PDA

View Full Version : Trompe L'Oeil mural anyone?

AlpineAirbrush
04-26-2004, 12:42 AM
Some of you may have seen the pics of the Boys' "Space Theme" room on my website. well, when I did that the girls weren't about to put up with white walls any longer in their room!! So, I'll post some pics here of the theme project they chose for their room. I call it " A View of My New Home From The Window of The Old ".

First of all the walls are textured, not sanded. All 4 walls are painted in faux logs. Taped walls with 2 inch masking tape and roller painted a base coat of tan for starters, from then on most all else is airbrushed. I won't bore you with pics of all the log work because I forgot to photo the progress. The castle in the clouds was almost completed on saturday, again no progress pics, but we'll begin there and watch the progess of the other Trompe L'Oeil window, which was done on Sunday afternoon with the exception of the horse, which I'll try to complete this week after I get home from my day job. :(

Hope you enjoy this one. Feel free to ask questions. :cool:

AlpineAirbrush
04-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Here's the next set of pics.

HF AIRBRUSH
04-26-2004, 02:04 AM
hey steve....just can't believe you just started airbrushing....damn....your good..hahaha...
i saw the paintings of the space room...they were good...love this as well...

henk

Caterwallin'
04-26-2004, 08:39 AM
Hey Kevin this is awesome! You are such a great Dad! The girls should be very proud!
I would like to see a close up of the logs and mortar. They look great!
The castle and the horse are a great touch.
Are you planning anything for the ceiling?

Sam

AlpineAirbrush
04-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks Henk and Sam, I appreciate the comments. No plans for the ceiling at this time 'cause my oldest daughter wants her room done in a beach theme or maybe an underwater scene. So many rooms, so little time ! :)

Here are the log and morter close-up, Sam. They were actually done a few months ago, back in the badger 150 days. I held off on the windows until I had a decent airbrush. For them I'm using the Peak.

Penny220
04-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Well as soon as your done you can come do my house. I've never found the time to finish a room I started a year ago. I won't know show my kids these pics. they won't ever stop pestering me about their room if I do. I hope your children appreciate what you are doing for them. It's extremely time consuming and you are doing a wonderful job.

MKathleen
04-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Wow this is so cool, I wish I had a room like that when I was going up.:D I love your work! Don't forget those updates....

hinddee29
04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Kevin,
Awesome work. I'm a painter by trade so I would like to here all the
details. I'm going to be redoing my Dinning Room and wanted to do some
thing like this, but wasn't sure how it would come out. Well I know I'm going to do something now. How big is the room? Best guess how long did it take?
Thanks,

Shane

Caterwallin'
04-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Kevin, all I can say is wow! I love the knot details!
I also love the recessed window!
This is awesome!
I'm going to paint my guest bedroom like this right now!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
04-26-2004, 10:13 PM
AA, that is very cool! I also like the contrast between the earthly perishable abode (log cabin) and the many-mansioned indestructable heavenly abode (castle). Very cool idea on both the symbolic and surface levels.

The logs look great. Man, it makes me start scheming....... hehehehehe underwater? hmmmmm open fields of veridian splendor????? hmmmmmm dark damp caverns that wind and twist off into the distance with nightmarish shapes creeping into view????

So many options! Well, thanks for the pics and it's looking gooood.

Tim

AlpineAirbrush
04-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks Everyone, I'm glad you're enjoying the room

Thanks for the invite Penny, can the whole family come? We only have 10 kids :eek: Actually the 2 oldest are living on their own now so I guess there'll only be 12 of us . :D These clients are a bit "cash poor" but if you figure a kiss is worth a dollar and a hug 50 cents, well then I guess I'm probably one of the richest men on Earth. LOL. !

Hi, Kathy. I'll post some more as soon as the girls get the room picked back up so dad can get back in there and paint. things don't look to promising tonight. :(

Hey Shane, really good to see you here 'cause I know you've done a little wall work yourself. Details....hmmm...let's see..... Spent about 10 or 12 hours looking through tons of ref material in comming up with the design. And of course I worked very closley with the clients in all that early stages of the work. Then there was the laying out the design on the walls, probably 6 hours taping, projecting, and drawing. A few of hours masking the "windows" and painting the base coat. I would roll a small section with Latex Interior tan and while it was still wet I'd come back through it with a brush with different shades I mixed up with the base paint to get the basic log look going. Then out comes the airbrush once that dried and a person could spend the rest of their life in there. ;) Airbrushing the grain and knots was about 8 hours for me. It was at this point that I removed the masing tape to reveal the morter lines and then airbrushed the shadows of the logs, so another couple of hours there. Then I pulled off the "window" masking and realized " I still have 2 huge paintings to do". I figure about 8 hours each for those window paintings, so where does that put us? not including all the prep and cleanup time somewhere around 40 hours of painting? Oh yeah, the room is 11 feet x 14 feet, and the "window" areas measure 3 foot 6 inches x 5 foot 6 inches.
Um, that's Createx paint over ordinary interior latex. And one day, among other things I hope to be a profesional interior decorative painter, so hopefully I can ask you some painter questions later! :)

Hi Sam. Thanks. I guess that wow effect is the most fun part of art work for me. I like to have people over and tell them I do wall mural work and they reply "Oh, that's nice", then I ask them if they would see some of my work and I take them into one of these rooms and watch their face do this" :eek: " and hear them say somrthing like "Oh my word, I had no idea!".

Well, looks like the girls finished cleaning so maybe......I'll fire up the 'pressor tonight for a couple of hours. .

Naaa! I think I'll relax and get an earlier start tommorow night. ;)

AlpineAirbrush
04-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Hi Tim, I guess you dropped in while I was posting my last reply!

Yeah, the mansion from the cabin, you got the idea. ;)

Don't know about that nightmarish stuff, maybe just a simple great white shark biting a dolphin in half to make room for more tuna harvesting :evil:

Hey, I hope this inspires you. You've all been such an inspiation to me. I'm hav'in a hoot !

See ya. :cool:

Maryl Lehman
04-27-2004, 03:56 AM
Hi Kevin! I am soooooooo impressed!!! It is totally awesome, to say the least! Those logs really look real!! I painted clouds on a kids room ceiling this past December----that was really fun! The people are friends of ours, and the dad tried to use bought stencils to paint the clouds, and made a mess of them. He was starting to panic because their house was in a Christmas Parade of Homes which was starting in about a week. So, his wife called me to see if I would airbrush the clouds on. I actually used my Devilbiss spray gun instead of my airbrush, and it went really fast! They already had the sky painted blue, so I just had to spray the clouds. I thought, "Boy, I could really get into doing this!!" It was so much fun! I can see why you'd like to get into doing it for a living! Fantastic job on the room, Kevin!!

~Maryl

AlpineAirbrush
04-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the compliment on the room Maryl! Glad you like it. I did forget to mention that for the clouds in the windows I used a small, automotive type painter's detail gun which I recently got. Wish I would have had it when I was doing those logs !!! Here's a pic of it. They are cheap too , like under 50.00 for an import one.

Erikart
04-27-2004, 04:11 PM
I take my hat off to a fellow airbrush muralist. :music:
I have done some work with an airbrush on murals. Most of the large area painting has been done with rollers and the airbrush used after for details.
How did you deal with the overspray?
I find overspray to be the biggest problem to deal with when doing work at a home already finished. I am considering an hvlp spray gun to paint large areas as these paint guns produce high volume with low air pressure(hence the HVLP).
I also hope to soon have a webpage up with some samples of my work.
At any rate great job! :clap:

hinddee29
04-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey Kevin,

Wow! Thanks for the info, it will help alot. Not sure If I'm going to do
this or something alittle diff. It will be some kind of faux finish. That is
something I'd like to start doing more of than just the reg. boring paint job.
Speaking of painting. What you will need some help with this. My boss says painting is so easy that they train monkey's to do it every day. :D
Anyway I'd be happy to help you out or anyone.

Shane

AlpineAirbrush
04-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Hi Erikart, welcome to Wet Canvas!! Great to see another Muralist in here.

Overspray? (cough, gag..) What overspray? ( choke, aaahhh-chooooo! )

No, just kidding. Really with the airbrush I have very little overspray. I did like you said, roll the main part then airbrush the details. Now that automotive detail gun, that baby can cloud up a room in a hurry!! So I turn the air pressure down to about 20 psi and screw in the paint adjustment so I'm not throwing too much paint. That's where I think you'd run into problems with the HVLP. the low pressure I'll go for, but the High Volume part wouldn't work for what I'm doing. I need a fery fine mist, like still airbrushing, only on a larger scale.

Hi Shane, Yes here-in lies the mystery of painting, the Monkeys have been trained ! I knew there was more to it than meets the eye. ;)
You are quite welcome for the info, anything else just holler. And keep us posted on what you do with that room.

Hey Sam, how's that quest room coming ???? :cool:

AlpineAirbrush
04-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey Tim, I got my 1st star under my name today !, How do I look :p

AlpineAirbrush
04-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Whew! O.K. It's horsey time! I spent about 2-1/2 hours on him tonight and I feel he's pretty much done. He was pretty simple actually, an underpainting in a mixture of transp. violet and tranp. dark brown.Then a top coat of a mixture of transp. light brown, transp. red and transp. yellow varying the paint where need be as you can see by the pics. Then I hit all the hihglights with trasp. yellow, added a touch of black and white on the face, and he's pretty much ready to ride. :D

AlpineAirbrush
04-28-2004, 12:50 AM
And the best part of all, 3 very satisfied customers! :D

Caterwallin'
04-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Kevin, thanks for the WIP on the horse! I have no technical questions. Very nice! This looked fun to do!

Your customers look VERY pleased with their room! That alone makes your effort worth while!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
04-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Dang it. I missed your question, Kevin.

You look simply Mahvelous! heheheheheh

Tim

Caterwallin'
04-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Sorry Kev, I missed your question also! LOL!

Well, in all seriousness, I have made the decision to create a triumph ole' painting in my entry hall! I will take some photo's of it and see if you have any suggestions! It's not very big at all. I want people standing at the very front door to look in and see..................something!

Sam

AlpineAirbrush
04-29-2004, 12:53 AM
A Triumph in the hallway, now that would be novel, Sam. I've always been partial to the old TR3's myself !! :cool:

Be glad to help, although you don't strike me as a guy that needs much coaching in the airbrush dept. LOL !

Gee Tim , thanks for noticing ( I'm all ablush! )

HF AIRBRUSH
04-29-2004, 03:00 AM
hey kevin looks great...and for those beautiful smiles...you just cant resist :D

henk

Penny220
04-29-2004, 12:26 PM
hey kevin looks great...and for those beautiful smiles...you just cant resist :D

henk
couldn't have said it better.

Leaflin
04-29-2004, 04:18 PM
:clap: :clap: Bravo Kevin :clap: :clap:

What a great thread this has been!
And a wonderful ending with those gorgeous young ladies.

AlpineAirbrush
04-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks Henk, Penny , and Leaflin !

Towards the end of the project I kept thinking to myself " this is too much work for one room! ", but I'm sure glad now that I stuck with it. And yes, I'd do it all over again to be my daughters hero . :D :D :D

They think their dad is an artist ! hahahaha.

Penny220
04-29-2004, 09:01 PM
:)

Maryl Lehman
04-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Kevin, you did a wonderful job on the whole room! And your three beautiful daughters look very pleased! I missed your post, way back when, about the spray gun. Yes, your spray gun looks much like the ones I have. They are wonderful to have on hand, even if they intimidate me a bit! :p

~Maryl