PDA

View Full Version : "On the Wind"

2003maryann
04-26-2004, 11:44 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2004/20472-thumnail_acrylic_On_the_wind_part_2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2004/20472-OIL__thumbnailacrylic_On_the_Wind_pt_1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2004/20472-thumbnail_Black__White_ON_the_wind.jpg
I saw this black and white picture of a boat on the wind and it reminded me of the many sailboats I see here in Grenada. Winds are easterly and he is heading for the land which would make him close hauled so I used his sailing vessle and sail and created a boat heading home when the skies looked threatening. i never used a yellow or(green, a no no in the sky, I thought) green but i did and also the effect of raining on the left hand side, All comments are welcome, didn't provide to much rigging. The man in the boat a bit stiff but at first i had his back to us then i thought it would be better to show him sitting sideways. What do you think/
This is acrylic on a board 10 by 12. Part one and Part two was scanned so you could see the entire sky.
2003maryann

artistodon
04-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi Maryann,
I really love this. What you did with the colors in the sky really work well. Very brave and creative of you. The rain is really a nice touch. It gives energy and validation to the mood you were trying to capture. Your composition is superb. Bravo girl!

Don :)

Yax
04-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Very impressive painting. Your colors are fantastic. Yax

Diane Cutter
04-27-2004, 06:57 AM
This is very nicely done. You've caught the angle well. And your impending rain looks fantastic. I just know he's going to get some wet. The only place I think needs a little adjustment (so that it will be perfect) is the transom. The left side of the transom seems a little short. I think just moving the rudder just a hair to the right would help out.

Lovely work,
Diane

brrice
04-27-2004, 09:24 PM
[IMG]
Winds are easterly and he is heading for the land which would make him close hauled so I used his sailing vessle and sail and created a boat heading home when the skies looked threatening. i never used a yellow or(green, a no no in the sky, I thought) green but i did and also the effect of raining on the left hand side,
2003maryann

This is well done . It reminds me of some impressionistic paintings I have seen. The sky is great;I have never been to the tropics before but you seem to have captured a very warm atmosphere. You can imagine the rain coming will be warm. Its not a threatening sky. I have used black and white photos (1935 Flower sack sails in this marine forum )before as my reference photo and the good thing about that is we are forsed to be more creative. This is overall a great painting but I especialy like the sky.

laudesan
04-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Great!!!! I love the mood of this painting too!!!!

ripvanblair
04-28-2004, 05:06 AM
Great stuff You've captured a great feeing of movement in this one, really fresh breeze--------well done--------Alan

Marty C
04-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi Maryann,
Congratulations on your decisions with colour, the fact they are in all parts of the work have served to unify it beautifully. I also agree with Dianne, the transom is not quite even. It looks like the boat experts are visiting the marine forum and contributing their knowledge, as I hoped they would!

2003maryann
04-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Thank you all for your observations, favorable comments and yes I agree the rudder should be in the middle of the transom. I don't know why I didn't see it before I scanned and presented it to you. Because he is close hauled I had him hold the tiller towards him since he is on a starboard tack. I may try to correct this or do another one. Acrylic is harder to go over just like watercolors. Any suggestions.
2003maryann

gsb55
04-28-2004, 05:45 PM
I really like this. I'm glad you turned him around, you captured the feeling of trying to beat the storm to port, somthing every sailor knows well.

2003maryann
04-29-2004, 12:16 PM
You are right, I 've been there done that myself. Glad to hear from you.
Right now in Grenada, it is raining, in fact, it hasn't stopped raining, and this is suppose to be the dry season. /We just got an extension to stay in Grenada a few more months but really we will have to leave to go to Trinidad after we receive our mail that has the documentation for the boat. A plane to catch come August, so many things to think about.
2003maryann

imagenie
04-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Love your painting Mary Ann.. Have to say you're making me sooo jealous. Awhile back I cruised the islands a few times on extended vacations. One trip we sailed from St. Vincent, to the Grenadines than to Granada.... Nothing I would rather do. Have you been to Antigua for race week??? It's great, if you can handle partying for a week !!! I managed to have a great time, went 3 times in the 80's. Would proably kill me now. ;)

2003maryann
04-30-2004, 11:17 AM
I have been to antiqua but arrived at the end of the sail week last year. I don't drink so I can stay up all night and always am ready to party, dance or whatever. Grenada also has its regattas and I just did a painting called Hiking out in Grenada/ It has been fun to try to capture what we see out here. I do love living on my boat. It has been keeping me young and I am always exploring new ideas and love all the people I meet. Come on back. Take another vacation and see the Caribbean. Weather right now has been quite wet but today a ray of sunshine peeked through and I left my rain gear on board.
Glad you enjoyed my painting. Thank you 2003maryann