PDA

View Full Version : Cobweb texture

jenrou
09-08-2001, 09:20 PM
Not sure where this belongs, although I also placed it in Sept. Sketchbooks/textures.

This is done using Halloween stretchy cobwebbing, stretched over your paper, tacked into place. Wet the cobwebbing, I sprayed it, then drip colors or inks onto cobweb/paper. Let dry thoroughly, all day or overnight. I tried using hair dryer, doesn't seem to work as well. The cobwebbing pulls the paint. In this experiment, I used watercolors.:p

Leaflin
09-08-2001, 09:27 PM
Hi Jean
I love this idea, and the outcome :)
Does it dry hard to the touch?

jenrou
09-08-2001, 09:45 PM
Hi leaflin,
I'm not sure I understand your question, but maybe I should have told you to take the cobwebbing off after it was dry. It pulls the paint from the paper similar to salt, and leaves the texture. I saw a girl in NY do one in all earth tones that once she matted it, it was a finished piece.
You thumbtack it to the sides of your paper, into a board or something to hold it in place until it is dried, then you remove the cobwebbing. It sticks a little to the paper, but comes off ok.
I tried to find the cobweb stuff this summer, but had to wait until the stores stocked for Haloween.
The upload to the texture projects didn't take, not sure why.:(:D

colorme
09-08-2001, 10:52 PM
it looks fun and reminds me of Tie-dye for some reason. I'm going to try it sometime. :)

jenrou
09-09-2001, 12:09 AM
It seems like a lot of trouble to me, but wanted to try it since I'd seen it done. I just used colors I thought might show up, not any planned thing. My scanner isn't working right now and the digital photos don't turn out very well (mine don't anyhow) of paintings, colors, etc.
Just throwing this out here , for whatever it's worth.:D

sassybird
09-17-2001, 09:10 PM
This is so cool ! I have played with that webbing, but never thought of doing what you did. I love the colors and texture of this piece. I think I am going to give this a try :)

Have you ever heard of the man back east that sprays real cob webs, and then places a board behind it to stick the web to? He uses different colored sprays and mostly black board, but sometimes different colors depending on if he uses a dark spray or not. It is so cool. I saw it in an art journal years ago.

jenrou
09-18-2001, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by sassybird
This is so cool ! I have played with that webbing, but never thought of doing what you did. I love the colors and texture of this piece. I think I am going to give this a try :)

Have you ever heard of the man back east that sprays real cob webs, and then places a board behind it to stick the web to? He uses different colored sprays and mostly black board, but sometimes different colors depending on if he uses a dark spray or not. It is so cool. I saw it in an art journal years ago.

Can't you just see all the purple and gold painted spiders early the next morning? Never mind, I'm wierd.

I got the 3 for $1.00 bags of webbing (can't find it unless it's Halloween time) and it wasn't as good as the old kind. Mine had some elastic or something in it. Anyhow, this was the first time I tried it, and I think I rushed it. If you let it dry a day or so by itself, it turns out better. The other girl who did it said that, and hers looked really good.:p

bug
09-18-2001, 04:50 PM
Great!:clap:
I really like this post some more!:)