PDA

View Full Version : 4-26 through 5-1 Weekly Chat

McDuck
04-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Okay, I didnt see a chat thread and if I missed it please merge for me.

I made 8 hand formed bicones and about 15 baby sea urchins last evening as I was feeling badly for not doing a darn thing in the studio all weekend. But my flower bed looks lovely and when it blooms I will post a pic! Working in the studio all day today, have a little work to do first on the computer, put in my copper order and blammo, it's fun in the studio for me!

does anyone sell beads to bead stores that would chime in on how they display the beads for wholesale. I have the lil black trays I was going to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Short of that, it's only gong to be 61 here today :mad: where is the warm weather? Hope you all have a wonderfully creative day!

-Mary

SuzyQ
04-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Good Morning Mary! and everyone else. I'm playing with clay today. I have to make 50 pendant blanks for my image transfer. I like doing it on a rainy day, it reminds me of baking cookies and I can just let my mind wander.

I need some help if any of you are good with words. I'm adding two new images to the pendant line (and dumping one dog :)), but can't seem to come up with the right little inspirational phrases. You can see what my line currently looks like here:
http://susansimages.com/jewelry/polymer_clay.cfm
The two new images are the one attached and a bright orangy/red poppy looking right at you. (I haven't taken the picture yet since my poppies haven't bloomed) For the poppy I'm looking for something that says "strut your stuff" and for the yellow flowers -perseverance. I'll take any ideas! Thanks.

gypsysoul
04-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Okay, I didnt see a chat thread and if I missed it please merge for me.

I made 8 hand formed bicones and about 15 baby sea urchins last evening as I was feeling badly for not doing a darn thing in the studio all weekend. But my flower bed looks lovely and when it blooms I will post a pic! Working in the studio all day today, have a little work to do first on the computer, put in my copper order and blammo, it's fun in the studio for me!

does anyone sell beads to bead stores that would chime in on how they display the beads for wholesale. I have the lil black trays I was going to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Short of that, it's only gong to be 61 here today :mad: where is the warm weather? Hope you all have a wonderfully creative day!

-Mary

Mary, I've been meaning to tell you that I love your sea urchins--such nice texture! I've been thinking about trying something similar with glass and the 1001 colors of frit I have. lol

Please post flower pictures. I miss gardening so much and love seeing what other people are doing. And you can have some of our heat. It's going to be 98 here today, which means 115 isn't far behind. I hate summer. If I hear one more person say "but it's a dry heat" I'm going to smack them! lol Needless to say, I'll be at the torch very soon this morning before the heat picks up.

Have a great day, everyone! :D

Paula

Charlee
04-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey y'all,

I'm playing catch up - been out of town and then just not on the computer a few days. I didn't finish my Deep Blue Sea project. 3 different days, I had all my beads and stuff ready to rock, but it wasn't happening. I strung and unstrung and ruined wire and well, gently laid it all aside before I flung it against the wall. :mad: I'll give it a day or two and try again. Sometimes, the muse, she don't sing, yanno? Not like I don't have other studio stuff to do. <grumble mutter grouch>

Charlee

McDuck
04-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Suzy, those are really nice, I am bad at coming up with things like that though. :rolleyes:

*ducks* but Paula it is DRY HEAT! Try it with 75-100% humidity UGHERS! I am hopefully moving to Tucson in 2 years so I will get it first hand. YEAH!

Charlee *cracks whip* get to work girl! things to make in that there studio! lol

-Mary

gypsysoul
04-26-2004, 10:47 AM
SuzyQ, I think it's too early here for me to think that hard, but if I come up with anything I'll let you know. :)

Mary, I lived in Michigan for 37 years--I do know humid! lol Besides the cold, it's one of the reasons we moved here (you will LOVE Tucson, and it's a tad cooler there, too). I much prefer it here to your neck of the woods in summer, but the intensity of the heat here wears on you after a few years, and this will be my 13th one here. I'm like a hermit in the summer, or maybe a bat or a vampire--I only come out at night! LOL! (By the way, you need to PM me your address! :D )

Charlee, I haven't made any progress on mine either. I just keep adding stuff to the pile and staring at it. lol Hang in there!

Paula

TheBlueBetween
04-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Hello everyone -

Mary, you can't feel bad about taking a weekend off! That's what weekends are for - and let me tell you that if all you do is work, you will lose your creativity - you need to do flower gardens and road trips and what all to keep those creative juices flowing.

SuzyQ, I'll keep thinking - there was something but it left before I could capture it.

Paula, anytime you want to garden, come on over to my place - we are re-doing our whole front yard this year.

Charlee, don't give up. It will happen. I had a day like that myself yesterday - I tried to start 3 projects and just had to put them all down. One I tried twice. Oh well, it happens.

In fact I hope this daily/weekly debate gets straightened out soon - I almost didn't post today as I'm hating this whole thing and it's all so depressing - we have such a wonderful thing going - I'm not sure why it was considered broken and in need of fixing.

Well off to get a charm in the mail and get Luke ready for speech class... have a nice day everyone...

Pam

beclectic
04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
The two new images are the one attached and a bright orangy/red poppy looking right at you. (I haven't taken the picture yet since my poppies haven't bloomed) For the poppy I'm looking for something that says "strut your stuff" and for the yellow flowers -perseverance. I'll take any ideas! Thanks.

G'day everyone. I'm avoiding the 'M' word for those that don't like it.

For the yellow ones how about 'Bloom where you're planted.'

Gypsysoul (Paula) - Whenever I hear that 'dry heat' thing I always say,
'So's an oven and you wouldn't want to live in it now would you.'

We have humidity, we have heat but we also have plenty of water and lots of green. Kentuck is always trying to be a forest again, don't mow for a couple of weeks and at least one tree seedling will grow. I just love spring, summer and fall, it's that old cold winter that I don't like.

Back to work, y'all have a good one y'hear.

DonnaBee
04-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone. :)

SuzyQ, I am going to type for you some info I found in my Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols, by J.C. Cooper

Yellow: Intellect, intuition, faith and goodness. Hindu: Light, life, truth, immortality; the West.

Poppy: A symbol of the Great Mother as the One and Many, the Mother and Maid; Night; sacred to all lunar and nocturnal deities; represents fertility; fecundity; oblivion; idleness. Chinese: Retirement, rest, beauty; success.

Hope this helps! Perhaps the Poppy is rather for a Diva-type! (Goes with Strut your Stuff?)

gypsysoul
04-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Whenever I hear that 'dry heat' thing I always say, 'So's an oven and you wouldn't want to live in it now would you.'

Barbara--Exactly!! ROFL There's something not right about needing an oven mitt to open the car door. heeheehee

Paula

Shirley C.
04-26-2004, 11:41 AM
just a quick hello to everyone before i run off and start my bazillion tasks for the day. i've got to wrap and ship my bead for the all-member show at the isgb annual gathering, then i have to make beads for some outstanding orders and for a juried show for which i was accepted. then i need to put together a class agenda - i'm "interviewing" with the executive director of the bay area glass institute on thursday. they're starting up a flameworking program, and looking for a lampworking teacher. i've taught a few one-on-one classes, but not a whole classroom. this'll be interesting...

i had a jury duty summons for this week, but when i called last night to see if i'd have to report, i found out that the group i'm in has been excused - yay! so now i can attempt to be productive. :)

i'll stop in later to see what's up - i'm hopelessly addicted to this forum, ya know. hope everyone has a fabulous day!

Barrie
04-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Good day everyone (avoiding the 'm' word too! LOL!). Wow, by the time I get on the computer, you guys have half finished your day! It's a bright and sunny 8:30am here, all the kids, hubby & granddaughter are dropped off, and I'm in the studio all day (well, after I finish my computer work, and hit the shower).

Mary! Good for you for taking a bit of time ofr yourself (and your garden!) And when you move to Tucson, can I come stay with you occassionally (like every February! :evil: )

Paula - dry heat or not, I sure wouldn't want to live in your neck of the woods in summer time - wintertime, different story!! I LOVE Arizona!!! When i visit Mary, I'll stop by and visit you too! :D

Suzy - Those are beautiful!! Hmmmm, perserverence! I have "Practice, Patience & Perserverence" as my motto, written in calligraphy on a sign in my studio, and it's a mantra I repeat to my students absolutely every class!! LOL! As for the poppy, what's wrong with "Strut your stuff"? It's bold, like poppies are, and says it like it is! :)

Charlee - don't beat yourself up! Give it a few days rest, and you'll be surprised what the muses have in store for that peace when you go back to it! Works most of the time for me anyway! Good luck!

Pam - don't worry, we'll get it all straightened out eventually. Just make sure everyone you know that visits us remembers to cast a vote! LOL!

Barb - Kentucky sounds gorgeous! Isn't it nice to live somewhere you love?!

Donna - you always come up with the most amazing information!!

All right you people, I better get finished with all this stuff, and get to work. I want to have SOMETHING to show today! Oh wait! I did two demo pieces for students this weekend, I'm going to go dig them up and post them in the other thread.

Have a wonderful productive, happy day!!!

Beads-Me!
04-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Hello all! I'm up and looking for things to do when Dave and I are in Baltimore this weekend. I haven't had much of a chance to think about it and now that it's almost here I decided I should do a little research into what to do while we're there. Of course the 1st thing I did was check for bead stores in the area and the best in town is less than 2 miles from our B&B! Could be trouble... :rolleyes:

Better get scooting. I want to make some more jewelry to wear while I'm there - need to be coordinated you know! :D

Have a great day!

SuzyQ
04-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Oh ladies you are a great help! Donna, I need one of those dictionaries. O.K. Here is what I've got:

For the yellow flowers - Believe in Forever, Be Invicible (sp?), Stand Strong

For the Poppy - Diva? That's Me, Try and Stop Me, .... still a bit stuck here. I'm going for inspirational and not so trendy. But then again maybe I should leave the rectangle and go for another line entirely....

Thanks!

TheBlueBetween
04-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Hi Suzy, How about for the Poppy, "Be Yourself" or "Be true to yourself" or "show your true colors"?

Or maybe you could go read that Red Hat Society Poem and see if anything in that inspires a saying... "When I am old I shall wear a red dress with a purple hat".

I've been talking about my deck forever it seems - There have been some ups and downs :( I finally took some pictures and posted them on my site - I won't hog the thead with them, but if you want to see - go here: http://www.bluebetween.com/news.htm There are some doggie and kid photos too. You will see why I need new deck furniture - that table is so little and old - it was so nice when we had our little patio off our condo in Cambridge 10 years ago... but not so good for a big deck.

:) Pam

McDuck
04-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Good Morning Everyone! Nice sunny day here in the Chicagoland area. I am up and ready to jog! :rolleyes: that does not sound very exciting does it? Then slimfast, shower and you got it, glaze beadies! Must fire the kiln today. I am going to try to pick out some items to put as a WIP thread for a bracelet. *sighs* will be the longerst thread in history I think! rofl

I hope more of you receive your beadies today and everyone have a great day!

Mary

beclectic
04-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Good Day All,

I'm just at work, as usual with too much to do. I wish I had something exciting to share but I don't. I do have to start configuring a laptop/port replicator system for myself today so I am excited about that although this desktop system I have is blazing fast my boss needs a better computer and I need to have a laptop so I can support all the laptops our trainers have. So I get the new laptop and he gets my blazing fast system. I think I'd rather have the desktop with the huge hard drive. It's for the best of the employees, Oh the sacrifices I have to make.

:D How's that for overly dramatic and whiney.

I think I'm going to start the next garden bracelet tonight, I got out beads and sorted through them. I did make a bead order yesterday and I'm hoping some beads I ordered on ebay come intoday so I can get on with that bracelet. I'll have to see if all the stuff goes together like I hope it will. I wish I lived near Rio or Fire Mountain Gems sometimes, it would make getting the right stuff together so much easier.

I've got to get my studio finished, I need (yes need not want :D ) to make beads that will go with other beads so I can actually execute some of the ideas I have.

I need a day stretcher to make my days bigger so I have more time for the fun stuff.

Have a good one y'all.

SuzyQ
04-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Good ones Pam! I like Be True to Yourself, but Show Your True Colors is so "poppyish".

I had one of those mornings where I did so much but nothing is done! Taking a quick break now that my daughter is home and watching Nick Jr. I thought I would share a funny link with you all.

Ever wonder how to sell that old wedding dress on e-bay? Check this out, it made me laugh so hard I was crying:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4146756343

have a great day!

McDuck
04-27-2004, 12:45 PM
OhSuzy, I am freaking rolling with laughter, my daughter and I and my eyes are fullof tears too! Bless his heart and all he wants is a beer and ball game. Not much if you ask me. This needs to be posted in the glass lobby, what a HOOT!
Thank you for sharing!
Mary

DonnaBee
04-27-2004, 01:17 PM
That's one of the funniest ebay auctions I have seen in a long time!

Did anyone post it in the Glass Lobby yet?

beclectic
04-27-2004, 02:00 PM
SuzyQ that is one unique auction. Thanks for posting it.

Beads-Me!
04-27-2004, 02:06 PM
H-ho all! A quick sneak in while I'm at work to say hello to you all! I'm glad we're going to do a daily thing - because a weekly is too durn confusing for me... :rolleyes: (To be honest - it doesn't take much...)

Hope you're all having a great day!

mistymade
04-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Good afternoon everyone! I just wanted to pop in and say "Howdy"!

I'm fixing to walk out the door to go sit in art history class. I'm sure I will be doing the "head bob", I'm so tired!

McDuck, I can't wait to see your WIP thread, I love to see the evolution.

Barbara, when you find that "day stretcher", please let me borrow it! It sounds like a really cool tool!!!LOL:D

SuzyQ, that auction is hilarious!!!

Nancy, I'm a little confused with the weekly chat too. I feel like I should reply to all the post yesterday since I didn't post yesterday. And since this is all one big thread, maybe I should???????? Yep, It's harder to keep up with, and this is only day two! Imagine when it's later in the week!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful afternoon! Send me some "stay awake in class vibes", I'm gonna need them!