PDA

View Full Version : Lavendar Orchids

jpope
09-08-2001, 08:52 PM
I try, I try, I try...just once I said I would paint something without loud garish colors. Pale lavendar orchids. Verging on white. Easy, right? Yeah. Then I got into this really neat effect that lush green foliage has when surrounding nearly colorless flowers...Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2001/lavorchids.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

crazi4art
09-09-2001, 11:49 AM
hey hey hey,
that is really good! i think that you are starting off really good. i like the lighter green. so far that is a great picture....
crazi

YLCIA
09-09-2001, 01:19 PM
They are very beautiful and really nothing garish about this one. I like it the way it is.I love your lavenders...
the background is not offensive, everything fine with me

Julia:)

vallarta
09-09-2001, 01:52 PM
The picture is fine. The distribution of the flowers and various shapes are well done. The only improvement I can suggest is to now glaze the painting making one flower stand out from the others. I would lighten the light passages and darken the darks. The background could be for the most part subdued to bring greater contrast between the main subject...(the flower in the light) and the background.

You can glaze with acrylics or oils....but once having put oils on the canvas you cannot return to acrylics unless it is very very dry and seperated with a coat of acrylic medium/

vallarta

jpope
09-09-2001, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your comments, Guys! Will ruminate about this one a while.;)

Einion
09-09-2001, 09:41 PM
Looks great! Nothing garish about it to me either and it has a lovely 'art-deco' quality I really like. What size is it BTW?

Einion

jpope
09-09-2001, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Einion!! It's kind of small by my standards...12" X 16". (I got bored with the big complicated ones and tried a few small paintings to break things up.

dcheek
09-10-2001, 01:32 AM
I like it like that....Making one pop out as a center of interest may work, but I like as it stands now. If you try anything, maybe do it in photoshop first.

jpope
09-10-2001, 05:42 PM
Thanks, Dan! I keep forgetting I can use all those expensive little computer programs I bought to experiment after painting, and not just before!:)

bug
09-10-2001, 08:19 PM
Totally beautiful work! Your just too much of a critic about your own work, I think we are all like that. :D Thanks for sharing I really enjoy seeing your work.

jpope
09-10-2001, 09:22 PM
Muchas Gracias, Bug!!:D

tammy
10-04-2001, 01:03 AM
These are very nice. You have handled this with very good Artist techniques. It may not have ended up as what you first set out to do but it has become a very well planned painting even if if was planned as you went along. I guess I'm saying that sometimes we must follow the path our brush is taking us even if it was not what we first had in mind. Very good painting.

jpope
10-04-2001, 11:34 PM
Thank you for putting into words that vague feeling I have about some of my paintings. I think we all have an initial "vision" of a painting we want to create, but when we pick up the brushes, they sometimes take over and paint the painting that was meant to be instead. Maybe this was one. I don't know. It hangs in my office and makes me feel alive when I see it. The colors catch my eye, the mood seems clarifying when things are chaotic. It has grown on me immensely within the last few weeks. Thank you for helping!:)

hannaHLitz
10-05-2001, 08:10 PM
awesome! i always have loved the lavender/green combination in a painting. keep it up!

tammy
10-05-2001, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by jpope
Thank you for putting into words that vague feeling I have about some of my paintings. )

You are so welcome! :)

jpope
10-06-2001, 12:27 AM
Thanks, guys!!:)

Sumafra
10-06-2001, 01:58 AM
Beautiful painting. I like it A LOT.

:clap: :clap:

jpope
10-08-2001, 12:28 AM
Thank you so much, Sumafra! Am always happy to get feedback.:D

auntie_chaos
10-23-2001, 07:56 PM
I like this one the way it is! I love the lavendars. And orchids are such a beautiful flower. Thanx for sharing this work of art!

amanda
10-24-2001, 12:27 AM
really beautiful, I love those greens!

jpope
10-24-2001, 12:49 AM
Thanks so much Cheryl and Amanda!! I'm beginning to get rather attached to this little painting. :D