PDA

View Full Version : mounting paper to board...

djstar
04-28-2004, 02:08 AM
I just learned the most amazing thing!
I have heard of steaming pastels to fix them but have, up to now, sort of hung my own pictures from hingy things behind a mat and called it done. I know my framer has little sticky sort of "rests" that the paper is not really glued to, just resting on, but this post over at ceninni sounds like something I will try to perfect.

It is using rice flour paste and (I think it is one of those "don't try this at home" sort of skills that I intend to pratice on a lot of disposable pieces before going for the gold....) dampening the back of the painting laid face down on a slick surface like waxed paper. The paste is applied to the edges only so the support has ventilation behind, for those in climates where mold is a problem, and the edges will not discolor and will release with steam for conservation!

Look it over if you want, HERE (http://www.studioproducts.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=1024)
I am into cheap and traditional. This makes a lot of sense.
dj*

Khadres
04-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Sounds very intriguing! If you try this, be sure and let us know how it goes! The bonus for rice flour would be that any leftover flour can be used to clean your pastels!

Artaholic
04-28-2004, 02:28 AM
That is very interesting. I have bought a sack of wheat paste which is used for wall paper and am wondering if I boiled it would I get the same results . I want to bond some velour paper to mat board :rolleyes: Well who knows all I can do is try. :p

Deborah Secor
04-28-2004, 12:49 PM
DJ, let us know how this works for you. I'd like to know which papers were used. I paint on Wallis, which is pretty heavyweight, and La Carte, which is not water-friendly in the least, so I'm curious! Also, do you have a recommendation for how to steam pastels--or does the moderator of that forum?

Thanks...

Deborah