PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell (Eye Candy!) 4.26.04

MadameKali
04-26-2004, 02:20 AM
grr, drat, I had a post and my dumb behind accidentally deleted it :)

Well, I wanted to start this post because I made some nifty things this weekend (stuff I love, anyway), and I didn't want them to get lost in the Sunday thread :evil: . It's technically Monday, anyway... :) I've been busy-busy this weekend--that's what happens when you go back to your hometown and everyone you used to know there has scattered to the four corners of the earth.

The pair of earrings was inspired by Japanese cherry blossoms. They aren't exactly what I wanted to do with that concept, but I was feeling springy and I wanted a pair of earrings NOW. hehe. The necklace is something that kind of came about by accident; I meant for the "African Jade" beads to come down in kind of a triangle, and found I liked the fringies instead. I think I may go back and add copper danglies. The Japanese 5-1 bracelet I made myself because I got bored. I wanted a punkish cuff kind of bracelet, and I didn't have the tutorial for dragonscale handy.

Oh, and my vote is we call the show and tell threads Eye Candy. I think it's a cute name that we already all use :)

farkel
04-26-2004, 08:00 AM
I really love those pieces. I've never done anything with the rings like that but would love to start. Do you have trouble with the necklace wanting to curl up around your neck? Some of the bead weaving I do wants to roll instead of laying flat. Maybe it's just my neck or I'm not using stiff enough material to weave. I use 8lb spiderwire.......
Beautiful work,
Fran

beclectic
04-26-2004, 08:03 AM
The cuff is very interesting with those tiny rings. I don't know a lot about maille but I like it. I breifly went to the site you posted last week and I was amazed that there are so many possible patterns for maille.

Your necklace is really pretty with the African Jade I'd be interested to see it with the added copper but it looks great the way it is.

The earrings look like they would go well with the necklace especially if you add the copper to the necklace like you mentioned.

Congradulations on a productive weekend.

Emjay
04-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Wow, that's great chain weaving (is it officially called chainmail or chainmaille?). I did my first chain last weekend with one of Aislyn's (Urban Maille ChainWorks) kits. It was so fun! And her rings are SO beautiful. (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2004/11303-first_chainmaille.jpg

Beads-Me!
04-26-2004, 08:32 AM
I just do not have the patience to do that kind of work! Nice job you two..
I posted this one late last night so will throw it in today's thread as well. I had fun putting some of the shells I picked up on the beach in FL in this one..

DonnaBee
04-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Susie/Madame Kali, You make beautiful jewelry! I really love the earrings especially.

Jean, that is AWSOME! The clasp, did it come with the kit? If not, did you make that clasp? You did a really good job.

Nancy, it's sooooo beautiful!!!!! You are so very talented...

JAM Creations
04-26-2004, 09:33 AM
Hello! Great show & tell today! Love the silver chain maille pieces and the shell bracelet is awesome!

Ocean Jasper necklace from me today--and maybe a bracelet if I got it small enough to post!

McDuck
04-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Nice work madamekali, i like the chainmaille.
Jean, you do chainmaille too?
nancy, selling sea shells by the sea shore again are you? rofl
Jodie, i love coean jasper too! very nice piece.

-Mary

beclectic
04-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Jean - nice bracelet, I too was impressed by the clasp.
Nancy - The shell bracelet just makes me want to go to Florida more. Every spring I get a strong, almost irristable, desire to go to Florida. I love it there and the fact that my youngest son lives there is all the more reason to want to go. Sorry, got carried away talking about me. Your bracelet is beautiful, is it comfortable to wear?
Jodie - necklace and bracelet are outstanding. I would like to see the necklace a little larger. These old eyes can't make out the detail but what I can see looks very good.

Charlee
04-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Great chainwork, Kali & Emjay! I'm a novitiate UM junkie myself. :evil:
Nancy, what a fun bracelet! I have boxes and boxes of shells... What did you drill the holes with?
Jodie, I'm an ocean jasper fan too. Lovely work!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlee

debkauz
04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Beautiful work everyone! I definately would vote for *EYECANDY*! Can't wait to get my next camera so I can show stuff, too. I think that this is just an awesome site. :clap:

Debbie

DonnaBee
04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
oooooo, awsome, awsome tribute to ocean jasper, Jodie! :clap:

SuzyQ
04-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Oh boy! Fun stuff today.

Kali, I like the green with the chain. Lovely indeed.

Emjay, nice one! And your first? It's looks great.

Nancy that is a fun bracelet. I can just imagine fondling each and every bead instead of whatever it is I should be doing.

Jam - You're making me long for the beach! pretty.

MadameKali
04-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Thank you, all :)

Jean, you will become addicted to this stuff, I promise!! It is seriously addictive, I love it. Your piece is great for a first piece--some people have awful times with the closures. So much you can do with maille, too... *loving sigh*

Fran, no, I never have that problem. Usually the weight of maille keeps it laying well, if the weave is good and all that.

Nancy, the shell stuff is way cool! I like :)

toozygoot
04-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Nancy - what a great way to wear beach memories! Your bracelet came out beautiful!

Madame Kalie and Emjoy - I am a fan of chainmailleing too! I love your pieces! I was trying to teach myself byzantine but I think I need someone next to me to help.

Jodie - I sure would love to see that piece up close and personal!

Here's a pic of one of my chainmaille pieces. I find making it very calming.

pat

Alethia Donathan
04-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Awesome work everyone!!!
MadameKai, Emjay and Pat - Wow! Great Chainmaille.
Nancy - Love the shell combinations!
Jodie - lovely necklace....haven't seen many things made with ocean jasper so this was a treat!

Nothing from me to show today....maybe later on in the week.

Alethia

ringslingin
04-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Love the maille work everyone!!! Susie, I'm very impressed with how far you've come!!!

Shirley C.
04-26-2004, 05:13 PM
i'm really enjoying all the chain mail today.
nancy, that bracelet is luscious and jodie, i love what you've done with the ocean jasper!

here's a piece i did last year after i first learned to do byzantine weave. i had a horrible time getting the loops on the crystals even so i wouldn't sell this bracelet, but i've had several people wanting to buy it off my wrist. so now i'm trying to make another one in "warm" colors - and i'm having the same problem. for me, it's a real challenge.

lisilk
04-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Great show and tell everyone. Thanks for getting it started today Madamekali.

Madamekali, Jean, Pat, and Shirley- I love those chainmaille pieces ! Awesome. They look so comfortable and the addition of the Byzantine crystals really adds royal flavor.

Nancy- That is one cool piece. So summery, love the soft pastel pallette. A day at the beach !

Jobie- The necklace is a little hard to see ( don't forget all us grannies in here. LOL ) but the beadwork is fantastic.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Li

beclectic
04-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Shirley - those crystals in that maille look so right. We've had a maille bonanza today.

I posted a different picture of this garden bracelet in the in progress gallery in the Lush Garden Exchange but I just had to put this up here. I love putting pics in the Show & Tell.

lisilk
04-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Shirley - those crystals in that maille look so right. We've had a maille bonanza today.

I posted a different picture of this garden bracelet in the in progress gallery in the Lush Garden Exchange but I just had to put this up here. I love putting pics in the Show & Tell.

Wow- Beautiful !!!

TheBlueBetween
04-26-2004, 06:48 PM

Very Pretty!!!!

toozygoot
04-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Wow Shirley! That is so cool!!! Now you want to come teach me to do byzantine. Or we could get together at the Gathering! I'll bring rings!!!

Beclectic - another WOW! I love it! Just so pretty!

pat

TheBlueBetween
04-26-2004, 06:53 PM
i'm really enjoying all the chain mail today.

I think it's really funny how there are so many pieces with it today!

Shirley C.
04-26-2004, 07:03 PM
...Now you want to come teach me to do byzantine. Or we could get together at the Gathering! I'll bring rings!!!
...pat

pat, once you get the hang of it, byz is very easy. do you have this book?

Great Wire Jewelry: Projects & Techniques
by Irene From Peterson

it gives very good instructions on making various patterns, including byzantine. and i'll be glad to spend some time with you in portland. :D

barbara, your bracelet is really beautiful!!! glad you posted it here.

McDuck
04-26-2004, 07:10 PM
So many pretties today, it makes me wanna go put the greenware down and make something pertylike all of yours! But alas, i have to make more beads to take to some bead shops about town. Hopefully later this week I can make something to share here.
-Mary

artbabe21
04-26-2004, 07:32 PM
IT TRULY is gorgeous EYE CANDY!! You gals rock! :)

I am intrigued by the chain maille....I am looking to make a necklace that would be larger than any chain I could buy that would be so heavy....does anyone know if it would end up heavy in a 16" length? I have an antique silver fob from the early 1900's I want to wear on it & it's larger than my others & needs a more massive chain...;)

Shirley C.
04-26-2004, 08:02 PM
....I am looking to make a necklace that would be larger than any chain I could buy that would be so heavy....does anyone know if it would end up heavy in a 16" length? I have an antique silver fob from the early 1900's I want to wear on it & it's larger than my others & needs a more massive chain...;)

it depends on the weave and the gauge of wire that you use. some weaves are tighter than others and require more rings per inch. a very good friend of mine does chain work, and she made a necklace from 16-ga rings in a rather tight weave. the piece is quite heavy, but when i put it on my neck it felt downright sensous! gotta make one of those for myself some day...

MadameKali
04-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Barbara, the garden bracelet is gorgeous :) I don't know if I would have the patience or talent for that sort of beadwork.

Shirley, that bracelet with crystals is ALSO gorgeous! But, I'm having a hard time understand what you said the problem you're having is--a hard time visualizing it, if you will. What kind of metal is it made of?

Pat, learning Byzantine can be easy. I think a lot of it depends on the tutorial you use, etc. I started off with a VERY thorough one that Denise sent me, but the method I basically use is here, and I think it is a decent tutorial: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~cweisige/byz2.html . Make sure you're using a good gauge and ring size--don't start off with tiny rings; the ones I started off with were 16 g/4.5 mm . They make a very nice Byzantine.

Cathleen, you can make a very nice and heavy chain out of maille. The first Byzantine one had a great weight to it; if you are looking for something denser than Byzantine, I've always wanted to see what Turkish Roundmaille would look like around someone's neck :D I made a bracelet in turkish roundmaille (I wish someone would buy it from me :crying: I have become one of those people who buys jewelry supplies before paying the bills... lol): http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/orangetigress/detail?.dir=/fb33&.dnm=67e9.jpg

TheBlueBetween
04-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Ok, this is just cracking me up! It's so hideous that I almost think I like it! The picture itself is truly hideous - my skin looks so freakish that close up. Honest now, what do you think of this crazy ring? (Don't worry about hurting my feelings if you hate it - hubby and I have been laughing over it all evening... he told me maybe I shouldn't make rings LOL - I'm going to wear it out and about for a few days and see what kind of comments I get)

artbabe21
04-26-2004, 11:47 PM
but when i put it on my neck it felt downright sensous! gotta make one of those for myself some day...

wow...sounds terrific.....sensous is good, but heavy is not...maybe I should order the sampler from her to see what I really am doing?

thanks kali...your chain maille work is beautiful & love the bracelet you have shown here...:D

Pam, that ring is WONDERFUL! I like it a lot!! :)

Shirley the chain maille with the stones is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shirley C.
04-27-2004, 02:17 AM
...I'm having a hard time understand what you said the problem you're having is--a hard time visualizing it, if you will. What kind of metal is it made of?

i'm using 6mm swarovski cubes in the bracelet. but i have to wire wrap them with a loop on each end in order to add them between the byzantine units. the problem i'm having is making my loops on these crystals a consistant size. i've never been very good at making loops - go figure. :rolleyes: the bracelet is 18-ga sterling, and the wire i'm using on the crystals is 19-ga. after thinking about this while i was getting my massage (ah, what a luxury!), i'm going to try something a bit different. if it works, i'll post again with a happy dance.

pam, i love the ring! really!

lisilk
04-27-2004, 03:51 AM
Ok, this is just cracking me up! It's so hideous that I almost think I like it! The picture itself is truly hideous - my skin looks so freakish that close up. Honest now, what do you think of this crazy ring? (Don't worry about hurting my feelings if you hate it - hubby and I have been laughing over it all evening... he told me maybe I shouldn't make rings LOL - I'm going to wear it out and about for a few days and see what kind of comments I get)

Pam, it's actually pretty to look at. How comfortable is it ? I have a lot of problems with rings and bracelets because of all the chemicals I use. My hands are a mess....but I like to look !

Li

beclectic
04-27-2004, 08:32 AM

I like the ring, it would go with my garden bracelet the pearls are almost the same. I agree that close ups of skin are just weird. I had the same problem when I took the picture of the bracelet that is on this thread.

What is it you don't like about the ring?

Emjay
04-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Nancy,I laughed out loud when I read that you don't have the patience to do chainmaille! Those Stephanie bracelets must take a chunk of time! And you have to pick out the beads and components, too. (Oh, gee, what a terrible thing to have to do! :evil:) This took me 2 hours, 40 minutes, it was my first one, and about the last 10 minutes was re-sizing it.
Shirley, I love the beads with the chain! What a different way to add color! Would love if you could do a tutorial on that sometime.
Great work everyone!

McDuck
04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Pam, the ring is quite cute. But how does it wear? It looks abit uncomfy from here. Short of that, I like! -Mary

toozygoot
04-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Pam - I really like your ring! I'm curious about the comfort of wearing it too. I think it would be neat on your index finger! A real attention getter!

Thanks for the helpful links for byz instructions!

pat

TheBlueBetween
04-27-2004, 10:17 AM
It's suprisingly comfy! It's soft and flexible like a piece of fabric. I don't know how it will hold up over time. It's an experiment, that's for sure!

Charlee
04-27-2004, 12:14 PM
I am intrigued by the chain maille....I am looking to make a necklace that would be larger than any chain I could buy that would be so heavy....does anyone know if it would end up heavy in a 16" length? I have an antique silver fob from the early 1900's I want to wear on it & it's larger than my others & needs a more massive chain...;)

Ok first, I wanna see the fob. :evil: Then, I suggest you poke about here (http://www.urbanmaille.com/view_category.asp?cat=33) to see what gauge & ID rings work well with what weaves. I can't recommend her Byzantine kit highly enough. Aislyn's instructions are better than any I've found online. :clap: There are, however, a ton of online tutorials out there for just about any weave imaginable.

Charlee

artbabe21
04-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Ok first, I wanna see the fob. :evil:

OKey doke....this photo went gold, it IS silver...2' tall & 1 1/2" wide & heavy :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2004/7568-new_fob.jpg