PDA

View Full Version : Daily or Weekly Poll?

Barrie
04-26-2004, 01:55 AM
Okay, I think we need to voice our opinions, so our moderators know how WE feel. They don't have an easy job, and if we can make it easier by showing them what we want in a polite, adult fashion, then hopefully, our voices will be heard!

First and foremost, we need to let them know how we feel about daily vs weekly threads for Show & Tell and Chats. So make sure you vote!!! And if you have additional comments I know I'd love to hear them, and so would the moderators (hope I'm not speaking out of turn!).

Barrie
04-26-2004, 02:03 AM
Hmmmm, go figure! It worked!!! I think we should let this run for 48 hours, so that everyone (or almost everyone) has a chance to add their opinions. And on thinking about it, we should probably wait until we decide the daily/weekly issue before we post about the names of those threads.

I politely ask the moderators that we be allowed to carry on with the threads we've been currently using (daily S&T and Chat) until all our voices have been heard. I know, I for one will respect whatever decision is made, but do hope that we can resolve this in a polite and mature fashion.

Beads-Me!
04-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Great Barrie - thanks for getting this one started. I voted for daily's of both. As I said yesterday - I think doing weekly show and tells and/or weekly hello's would get too large and hard to follow. I think by doing daily's we're actually cutting down on way too many threads! And I'm not sure I understand totally why doing our daily's have even become an issue...

Thanks for starting the discussion for the whole forum. I don't know if everyone caught what started in the daily thread yesterday. I hope we can resolve this without any feelings hurt... :)

debkauz
04-26-2004, 07:58 AM
I think that too much will get lost with a weekly either. It will get so long that if you don't do a daily check, you will end up not looking at all because it takes too long to read. Definately daily!!!
I am not trying to cause any trouble with this BTW. Since this is 'our' forum how much of a say do we have in what happens with it? This is just a curious question! I know from the glass forum how things can get accelerated, so I really want to make this clear!

Debbie

Emjay
04-26-2004, 08:22 AM
I voted for daily S&T and chat. Just makes sense to me. This is such a nice, EASY GOING forum, I hope we don't ruffle any feathers. Just want to make our preferences known. Thanks to the moderators for all their hard work, though! "somebody's gotta do it"

DonnaBee
04-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Daily/Daily here!

Thank you for writing this poll Barrie! :)

McDuck
04-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Daily/daily here too! thanks barrie, now where is your photo? hmmmm? -Mary :D

Charlee
04-26-2004, 10:21 AM
daily/daily for me too - ditto the reasons previously mentioned. I've been out of pocket for several days and am trying to catch up. :)

gypsysoul
04-26-2004, 10:39 AM
I definitely appreciate the moderators' hard work, and especially appreciate that we were given this wearable art forum, but I also feel that daily/daily is much easier to manage.

Paula

beclectic
04-26-2004, 10:50 AM
I would like to add my voice in thanks for all the work the moderators do. I really appreciate that we have a voice. I'm sure it is like trying to herd cats, trying to move this group in any given direction. :D

Moth
04-26-2004, 12:17 PM
I do think it is very important to keep OTs combined in a chat thread. This IS a technical oriented forum, since we don't have a lobby like the glass channel has. BUT, I think that only being allowed to have one chat thread in a week is a little extreme. If we could cut down on other OT threads by putting them all in a single daily chat thread, everyone could be happy.

I voted for daily show and tell only because the pictures and participation in that thread is going to be very popular and large. I have my page settings to display 40 posts per page, and even on dsl this can be quite a wait if there are 2 pictures in every post. I don't want to have to wait for all the ones I already saw three days ago to load just to get to see today's. I don't think I should have to change my page settings either, all over one thread.

Does everyone realize that by doing a weekly show and tell they are only saving 6 threads per week? Were those 6 threads really a problem? LOL At least the show and tell threads are on topic.

I completely understand the desire to direct WC members to use the Cafe and other portions of the site, but quite frankly, with the tens of thousands of members here who have absolutely nothing in common with me, I don't want to talk with them. I want to talk with you guys. (Which is probably why the Cafe is under-used in the first place, we aren't the only people who feel this way.)

Forum chat threads are the answer, I just think with so many OT threads started per day, the moderators wanted to bring a little focus and order to the place, which is always a good thing. I am just afraid that limiting our ability to show our work and tell about it was a bit much when the show and tell threads were only one thread in a whole day.

If we keep all the OT stuff in one daily thread, and all the showcase stuff in one show and tell daily thread, that is only two threads per day. Is there really a problem with that?

~~Mary

NewCreation
04-26-2004, 02:17 PM
I'll suggest that we each take a look around the rest of WC and see how things are done as well. In most of the other forums each person posts their work in a seperate thread, rather than having a show and tell thread. I kinda like that format. In Mixed Media there is a chat thread for the whole month. I don't think that is practical here due to the chattiness of the group. I just wanted to throw in some ideas in addtion to those already covered.

ringslingin
04-26-2004, 04:03 PM
I voted for weekly threads... I suppose I should explain why. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers at all, but we SEEM to have lost sight of the technical stuff.

By technical stuff, I mean I'm not seeing much chat about jewelry making, design, shows, marketing, business, etc like when we first started out with this forum. There IS some, but not as much. I do enjoy the Show & Tell's and the daily chats very much, but I also enjoy being able to bounce ideas off of one another and asking questions when I need to. I'd like to see more projects, more discussion about the technical side of wearable art.

That's just my two cents, hope I haven't hurt anyones feelings, that's not my intention at all. I love this forum very much!

Denise

beclectic
04-26-2004, 04:14 PM
I voted for weekly threads... I suppose I should explain why. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers at all, but we SEEM to have lost sight of the technical stuff.

By technical stuff, I mean I'm not seeing much chat about jewelry making, design, shows, marketing, business, etc like when we first started out with this forum. There IS some, but not as much. I do enjoy the Show & Tell's and the daily chats very much, but I also enjoy being able to bounce ideas off of one another and asking questions when I need to. I'd like to see more projects, more discussion about the technical side of wearable art.

That's just my two cents, hope I haven't hurt anyones feelings, that's not my intention at all. I love this forum very much!

Denise

I think more projects are a great idea. Why don't you run one? I am waiting for the current one I'm running to finish before I start another. :)

froggee501
04-26-2004, 05:12 PM
In most of the other forums each person posts their work in a seperate thread, rather than having a show and tell thread. I kinda like that format.

I must admit, I like that format as well. However, it's not as practical here, because a lot of people may finish a necklace in a day, and so have a new thread every day. That's when the daily comes in hand. Plus, I like the daily, 'cause if I have something that I made quick, and don't feel deserves it's own thread, then I can put it in there.

On the other side, if someone has something that they've worked on for weeks upon weeks, and/or they just want to show off something extra special, then the seperate threads work well for that. Or, if there is a work in progress (known on WC! as a WIP), then that often merits its own thread too.

Case in point: my bicolor - I spent over a month working on it, it's the best thing I had done, and I even had a webpage for it. The bicolor definately merited it's own thread. However, if I've just whipped up some hemp necklaces in class while ignoring my teachers, as cool as they may be, the only way I'm willing to give them any chance for attention is to put them in the Show and Tell where they can be buried beneath everyone else's cooler stuff. :)

So that's my support for the Show and Tell. I'm not voting because I really want it to be neither daily nor weekly... Somewhere in between would be better, I think... Biweekly? M-W-F-S? When the thread has reached one or two pages? I just think that daily is too quick and weekly's too drawn out... :rolleyes: I know, I'm the difficult one. As for chat, I don't care... I never frequent it because I always feel weird listening to people complain about their teenaged kids... :eek:

The Young and Difficult,
Emma

lisilk
04-26-2004, 05:40 PM
We appreciate the input. We're trying to make it a comfortable place for everyone, those that love to chat and those that hate the chat threads ( yes, we do get p.m.'s from them ! ) LOL. It's looking like daily/ daily will work.

The idea of posting seperate threads was more to get people to SHOW THEIR PROCESS, not to eliminate the show and tell's. We want demos ! We want Wips ! We want new comer's to open threads and go.....AH- HA ! That's how I can do it.

Thanks everyone for making it a great forum ! :clap:

Cheers,

Li

Barrie
04-26-2004, 06:00 PM
It really seems to be leaning towards daily threads, but I think we should at least wait until tomorrow so people who are working or haven't logged in for a bit can get their chance to have a say.

I just wanted to mention that WIP's are awesome!! I think that if you do something amazing and you feel it deserves it's own thread, go for it! I would hate to see anyone feel that they can't or shouldn't post something extraordinary - unless you always make extraordinary, then maybe once in a while post a separate thread! :)

As for daily chats, I use them more for personal motivation than anything else. Sounds silly, but if I say I'm going to go make some rings or fuse some dichroic, then I tend to actually go and do it, kind of like giving voice to my goals makes them easier to achieve.

One of the things I've found makes the glass forum so special is the comradery felt between all the people that participate in the lobby. Yes, there is some griping about teenagers, and sometimes the posts are very sad. But sometimes the posts are very exciting, or really funny, or just plain friendly. But I feel much more comfortable here, because I am really a wearable artist, and have a great time posting my finished jewelry, as well as helping others where ever I can, and I hope we can make our little section of WC just as special in our own little way!

So I've given you guys my two cents worth at least a dozen times lately, so I'll shut up and go back to work now!! Thanks for listening!! (again! :) )

beclectic
04-26-2004, 06:32 PM
So that's my support for the Show and Tell. I'm not voting because I really want it to be neither daily nor weekly... Somewhere in between would be better, I think... Biweekly? M-W-F-S? When the thread has reached one or two pages? I just think that daily is too quick and weekly's too drawn out... :rolleyes: I know, I'm the difficult one. As for chat, I don't care... I never frequent it because I always feel weird listening to people complain about their teenaged kids... :eek:

The Young and Difficult,
Emma

I just wanted to say that I don't remember a single chat here where someone complained about a teenaged kid. We mostly say hello, and talk about what we are going to do for the day. I feel like Barrie, it helps me actually do something if I tell people I'm going to. I like knowing what everyone is planning, it just makes me feel a part of the community. Anyway the chats aren't enjoyed by everyone but that is what is so great about this type of forum. You can pick and choose how you want to interact.

I don't think you are difficult, you just know your own mind and I think your arguments pro and con were well stated.

artbabe21
04-26-2004, 07:43 PM
I just wanted to mention that WIP's are awesome!! I think that if you do something amazing and you feel it deserves it's own thread, go for it!

I think that PROCESS WIPs are so encouraging to people who... yes, can see the finished product in your show & tell but are stumped as to HOW you got there. I've so enjoyed Shirley's garden bracelet & now Lisilk's scarves. Sorry didn't want to list them all...but the point is...that's the technical portion that is really important, to teach/share the process with others...:) Just something to think about...hint, hint...would love to see someone do a chain maille bracelet WIP...LOL :D

diane555
04-27-2004, 06:07 AM
Good morning girls :)

I wanted to post yesterday morning but I was running late. I didn't have a problem with daily show & tells...I only suggested weekly because I thought it was something that wouldn't get used as much. But after reading all the comments in the other thread ... [QUOTE]..10 to 100 posts a day...[/QUOTES] I stand corrected :D LOL

However, I don't want to discourage people from posting in their own separate threads if that's what they wish to do...even if it's a "this is my finished sandal thread". If we should develop a problem later with the number of threads being posted a day we'll deal with it then.

So, you all just need to come up with some names for these two threads..
Looking forward to seeing some creative ones :D

Di

Moth
04-27-2004, 09:24 AM
I think that PROCESS WIPs are so encouraging to people who... yes, can see the finished product in your show & tell but are stumped as to HOW you got there. I've so enjoyed Shirley's garden bracelet & now Lisilk's scarves. Sorry didn't want to list them all...but the point is...that's the technical portion that is really important, to teach/share the process with others...:) Just something to think about...hint, hint...would love to see someone do a chain maille bracelet WIP...LOL :D

I love the WIPs too! Such an awesome resource and generous contribution!

~~Mary

Retta Gates
04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
I am one of a kind ! :D I choose weekly show and daily chat because I love to look through lots of pics of people work but it can be hard to keep up with all that daily chat. Not much chance of me winning ;)

lunamoonshadow
04-27-2004, 08:50 PM
I'm always days behind on chat...but I love the show & tell! (I THINK Emma (?) meant the "big" chat room @ the top of WC when she mentioned people complaining about their teenagers! Of course the NICE thing about multiple threads of chat is that you can kinda pick the topics you're interested in/passionate about!)
I like daily/daily just for simplicity sake. And to stay "up to date" more easily, as I'm on the dreaded DIAL UP connection! In a rural area with fewer phonelines no less!
I'm guessing there were/are some others in THIS forum who are here because they were feeling squelched, ignored, or just plain unwelcome in the "next closest forum to what we do" venues....which is how this whole thing started, right? :) I know that's why I joined the group begging for the wearable forum to be developed!
My 17 cents worth...
--Lyn
STILL waiting for a picture of the REAL Barrie!!!

flynfire
04-27-2004, 10:56 PM
The idea of posting seperate threads was more to get people to SHOW THEIR PROCESS, not to eliminate the show and tell's. We want demos ! We want Wips ! We want new comer's to open threads and go.....AH- HA ! That's how I can do it.

I love the WIPs in this forum especially because there is such a variety of mediums. Yes, more WIPs. Where else can you see someone create a design, paint on silk, "bake" beads, weave chain, set stones, texturize or melt metal, assembly components all in one place? It's a great forum.

I voted daily/daily.

artbabe21
04-27-2004, 11:08 PM
I voted daily/daily.

OK, we ARE having daily/daily, so please vote on a name in the other thread everyone!! :)