PDA

View Full Version : A fun new way to make a necklace with a serger

Moth
04-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi guys!

Never saw this technique before, so thought I would share the link. If other people like it, maybe we should put it in the jewelry or fiber arts link threads. It would fit in either one!

The one in the project is made with buttons, but any beads and charms could be substituted. :clap:

Here is the link:
Button necklace made on a serger (http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ef_buttonnecklace.html)

~~Mary

debkauz
04-27-2004, 11:52 AM
I think this is beyond me but I love it! I sent the link to a friend who will do a great job with it. Thanks for the link.

Debbie

Moth
04-27-2004, 12:13 PM
I don't even have a serger! LOL

I have been thinking about how to adapt it for use on a sewing machine though and the best idea I have come up with so far is buying the silk ribbon that is used for embroidery, and using a wide zigzag stitch on a conventional sewing maching to encase the bead line, sewing right over it and adding beads/buttons/charms/whatever as you go.

Also could incorporate those eyelash fibers and specialty yarns in the process. Could come up with some very creative blends that way.

I just might have to try one of these. Hope someone else does too!

Debbie, if your friend ends up making one, please see if you can post a picture of it for us!

~~Mary

TheBlueBetween
04-27-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't even know what a serger does! LOL. My poor little sewing machine that I bought for $100 last fall to make my kid's cowboy costume... the second day I had it he grabbed a hold of the spool holder thingy and yanked and broke it right off. I've been waiting 3 months for it to come in off of back order now.... speaking of, it should be in - I'll have to call them.

Whatever a serger is, I'm sure my little machine is not up for the job. It does look interesting though - wish it showed a close up!

beclectic
04-27-2004, 02:12 PM
A serger is a special type of sewing machine. It does that stitch that has the overcast over the raw edge of a seam (almost like a blanket stitch). Look at the seam of any bought cloths and it probably has a serged seam. I know that some sergers actually cut the fabric even just before it surges, I'm not sure if this is a feature of all surgers or not. Anyway, I know people that have gone to classes for surging and can do all kinds of fancy stuff with their machines.

SuzyQ
04-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Great link! Now I know what to do with that serger I pick up at some garage sale :) Because now I'll be looking, lol.

Beads-Me!
04-27-2004, 02:34 PM
How cool is that? Almost makes me want to sew.....

lisilk
04-27-2004, 04:08 PM
That is cool. I'll add it to the jewlery...hm , fiber ( ? ) links.

Li

chuckie
04-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I wish there was a closeup of the strands. I'd like to see what they look like up close!

Char

sassybird
04-29-2004, 04:02 AM
It looks like a good idea, but machines and I do not get along....lol