 04:45 AM
Thank you for sharing this with us in the form of a WIP!

I'm settling in, and have a pot of tea with me -- Assam Superb. Anyone care for a cup? :)

It is fascinating to watch the emergence of form and planes.

Lyn

I'll share a cup with you Lyn. :D - I'm watching too.
Don't you just LOVE this forum.!!??
Such inspiration!!

thank you.

dcorc
04-29-2004, 09:33 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting the popcorn!!!!!

Now there's a new euphemism to remember! :D

:evil: Dave

Linarty
05-08-2004, 04:27 AM
What has been happening? Where are the updates? I want to see more!

Linda

siberart
05-08-2004, 12:12 PM
What has been happening? Where are the updates? I want to see more!

Linda

Ditto!

montreal painter
05-09-2004, 10:56 PM
hello everyone!

Thanks for all your feedback! I have just completed another 3 hour session with the model. In this session, I repainted the light mass of the torso and head with a translucent cool layer. This was painted with various earth pigments, cobalt blue, naples yellow, and lead white. The medium was ventetian turpentine, stand oil, and turpentine - all in equal parts - but then thinned out with additional turpentine until optimum viscosity is achieved.
I repainted the reflected light with opaque paint and tightened up the drawing
overall. The next session I will focus on the hands and feet and start painting the background. I try to alternate warm and cool in each layer of paint. I appreciate the feedback!

eric

turlogh
05-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all your feedback!
This is really gorgeous. It's nice to have a model hold one pose for so many sessions.

I can only suggest that the illusion of reality might be enhanced if you were to put a little more emphasis on reflected lights.

I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

montreal painter
06-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Turlogh - I took your advice and worked on the reflected light - thanks for your comments! - the last images are of the piece after 24 hours. Tonight I am painting again for another 3 hours and I will work on the details. I am going to work on the background for a while and then return to the model once the background is resolved. I am using Canada balsam, stand oil, and turpentine in equal measures. (thinning with additional turp) I'll post the results tomorrow.

eric mannella

KingCrimson
06-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Oh good Eric,I'd thought we lost you! ;)
Just wanted to say this is coming along beautifully,glad to see you back at it! :)

LadyJane65
06-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Oh my, missed this the first time around. Looking forward to the finish.

LJ

Joe Rucker
06-15-2004, 02:59 AM
Let me know what you think!
eric
Love the strong geometry. Overall it looks great. :clap: I wish I could see it in person so that I could look at the background to see how you have treated it. I noticed one thing that looks like it might be off kilter. It looks like the bellybutton is of to the left but should be further to the right. Perhaps it is my confusion due to the close ups but I included an airbrush to show what I am thinking. I indicated where I thought it might be with a blue arrow. Sorry about the bad touch up job. I hope that helps. Sorry if it does not. Maybe it is fine. HmmmÖ
Again, I love the geometry, it feels like the model actually has a bone structure in her.
I really like how this is coming along.
Great stuff; thanks for sharing. :clap:

uno
06-15-2004, 11:51 AM
No offense Joe, but i think your reassessment of the belly button location is inaccurate. In the original the navel lines up with the center line of the body like it is supposed to.

Joe Rucker
06-15-2004, 02:38 PM
No offense Joe, but i think your reassessment of the belly button location is inaccurate. In the original the navel lines up with the center line of the body like it is supposed to.
None taken. :) I still think something is off here. Maybe itís not the bellybutton but something is off. I drew a blue line below where the centerline seems to be. What do you think? I wish I could get montreal painterís opinion on this too.

montreal painter
06-16-2004, 02:23 PM
hello!
I haven't been around for a few days and I just checked out these comments.
I think joe has a really good point - in many ways - I definitely tipped the pelvis and gave it a slight twist from the rib cage but the linea alba (centre of abs) is straight - this doesn't describe the action! and I agree that the navel should go over to the model's left to create more of an oblique in relation to the viewer - now it is too frontal - moving it creates the proper symmetry in relation to the anterior superior iliac spine (asis) I will fix this immediately and post it soon! thankyou for pointing that out - movement and symmetry should always be constantly assessed! Here are some recent images after 28 hours. I will get to the background next before finishing the figure. Thanks again for the insight.
eric

Joe Rucker
06-16-2004, 02:49 PM
hello!
I haven't been around for a few days and I just checked out these comments.
I think joe has a really good point - in many ways - I definitely tipped the pelvis and gave it a slight twist from the rib cage but the linea alba (centre of abs) is straight - this doesn't describe the action! and I agree that the navel should go over to the model's left to create more of an oblique in relation to the viewer - now it is too frontal - moving it creates the proper symmetry in relation to the anterior superior iliac spine (asis) I will fix this immediately and post it soon! thankyou for pointing that out - movement and symmetry should always be constantly assessed! Here are some recent images after 28 hours. I will get to the background next before finishing the figure. Thanks again for the insight.
eric
Thanks for the confidence and thank you for articulating what I could not put my finger on. I knew something was off I just did not know how to describe it in the manner that you did. Again, this is beautiful work and Iím loving the progression. :clap: I look forward to the next update. :) :)

artbabe21
06-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks for sharing this WIP...:)
It's inspiring to watch...hey Matt, toss me some popcorn!

Joe, good eye...I saw it too, I'm unfortunately know as 'transit eye'. I see things even a teeny bit off (not always on my own work) and it makes me crazy. I'm always straightening everyone's pictures on their walls!