PDA

View Full Version : For all you marine fans!

PETERH
04-26-2004, 08:41 AM
I posted this last year during my holiday on Tortola, BVI.

I think it's the best one of the thirty-odd I painted, but unfortunately someone sold it for me and I'm still waiting for the cash!!

Serves me right, eh?

Don't paint for money - paint for the enjoyment! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2004/8730-Peter_Island,_BVI_Aug._2003_small.JPG

artistodon
04-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi Peter,
You are truely a master of marine art. I really enjoy the contrast in energy in this one with the peaceful harbor and the incoming menacing clouds. Is it just my imagination or do I see the face of a baboon in the dark cloud directly above the little island?
Don :)

Yax
04-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Land, sea and sky all blend in well. Wonderful painting. Yax

PETERH
04-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Thanks Don & Yax!

the difference between a true "master" and an enthusiastic amateur is that the master can often repeat his successes. Unfortunately, I just get lucky sometimes! :D

I don't think I've ever painted a better sky than this - the more I try, the less success I seem to have!

It's interesting that this painting was one of the few "plein aire" paintings I did in Tortola. I was very relaxed, in the company of a group of other painters on the balcony of a beautiful house overlooking the islands. I'm sure this atmosphere was largely responsible for the success!

Here, at Lake Constance, S. Germany, Spring is blossoming and it's becoming warm enough to paint outside, so as soon as the hay-fever abates, I'll be out there! :)

laudesan
04-28-2004, 12:23 AM
I think you get "lucky" heaps.. ;)

Once again beautiful work!!!!!!!!

PETERH
04-28-2004, 01:48 AM
Thanks JJ !

I must say, even if the painting doesn't turn out well, I enjoy the process! :)

ripvanblair
04-28-2004, 05:01 AM
Excellent scene, brilliant colours, ---------well done----------Alan

PETERH
04-28-2004, 07:00 AM
Thanks Alan!

.. a few lucky strokes! :)

Marty C
04-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Hi Peter,
Plein air painters will tell you there is no other way to paint if you want to really capture the true essence of a scene - the colours will be clearer, the focus sharper, the atmosphere more real. Looks like you nailed it with this.

PETERH
05-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks Marty!

I agree, "plein aire" certainly suits me.

Apart from that, I do need to see what I'm painting - ideally in reality, alternatively a photo. Really not much good at painting from memory - unless abstract, of course!

itsmecherren
05-06-2004, 10:20 AM
It's really beautiful Peter. I want to really try watercolor. If I could manage that look I would work for Hallmark at least to pay for supplies and a real reason to paint for hours and not feel quilty. Cheryl

PETERH
05-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks Cheryl!

I suppose it is a bit "picture-postcardy"! :)

itsmecherren
05-07-2004, 12:22 AM
I didn't think about it being post-cardy, just beautiful, and so professional. Cheryl

PETERH
05-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks Cheryl!

pleased you like it!

I'm hoping the weather improves so I can paint outdoors again this weekend, but at present it's so cold and wet. I enjoyed the "plein aire" last Sunday.