PDA

View Full Version : Crimping Beads

sunshine1951
04-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Normally, I'm in the other "room" (glass art/lampworking), but I just love doing the finished jewelry too. Hope I'm in the right place here. Lately I've gotten brave enough to do necklaces with lots of my glass beads, even my larger ones, and these necklaces are now pretty heavy, but I really like them because they're so colorful. Anyway, I'm now paranoid about just the one crimp bead (sterling) on each end of the Beadalon Fine Wire, and would any of you think I'm taking a risk of not enough strength with only two crimp beads? Otherwise, would it make a difference in strength to use two on each end? Thanks a bunch! Sunshine

debkauz
04-25-2004, 09:55 PM
It could! I usually use 2x2mm crimps. When I do a big heavy thing, I will usually use 2x3mm crimps. I'm not sure that it really makes a huge difference, but it does make me feel better! :rolleyes: If you are doing heavy things, I would also recommend a heavier wire. I use medium softflex for almost everything. I only use fine if I am doing something like pearls or something very fine. You can do a crimp about 2 inches from the end of your necklace and then do another at the clasp. If you do the crimp well you can probably fit a bead over it to cover. I have never had anything come apart, but I do worry about it with the things I sell.

Debbie

sunshine1951
04-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Well Debbie, you read my mind. I am worried strictly about any gifts or sales, since they're leaving my "control" (I'm a control freak of course!), and I can't monitor if something would happen to the piece. Doing crimps that way, and definitely upgrading to the heavier gauge wire would give me more peace of mind. Thanks. Anyone's else's experience would be great too.

DonnaBee
04-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Neither of these gifted jewelry makers are my personal friends, (just want you to know I'm not shilling for anyone!)

I can't recommend the following two resources to you highly enough:

Kate Drew Wilkinson video Lampwork Bead Jewelry Design Made Simple

http://katedrew-wilkinson.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=40&osCsid=2b0d934d66d64a02b6a08b0230f0f8f4

and Kate McKinnon Workbook 2004

http://katemckinnon.com/ (click on "Workbook" link)

Both resources deal with these advanced issues you have brought up. Maybe we will be lucky enough to see more posts from the authors in this forum! They are both WCers and have been at the top of the field in lampwork jewelry design from before lampworkers frequented WC.

Sunshine, the fact you ask these questions means you are moving into advanced areas of lampwork jewelry design! :)

SuzyQ
04-25-2004, 10:19 PM
With heavier beads I like to use two crimp tubes. I put on one, a bead and then another. A pretty silver spacer that matches the clasp works well for those designs when no other bead used would work.

sunshine1951
04-25-2004, 10:39 PM
aren't you sweet and encouraging DonnaBee--even if you were "shilling" for these two, doesn't matter, especially if it's something I haven't read yet!! Gotta keep reading and studying ya know! I will definitely dig these books up, and the advice is reallyappreciated!

sunshine1951
04-25-2004, 10:41 PM
SuzyQ, I'm sure I would do this at the very least, as you advise. This should definitely be the beginning step for this issue, thanks.