PDA

View Full Version : Prepare wood surface and protect paint outdoors?

BadMange
04-28-2004, 08:15 AM
For a mother's day gift, my mom asked me to paint her something on an antique wood headboard to display in her garden. I have no idea how I should prepare the surface of the wood (she likes the peeling paint but I told her that the acrylic would peel right off with it), or seal the paint afterwards for protection. It will be permanently outside in a Chicago backyard (2 seasons, winter and construction!), and money is an limiting factor. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Bad Mange

coherent
04-28-2004, 10:50 AM
there are a lot of good polyurathane clear coat products that should do just fine. Many are acrylic based so shouldn't affect your acrylic paints underneath. If in doubt, test on a small edge before you coat the entire art piece. I'd head down the the local home depot or hardware paint supplier and get a good quality gloss (or satin if you want a more antique look) poly clear. Ask a knowledgeable salesperson or call the manufacturers help line (most all have them or even help/faqs online) and get something with uv protection that will protect the artwork from fading and more importantly, won't yellow. Another option is to call your local sign/airbrush mural artist and ask what they would recommend for your area, as they want their work to last and have experience in your specific climate/area with what you're refering to!
Good luck,
-Marc

BadMange
04-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks, I'll look into your suggestions. I use Liquitex, so I'll contact them first.

Any ideas on how to prepare the surface for painting? Like I said, it's an old wood headboard with peeling paint. I'll sand the side I'm going to paint, but I have no idea about gesso'ing it, or even if I can...

Laura G
04-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks, I'll look into your suggestions. I use Liquitex, so I'll contact them first.

Any ideas on how to prepare the surface for painting? Like I said, it's an old wood headboard with peeling paint. I'll sand the side I'm going to paint, but I have no idea about gesso'ing it, or even if I can...

I would mark the area I would be painting a design then scrape the peeling paint and sand. Apply a couple coats of gesso then paint with artists' acrylics. I wouldn't worry about any kind of clear coat. That wooden headboard is going to rot and disintegrate outdoors a lot quicker than the paint will.

I painted an outdoor sign with acrlylics. It was still in good shape when it was stolen ten years later.

BadMange
04-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks Laura & coherent, I think I'm good to go now! :clap: